Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

You can try Zip Stevenson, but i'm sure he's not cheap either. The last time I spoke to him, he was charging $150, but thats probably not including the vintage rubber soles that he has. However, if you really want that deadstock sole, he has the most rare collection I've ever seen.

I'll always recommend Takeshi-san in Japan. He knows exactly how to do it right, even if it costs an arm and a leg.

Just in case there's any doubts about c&j, skye since 2008.

cj1.jpg

Recently picked up a pair of Chippewa 27911's that I love the leather and fit of, but hate the sole. I know coleslaw has a pair he sent to Japan to get resoled, and I want to do something similar, but without having to send them all the way to Japan. I don't think any of the cobblers in my area would be able to do a double leather midsole job, and I know sending them to Japan is going to yield the best results, but can anyone recommend a shop stateside I could mail my boots to? Marine, do you have any suggestions?

Recently picked up a pair of Chippewa 27911's that I love the leather and fit of, but hate the sole. I know coleslaw has a pair he sent to Japan to get resoled, and I want to do something similar, but without having to send them all the way to Japan. I don't think any of the cobblers in my area would be able to do a double leather midsole job, and I know sending them to Japan is going to yield the best results, but can anyone recommend a shop stateside I could mail my boots to? Marine, do you have any suggestions?

I have short list of shops that have been tested by a lot of my readers.

Well, Danner has decided to venture into the worker/dress boot section, with these pieces here. Can't post pic extensions here due to Google Chrome:

http://www.danner.co...sual-boots.html

http://www.danner.co...asual-boot.html

http://www.shoebuy.com/danner-jack-5/545749/1140193

My fav of the new as of late from them:

Here's the unfortunate side: They are all made in China (WTF?). I took a look at them selling on rakuten and they are asking ten times more on the shoes than what they are selling for here in the states, about $540 average. I don't even think they can be resoled. Grew up on Danner, so this has me divided at the moment.

Edited by mlwdp

Well, Danner has decided to venture into the worker/dress boot section, I don't even think they can be resoled. Grew up on Danner, so this has me divided at the moment.

I don't see why they couldn't be resoled, "classic 270 stitching" don't know what that is, but you can see in the picture of the sole bottoms that they are sewn on. This doesn't make them any more attractive though. Still love my Danner Lite's

yeah, it's definitely a surprise to see them making shoes in china and a complete turn off for me (though my mountain lights will ever remain the best hiking boots I've ever worn). as for the styling, I think it's "too much of a good thing". they're combining elements of the semi-dress, the indy, and the gentleman traveler and the end result doesn't the unique contours and attractive minimalism of those designs.

Finally found time to complete my project.

photo4.jpg

You never responding to any of my questions doesn't change the fact that you have the best looking pair of engineer boots ever.

I am completely sold that the higher ankle strap would cure all of my heel slip/flop issue in my boots. Now how to afford the pair reserved for me that arriving in a couple weeks?

Edited by illumin8em

A full house of Skyes...what do we win?

We haven't had enough zug in the thread recently for my liking, so here's something for the veldt crowd: a pair of Barbour-branded high-leg veldtschoen boots

dsc04437u.jpg

dsc04419q.jpg

As to who made them, I'm none the wiser and the writing inside doesn't give me much to go on. However, the only shoemakers to have produced veldtschoen boots in recent years are Cheaney, Tricker's (up till around a decade or longer ago), Sargent and Crockett & Jones.

Judging from the way the leather has aged, my first thought was Cheaney. Then I put them next to a couple of non-brogued Tricker's boots and you can see the similarities below. However, Tricker's only started lining their boots relatively recently (I have more unlined pairs of Tricker's than lined) and I've already said that they haven't made veldts for some time.

dsc04414z.jpg

With a Ripon-style boot and a veldt boot:

dsc04446p.jpg

The boots don't actually say that they're made in England (or anywhere else, for that matter) although the sole is a classic Itshide commando, which was made here. I know that veldtschoen boots aren't that easy to make (as per the comments of a couple of people I've spoken to at C&J), so doubt that they would have been specially constructed by a maker who didn't make them regularly.

Whatever, I'm going to find out a little more about them before doing anything. I got burnt last week when I sold an unusual Barbour jacket for what I thought then was an ok price, and then received a response from Barbour (jn reply to an earlier email from me) asking if they could have the jacket for their Head Office in exchange for a catalogue item of my choice...ouch...

• sufu1 changed the title to Shoes that look better with age...