Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

Anyone ever had this problem with their Alden's? These boots look better but for being less than a year old I just expected a little more from a "work boot".

tumblr_mezwzlmrBq1r7m94so1_500.jpg

Yep, similar issue only 4 months into mine. Not a workboot.. Nor a patch on 1000 mile in my experience.

Expected from Alden these days..

At $400 a pair, I don't think it could be expected, or accepted, in boots or anything else. Who has money to toss away like that these days? Cuz I want your job

My older pair of 405s have a heel that clicks, but that is the only issue so far

It is a shame that their QC has gone downhill. My early Aldens are all mint, but in the last few years, I've had at least three instances of returning pairs to the dealer, and having them comb through their stock to find one without flaws.

With the massive boom in Alden popularity, they can't seem to keep up with some of the key processes. Hopefully this won't be a trend - thinking of Viberg, their finishing and quality is miles above Alden, which is kind of ironic............

I want to get a pair of Alfred Sargent boots with last 87 but I don't know what size to order.

I've "blind-ordered" C&J with last 337 in size 9.5E (UK) and Loake with last 024 in size 9.5F (UK), and they were a tad too small on the length. Never tried fine shoes or boots in right size.

In trainers/sneakers i have:

Converse - size 11 (UK)

Adidas - size 10.5 (UK)

I could try on some C&J (seen many people refer to C&J sizes) at a local shop, but is it common to try on some shoes and not buying any? I feel kind of bad doing this.

Do you have any idea of what size i might have? I know that there is different sizes depending on brands/lasts (often +/- half size). My feet are medium wide. Thanks.

I've had trouble with Alden as well lately, mostly with the same last in the same size magically fitting completely differently. This has happened on three occasions. Additionally, my chromexcel Indys were abysmally stretchy; they went from snug fitting to impossible to fit comfortably with an insole in three months. Sold them and stuck with my OG brown waxhides.

At this point, I'm considering at a complete transition to Tricker's as I love my Maltons, though I do prefer an American closed heel for many outfits and have some concerns regarding their worthiness for work. I don't do physical labor every day, but when I have to it's often with little notice and I like my shoes to be up to the task. I tour with a band as well so my footwear needs to be durable and highly comfortable during those jaunts. If I do a MTO for these purposes, it will almost certainly be a brown zug Stow. Think it'll be up to the task, CTB?

I'm also considering a full switch to White's, so I have a pair of Bounty Hunters on the way to see how the White's arch works for me.

Can anybody who owns an Alden boot and the White's semi dress speak to the relative shaft height? Is it about the same?

Edited by Planetarium

Anyone ever had this problem with their Alden's? These boots look better but for being less than a year old I just expected a little more from a "work boot".

tumblr_mezwzlmrBq1r7m94so1_500.jpg

I had a similar problem with one pair of my Alden's - wrote them about it, showed them the picture, they told me to send them in for repair, free of charge. Returned them shined and haven't had a problem since.

Can anybody who owns an Alden boot and the White's semi dress speak to the relative shaft height? Is it about the same?

They seem to be able the same with heel sizes factored in and everything. I love my Whites. After getting them, the Aldens seem flimsy. Maybe it's just the thin sole, but my Whites can put up with the beatings that I have to give them, where the Aldens feel a little more like a man in khakis and a hardhat. Aldens feel more like shoes while the Whites feel like boots.

I want to get a pair of Alfred Sargent boots with last 87 but I don't know what size to order.

I've "blind-ordered" C&J with last 337 in size 9.5E (UK) and Loake with last 024 in size 9.5F (UK), and they were a tad too small on the length. Never tried fine shoes or boots in right size.

In trainers/sneakers i have:

Converse - size 11 (UK)

Adidas - size 10.5 (UK)

I could try on some C&J (seen many people refer to C&J sizes) at a local shop, but is it common to try on some shoes and not buying any? I feel kind of bad doing this.

Do you have any idea of what size i might have? I know that there is different sizes depending on brands/lasts (often +/- half size). My feet are medium wide. Thanks.

No idea of last 87, but the AS I own in last 88 and 89 both run a little large. Not sure if this will be of any use.

If you're in the UK, why not just order and return if no good? Or speak to Richard Smith at Shoe Healer for advice and see what price he can offer you...

I had a similar problem with one pair of my Alden's - wrote them about it, showed them the picture, they told me to send them in for repair, free of charge. Returned them shined and haven't had a problem since.

How long ago was this? I wrote them about another pair I had problems with after a week of wearing (heel pad came loose and tounge was sew in completely crooked) and even sent pictures. They wrote me back and said that I had to go through the shop I purchased them from.

I think that a lot of companies were not and still are not prepared to deal with the rather sudden interest in the made in america, traditional production thing. Nobody should accept shitty work, regardless. I have not owned a pair of Aldens, but I have seen this issue bitched about for a while now. When I was looking at boots, and was considering the Wolverine 1000 mile boot I was appalled when I saw the way it was made. Even my Bakers Oxfords have pretty bad stitching consistency and they cost $300 and took 8 weeks to make. The construction is top notch, but you can tell the normal White's guys didnt do the work. Probably the newer, less experienced guys.

I've seen and heard of a lot of Alden trouble as well. It really is a shame because I've also seen what a good pair of Cordovan Alden's is capable of when it comes to aging. Shoes over 15y old with 4-5 rebottomings that really looked out of this world. Like Riff said; lets hope Alden (and others) can get their QC up to their old standard again.

@Ilumin8em, I know you own both SD's and SJ's. Are there any fit differences between the 2 lasts?

To me, the the only difference is the Semi Dress has slightly more room in the uppers (not the sole) than the Smoke Jumper which I even out with the thinnest Dr. Scholl insole available. It is not a difference that you could make up for by sizing down in length or width, it is too miniscule, and barely noticeable. Everything else feels identical to me.

• sufu1 changed the title to Shoes that look better with age...