Levi's Vintage Clothing

And the comparison between the 1947's:

dsci1527.jpg

and again the 1955's:

dsci1556.jpg

Hard to show, but maybe you can see the tightness of the 47's (it's a 33", the 55's are 32") and the more greyish blue of the 47's redcast denim which I prefer. The 55's are more a classic royal blue. Nevertheless, I love both ;-)

it´s really disapointing that prices for lvc jeans raised that high,( that i can´t afford em anymore and even if I could I´d never spent more than 200euro for a pair of blue jeans), and still not able to produce authentic reproductions. the only denim of the total line that came was in use for the early late 90s repros but still didn´t show up with this beatiful slubs...

The 55s from a few years back were both the right weight and really dark in color and match a pair of originals (both were raw unworn) that a guy I know has. I haven't seen the newer ones but Paul had mentioned that even with originals there were variations in weight and color due to the differences in cotton thats available.

^that's some crazy leg twist! They're aging great

Talking about twisted legs:

dsci1519.jpg

dsci1552.jpg

After my experiences LVCs twist a lot more than japanese stuff, but correct me if I'm wrong. Got to edit a pic of my 44's later. As you can see- the point of twist depends on the wearer for sure, both pairs above shows nearly the same point of leg twist.

received 1947 501 sz 36x36 last Friday and hot soaked for ~20 min

pre soak measurements

W 18

FR 13

BR 16

Thigh 13

Hem little over 9

forgot to measure inseam but around 36

Post soak

W 17

FR 12

BR 15.5

Thigh 12 ish

Hem about 9

Inseam 33.5

I was hoping legs would shrink more but they didn't..I wanted the hem to be more like 8.5 ish..

Do you think I got all the shrink out of the way? or some more left? Should I do a gentle cycle in warm water?

The fit doesn't look bad at all but I kind of wish they were a little more fitted.. Too bad I couldn't go for 34x36.. I couldn't imagine wearing that after soak/wash.

pre soak fit pic

DSC05887.JPG

DSC05891.JPG

soaking..

my tub got stained...

DSC05895.JPG

Post soak fit pic

DSC05920.JPG

DSC05921.JPG

What's your regular size? Foolproof way (works best for me) is to go tts with LVC's. They shrink a lot, but you are always able to stretch 'em out (I've done this with ALL of my LVCs and they all fit great). Your 47's shrink more with future washes, but I'm fraid they're one size too big for you, if you're looking for a slim fit. I would soak 'em hot in the machine (at least 60 degrees, inside out, no washing powder). Maybe a half hour in the hot dryer, but at your own risk!

What's your regular size? Foolproof way (works best for me) is to go tts with LVC's. They shrink a lot, but you are always able to stretch 'em out (I've done this with ALL of my LVCs and they all fit great). Your 47's shrink more with future washes, but I'm fraid they're one size too big for you, if you're looking for a slim fit. I would soak 'em hot in the machine (at least 60 degrees, inside out, no washing powder). Maybe a half hour in the hot dryer, but at your own risk!

Wow, tts even with 47? I thought about getting 44s or 55s with tts but not with 47s.. are you saying they stretch back to raw measurements in the waist? even so.. it was a bit tight..with 34 raw. I'll try washing it tomorrow.

i always buy tts in the waist and wear them in the tub for a hot soak. then if possible i wear them dry or at least to damp. this insures they don't shrink too much and gives a custom fit. i buy tts in all models incl the 47's and even the notoriously small 37 201's. they all yield roughly the same fit in the waist because they shrink or stretch as needed to fit my waist. this method has worked well for me over the years. of course tts would not apply to the oversized LVC models. but one thing i have learned the hard way over the years---you can't fix too big.

Wow, tts even with 47? I thought about getting 44s or 55s with tts but not with 47s.. are you saying they stretch back to raw measurements in the waist? even so.. it was a bit tight..with 34 raw. I'll try washing it tomorrow.

For example: my 47's (from 2009) were tagged 33"/36", measured 32.5"/35 dry. After the initial soak they measured 31"/34", stretch back to 32" (my regular size) waistwise. Nowadays they measure 30.5" after wash and stretch back while wearing, the inseam shrank to 33". Perfect for me, I am a real 32/32 guy and like 'em slimmer. And yeah, colgems and b_F are right. You can also soak a slim Dry WITHOUT the waist or you put a hanger in the waist and button the jeans up. Or do it the good old bathtub way like colgems mentioned. In your case: soak em hot in the machine. I'm sure you'll get a satisfing result.

received 1947 501 sz 36x36 last Friday and hot soaked for ~20 min

DSC05920.JPG

Post soak fit looks alright to me, probably look even better after loads of wear and washes.

I seriously couldn't imagine myself squeezing into a TTS pair, and I'm slim.

Awesome as usual Dr. - I know your a wash fan, do you use machine? If so do you skip the spin cycle?

Thanks a lot. I've got my own theory: washing is good :D

Seriously, I care for my denims always in the same way: first two washes without spin cycling and with organic washing powder, after that regular machine washes with no extra care, but reduced spin cycling. And I always leave them hang drying in the air/ sun.

I don't think early washes are harmful, but I guess you'll get sharper (not necessarily better) contrasts if you delay the first wash. I got 6 worn in pairs and they all look good to me. Atm I'm working on my ROYs, my 37s and my 66. The both LVCs will get the regular treatment: no wash as long as possible (but I'm afraid I couldn't wait 6 months, my jeans always get dirty fast, but maybe this is also good for the progress ;))