Levi's Vintage Clothing

Can you tell me something about the 551zExx model? I have never heard of it before.

I believe this was the replacement for the zip fly 501 or 502 - basically the same cut, but sanforized. It was superseded by the 505, which was again Sanforized, but a slimmer shape. I haven't got my guide to hand which tells when they were produced, but I would guess these are late 60s.

Paul T, your 501 Visual Guide describes the 1901 501 as having an anti-fit. What is an anti-fit? Sorry for asking what many here might consider a dumb question, but a EU vendor is trying to locate a pair of rigid 14oz. 1901's in my size and I just want to make sure I have all of my ducks in order before I pull the trigger.

Once again thanks for your insight.

Paul T, your 501 Visual Guide describes the 1901 501 as having an anti-fit. What is an anti-fit? Sorry for asking what many here might consider a dumb question, but a EU vendor is trying to locate a pair of rigid 14oz. 1901's in my size and I just want to make sure I have all of my ducks in order before I pull the trigger.

Once again thanks for your insight.

Full in the seat and thighs. I thought that 1901s were 10 oz?

i don't want to fill the thread with useless junk, but i need expert help: i've been looking everywhere for a pair of levis raw selvedge 501's, (it's that time, i feel i need a pair of levis in my collection)

i need like a 36 waist by 36-38 length, or something that will shrink down to a 34 length. I don't know much about them, if they're sanforized then great...34 will do. does any american site sell these? i know they cost around $100 here in the states, i dont know if they're sanforized. in all honesty this pair is what really got me interested, i need an nice pair of jeans for work anyways cause my samurai's are getting too beat:

bf452a36.jpg

any help would be amazing!

It's a replica of the Nevada jeans, supposedly the oldest ones found (it's hard to keep up, there are others). It's like the 501, but more or a workwear pant, hence the ruler pocket. If you search here for Nevada jeans you'll find photos of the original. It\s great they've done a proper raw version of this, although the price looks a little scary.

I believe the Knappave are slightly different, and don't have the ruler pocket, although they're otherwise similar. I am not certain,, but my assumption is that the Knappave are 501 proper, and the Nevada are a variant; LVC seem to claim that the Knappave are slightly older. As I think I'm falling behind a bit on the newest, olderst jeans, I'll try dropping the archives an email and see what they say...

Just bought recently a pair LVC 505 1967 (slim fit) and a LVC 501 1937 Limited yesterday on oki-ni (with a 60% off niark niark). Very happy with both of them, particularly with my 505 !

Just one question, the thread should already have the answer but it's too wide to browse... My 501 1937 is a 32/34 pair; I usually wear 34/34 jeans. Do I have to worry about that ? Will it shrink a lot ? Right now the 1937 is a little bit short but it still looks very nice.

I don't know a lot about denim, let's say nothing. Thanks for your help !

@Paul T, I just had a look those two oldest ones, the knappave aswell features the ruler pocket, the only difference I could find are the "sewn on suspender buttons"

with the knappave... I was just wondering what make those japan 1880s that expensive...

@jean-claude, you should worry about the leg length, the waist easily stretchs back when wearing em while they are damp after washing, but the leg will shrink to 31",

so I´d only clean em dry or in cold water.

@Paul T, I just had a look those two oldest ones, the knappave aswell features the ruler pocket, the only difference I could find are the "sewn on suspender buttons"

with the knappave... I was just wondering what make those japan 1880s that expensive...

I stand corrected. I've emailed the archives, I'll let you know if I hear. So that would mean the Nevada replicas had clip on suspender buttons, and those on the Knappave are sewn-on? On the original Nevada jeans the buttons were missing, although judging by the holes that were left they were clip-on.

I'm even more confused, because the upcoming Euro LVCs are supposedly the 'oldest' jeans, and I don't know whether they're based on the Knappave or the Nevada - I guess it's more likely they are the Nevada, like those posted above. They're even pricier in the UK AFAIK, and you would think for that price they should be natural indigo denim, but I'm not certain that they are. The new info sheet is vague, too.

Just bought recently a pair LVC 505 1967 (slim fit) and a LVC 501 1937 Limited yesterday on oki-ni (with a 60% off niark niark). Very happy with both of them, particularly with my 505 !

Just one question, the thread should already have the answer but it's too wide to browse... My 501 1937 is a 32/34 pair; I usually wear 34/34 jeans. Do I have to worry about that ? Will it shrink a lot ? Right now the 1937 is a little bit short but it still looks very nice.

I don't know a lot about denim, let's say nothing. Thanks for your help !

How'd you manage to get 60% off then????

I am going to buy a pair of raw Levi's, but can't really find much info on a fit that I like. In their current line, I like the 514. I do not like the fit of the 501. The jean that looks closest to what I want is the LVC 1967 505.

I take a 32 in almost all of my raw denim.

what is the rise like on the 505?

And the big one, does anyone have fit pics?