Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

Sorry for the appalling pics, but TK Maxx in the Bullring, Birmingham, has a whole heap of decent shoes in at the moment - Crockett & Jones, Tricker's and Church's. (Un)fortunately no boots, but some C&J Handgrade, some loafers and bucks, and some shell C&J shoes in stock:

imag0237z.jpg

imag0230s.jpg

Prices from £170 for C&J loafers to £300 for Church's execrable 'Shanghai' distressed co-respondent shoe...

And then, after all this, I found these Sanders (makers of the McNairy shoes discussed above) for £60 reduced from £200. Apparently they were web exclusives that had been returned to the shop and were marked down massively to clear. They had a green suede pair that were a little too roomy, but I went for the close-fitting snuff suede. I can always get them resoled if I get bored with the crepe:

dsc04317p.jpg

Those two sets of boots look similar but if you take a closer look you can see some subtle but probably important differences. The LW have a generally 'bulkier' cut to them, not as slim in the heel or across the toe vamp and toe box area. The heel on the JL pair is more sculpted and sits a little further in under the ball of the foot. This gives a more balanced look to the boot. Granted to most people this makes no difference and the cheaper price would win out (LW are still good boots) but the JL are not the same boot (despite Ed's protestation) and to some folks would be worth the extra cost.

P.s. I have no dog in this fight and will most likely never own either pair.

imo, lux goods nowadays are valued not by its weight in gold.

meaning, the materials & specs maybe [comparably] on point, but the brand & market are major factors in pricing, more often than not.

... just sayin'

Edited by BrownMetallic

There are some obvious differences beyond the halfsole shape, such as toe profile, triple vs double stitching and storm welt vs goodyear.

Bottom line is that they're both really expensive specialty items and when you're spending big money, you don't want to come away with the second best boots.

The more I look at them the more differences I see. Granted it's comparing oranges to oranges but there is definitely a step up in detail on the Lofgren version. No matter how many pictures Ed posts. In fact that just enforces the fact that they are not the same.

The other factor in the price difference is the start up cost involved for JL and most likely the higher per unit cost because of the smaller quantity.

Edited by devilish

Nah, bypass that and get some crockett and jones coniston.

Who makes the woolrich one?

The Coniston would be a great call.

Or the Culford, by Alfred Sargent, if you can track one down. I know that Richard (shoehealer.co.uk) was selling off his old stock for £200 a pair. Could be worth seeing if he's got any left in your size...

ed why the hell does anybody have to justify and provide an explanation as to why the JL boots cost more? if you are that sure that they were made by LW, does it not translate across to you that the costs of making them FOR JL would be passed on to them (assuming that those boots were really made by LW? now LW wouldn't be dumb enough to charge them the same price that they charge for a pair of their own boots now would they?

No way in hell the Sanders made Woolrich are worth $600. I have some McNairy which were much cheaper than that and I wouldn't even pay what I paid again for a pair, let alone 6 bills. Any boot made by C&J or AS or for that matter some by Tricker's or Church's would be as good if not far better. Search around, you'll find them. I like that you want to support local business but there is sometimes a point where it's not worth it.

Recently picked up a pair of Chippewa 27911's that I love the leather and fit of, but hate the sole. I know coleslaw has a pair he sent to Japan to get resoled, and I want to do something similar, but without having to send them all the way to Japan. I don't think any of the cobblers in my area would be able to do a double leather midsole job, and I know sending them to Japan is going to yield the best results, but can anyone recommend a shop stateside I could mail my boots to? Marine, do you have any suggestions?

http://www.williesshoeservice.com/

They should be able to get it done for you. Christoph got his Road Champs resoled there with triple leather and a rubber half sole.

And regarding the Woolrich, Viberg becomes an option at 600. I would suggest that if you're not looking for a pair of UK country side boots.

Edited by wgmds

By the way, for those who wanted to know:

- The sizing on my "marching shoe" from whatpriceglory seems about right. I am a uk 8.5 on average (U.S. 9) (often need to size down for designer shoes as they always seem to run way too big), but yeah I am a UK9 in Reebok, UK8.5 in New Balance, Nike, and most shoes I try. My boots are U.S. 9 and fit fine, with a little room to breathe.

- I think this boot only comes in EE width too. I don't have wide feet, but my pair are EE but they don't feel wide at all.

Some other info:

- The finish and stitching isn't the "finest", but it's tough and has lasted without any problems. Very good value for the price.

- Leather INCREDIBLY stiff, but despite that, they didn't cause me any pain wearing them in. Just a lot of creaking and squeaking, hehe. Stiff leather usually ages really well, though, IME.

• sufu1 changed the title to Shoes that look better with age...