Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

Just a quick question, is it hard to pair viberg service boots with bigger hem opening? It looks fantastic with those small openings but never seen in bigger hem openings though.

That's funny because i think the exact opposite. I think chunky or large boots look ridiculous with small leg openings or tapered jeans but look great with a jean with zero taper or a traditional straight leg.

That's funny because i think the exact opposite. I think chunky or large boots look ridiculous with small leg openings or tapered jeans but look great with a jean with zero taper or a traditional straight leg.

This is exactly what I was thinking this morning when I read it. Are people getting the impression that these are sleek low profile boots? I cannot imagine boots on this build looking proportionate with tapered pants (although I believe I have seen a photo of Brett Viberg giving it a shot). The other last that was used for the service boots would be a much better choice if you wear skinny jeans. But then again, things have been looking mighty strangely disproportionate around here for some time.

I wouldn't say service boots are sleek, but they're definitely less bulky than similar models that I've handled... especially my bounty hunters (although they do have a steel toe). To be honest, I thought they'd be more bulky than they are.

FYI the jeans in the picture are RJB 106s. To my knowledge, they aren't tapered. The thigh and leg opening measurements are damn near identical to many straight leg jeans. Personally, I couldn't wear anything larger... 501s look like JNCOs on me.

The 106BSP from RJB is my favorite fitting jean of all time. I wore a pair every day for two years and afterwards i was tempted to get the same jean again. There is zero taper on that jean, it's completely straight all the way down so it works really well with any type of boot and also sneakers if you're into the double cuffing thing.

I wouldn't say service boots are sleek, but they're definitely less bulky than similar models that I've handled... especially my bounty hunters (although they do have a steel toe). To be honest, I thought they'd be more bulky than they are.

This is a great opportunity to see a few side by side comparison photos. I would love to see them, and I am sure others would greatly appreciate it as well.... if you have the time and are willing

Thanks man, the pic helps. The other day i went to try on a pair of iron rangers, totally didnt suit me. Was wearing a pbj 007. And the iron ranger profile is real slim so looks slightly funny.

Currently i'm looking for a new pair of boots, laced up and the viberg service boots are a pair on my list. (Still looking around for better options). My hem openings are rather big and engineers are the only ones that can go well so far. Will post some pics soon :D

layne, I would be interested to hear a comparison review, specifically on the comfort of the bounty hunters versus the vibergs after you've put some time in them.

obviously the bounty hunters are built more like a heavy duty work boot (the semidress would probably be more comparable to the viberg service boots), but viberg has a great heritage of making work boots too.

will be breaking this pair from now on...

SAGARA Fine Shoes from Indonesia

IMPERIAL I

DSC_0033.jpg

DSC_0043-2.jpg

Lucaas, any chance of an update on these? In talks with them to get some Imperial I in sand. Are they any good? Update photos of wear if possible?

Edited by Bibil

Alden Ultimate Jumper back in at Leather Soul:

http://leathersoulha...boots-lsw-lsbh/

Such a handsome boot.

It really is. I was just thinking about this boots today, and how I always miss out on it every time is comes around (not this exact version though)

So did you order you natural chromexcel bounty hunters yet? I am so caught up trying to clear out unworn boot accumulation I haven't the funds

I did, I put my order in as soon as they announced the leather was available. Coming up on week 5 now. Soon...

Kyle from Bakers posted on Facebook the lead times for custom boots from Whites, Nicks, Wesco etc.. the other day. Im glad I got my order in and completed before the rush. Fucking Wesco's these days are taking up to 14 weeks for an order. Whites I believe are up to 9-11 weeks now.

edit: Just for accuracy's sake, the lead times are as follows as of 4 June 2012

Whites: 8-9 weeks

Nicks: 12-14 weeks

Wesco: 14-16 weeks (+$125 to rush teh job and cut the time in half

Drew's: 6-12 weeks

Bakers: 10-12 weeks

Edited by garden gnomes in space

i ordered my white's through baker's 9 weeks ago and they just shipped. at the time i ordered, i was quoted a turnaround of 6-8 weeks, so it does look like they are getting busier these days. makes sense since it's forest fire season.

i think 4-5 weeks is white's default turnaround (i.e. when they aren't backed up), so don't be disappointed if it's another 5 weeks until you see your boots.

yea, all of us who just received, or will be receiving soon our Whites got in at a good time. Not sure if I could stomach a longer wait than I experienced, which was right on the money with what they told me it was going to be (8 weeks). Fire season pretty much doubles the wait, and with all the freaky weather going on in the US, its no wonder shit gets backed up. 14 weeks for Vibergs sounds like torture, lol

Edited by garden gnomes in space

if the polar bears didn't convince you that climate change was bad, then just think of your shoes!

just my 4-month-old 875. nothing special, but these got me relapsed big time from years long shoes sobriety. worn almost everyday through the winter and maybe twice a week since it got warmer in new england. one obenauf's treatment about a month in. easily my most comfortable shoes.

7S55R.jpg

^nice tricker's!

couple of older pairs under renovation: a tricker's brogue boot (notice the lack of lining, which is a more recent addition, and also that the medallion is punched 'higher' up the toe-cap than more recent, similarly-sized models), and a beautifully aged lotus 'durham' veldt boot

dsc03133e.jpg

dsc03135j.jpg

dsc03134nm.jpg

Edited by CrashTestBrummie

blimey, where do you keep finding your supplies, ctb? THose look beautiful... and I've noticed that procession of lovely boots being auctioned by a certain ctb on the 'bay.

Discovered a shop with £210 Sargent veldt shoes last week, plus boots for a good price, will post details on Monday, as well as some lovely Tricker's veldt shoes, UK 7 1/2, for £190.

Edited by Paul T

blimey, where do you keep finding your supplies, ctb? THose look beautiful... and I've noticed that procession of lovely boots being auctioned by a certain ctb on the 'bay.

Discovered a shop with £210 Sargent veldt shoes last week, plus boots for a good price, will post details on Monday, as well as some lovely Tricker's veldt shoes, UK 7 1/2, for £190.

dogged perseverance, mate - and sadly those lotus are a 7.5 so no good for me! did you see those edward green/poulsen skone veldts on ebay the other week?

just for you, another pair. this time a pair of 8.5 cheaney pennines destined for auction:

dsc03138y.jpg

£190 would be a great price for a new pair of tricker's veldts - i saw a pair in c-shade gorse the other week. very different.

Anybody feel like holding the hand of a noob?

I'm about to make my first foray into the world of leather boots. Exciting! Thinking about Red Wing 9016's.

I read everywhere that you should size down on Red Wings, but does that hold true if you measure them based on the cm's of your feet? My feet are 27.5 cm's, so that should be a 42.5 - should I go 42? 41.5? I always wear thin socks and don't plan on adding an insole.

Also, I'm confused about treatment application. Mink oil seems to be a favourite, but should it be used when the boots are brand new, or once they are wearing in? I'm sure both options are used - what are the pro's and cons?

Thanks in advance! :)

• sufu1 changed the title to Shoes that look better with age...