Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

two tone lace to toe boots by Indonesian brand Santalum.

brand new at the moment, let's see how good/bad they will look after some use..

38685A98-6674-4D22-863E-35BC7E239A0B_zps

51AEAE4F-72F5-4501-A644-5A0875E5FDDC_zps

Edited by volvo240thebest

My CXL LTT's have broken in nicely but I'm always debating between lace/false tongue setups...I'm actually partial to the no tongue/yellow lace look:
13660814325_816725d405_z.jpg
13660839613_e329d1f75e_z.jpg
13660842563_5e3c609077_z.jpg

Yes, I had all the time in the world to swap out the laces and take pictures today...The only other alternative was unpacking boxes as I just moved... ;)

Quick question to the Red Wings experts, I pulled the trigger on a badly presented and thus very cheap pair of Red Wings Chukkas on eBay that look like this:

2c0owg.jpg

And not like the current models, e.g.:

red-wing-chukka-front.jpg

There's no model number anywhere on them but I'm curious, when did the style change?

Quick question to the Red Wings experts, I pulled the trigger on a badly presented and thus very cheap pair of Red Wings Chukkas on eBay that look like this:

2c0owg.jpg

And not like the current models, e.g.:

red-wing-chukka-front.jpg

There's no model number anywhere on them but I'm curious, when did the style change?

That looks like the 595 which is their regular workboot.

http://www.redwingshoes.com/red-wing-shoe/595-red-wing-shoes/595-red-wing-mens-chukka-brown

My CXL LTT's have broken in nicely but I'm always debating between lace/false tongue setups...I'm actually partial to the no tongue/yellow lace look:

13660814325_816725d405_z.jpg

13660839613_e329d1f75e_z.jpg

13660842563_5e3c609077_z.jpg

Yes, I had all the time in the world to swap out the laces and take pictures today...The only other alternative was unpacking boxes as I just moved... ;)

Great looking shoes.  All the options are good, but I like the tongue and leather laces look best -- I think ;-)

John

1K boots stock soles are crap IMHO. I've got mine back at the cobbler to replace the heels and put on a vibram. They should reduce the price or offer a couple of sole options.

Great mod Frey!

Edited by Noodle36

I gotta go the other way... I have tonnes of leather laces but they are mostly impractical and make you look like a 'try hard'. Go with the yellow... ;-)

-freyeisen

I gotta go the other way... I have tonnes of leather laces but they are mostly impractical and make you look like a 'try hard'. Go with the yellow... ;-)

-freyeisen

Ended up going with leather/no false tongue:

13727432504_d8f744fdd0.jpg

I do like the yellow laces but feel like it might cut into the boot more than the leather laces. Knowing Chromexcel's durability factor I'm playing it ultra safe...

Theose 1k boots who did the resole and how much?

I sourced the Vibram soles myself. Also got some Dianite and some "Dr. Sole" cord/rubber composite soles... but I decided to go with the Vibram because of the lighter weight and the change of pace.

The boots were expensive (its a joke in the EU), but the Vibram and resole job (done locally, Frankfurt Germany) were actually pretty reasonable. I just went to a local guy who was really good. I don't remember what I paid for the soles but the boot maker charged me €45.

Prices are relative, however, and I'm waaaay over capitalised in these boots. The problem was I didn't want to flip them and take a big hit on the price so I decided to pile more money in and at least end up a with boot that I was happy with...

...been wearing them for the three days straight, now! ;-)

Some shots of my one year old Red Wing 8113. Recently conditioned, rough-out has become pretty smooth. Just added new leather laces, too.

13764788055_00ffc8a0e7.jpg

13765149024_c206353776.jpg

13764781295_fd09485013.jpg

13764805763_c3507d9d46.jpg

Bonus (poorly taken :/) family photo. Next to new Road Champs.

13764809103_494ec62775.jpg

• sufu1 changed the title to Shoes that look better with age...