Levi's Vintage Clothing

would anyone know where i could find specific measurment differences between a pair of LVC 47's tagged size 31 and 32 waist? i currently own a pair in size 32, and was hoping a smaller size would have a bit less of a rise and a smaller leg opening. any help is appreciated!

I'm liking my LVC '37 501's (on the right).

ELCRMNZ.jpg

Grant,

You know, this picture is funny because it makes you look short, which you aren't. Maybe the perspective is odd somehow.

-Jake

I was wondering if any LVC experts out there can help me with understanding or decoding the different color selvedge denim that Levi's LVC products are made from. I understand that different colors often designate a "time period" in which they were made. (ie Pleain white selvedge is pre 1900 I believe).

In my collection I have plain white selvedge, red selvedge, yellow selvedge, light blue selvedge, bark blue/black selvedge and even pink (natural pink, not pink from 100 washes) selvedge. Does anyone know if a particular color is from particular manufacturing country or factory?

Most all of the LVC I have were made in the USA, but I know Levi's imports denim from Italy, Turkey and Japan. So....do any of these selvedge colors link to a certain country or perhaps something else like denim weight?

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I was wondering if any LVC experts out there can help me with understanding or decoding the different color selvedge denim that Levi's LVC products are made from. I understand that different colors often designate a "time period" in which they were made. (ie Pleain white selvedge is pre 1900 I believe).

In my collection I have plain white selvedge, red selvedge, yellow selvedge, light blue selvedge, bark blue/black selvedge and even pink (natural pink, not pink from 100 washes) selvedge. Does anyone know if a particular color is from particular manufacturing country or factory?

Most all of the LVC I have were made in the USA, but I know Levi's imports denim from Italy, Turkey and Japan. So....do any of these selvedge colors link to a certain country or perhaps something else like denim weight?

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks!

AFAIK, the colors were not so much for the public to see where the denim originates, or to denote its style or weight, but for the denim mills to ID the destination. Few companies used a colored selvage line, until Cone started producing for LEvi's in the 1920s, and used a red line to denote the new, improved, heavier fabric; Cone produced denim for many other companies including Lee, and would tend to use a different colour line for each manufacturer - but it's quite possible that two denims with different selvage lines could be identical. Lots of other companies, both in the 50s,and more recently, opt for red lines either to evoke the look of the 501 fabric, or simply because it seems popular.

Although Levi's 1920s reissues have an extra blue ID line, I'm not certain the originals did - the ones I've seen varied, but mostly the early natural indigo deni simply had a white band, and tat was it. I don't think I've seen yellow Levi's selvage, but if they used it, I guess it was just to denote a different style from the 501's red line. Yellow tended to be associated with Lee jeans. Pink line denim was used for Lady Levi's, in an early example of sexual stereotyping.

But I've seen yellow and pink lines on many different styles of denim, probably produced by different suppliers, and used by different manufacturers, so it's impossible to infer anything significant simply from the colour of the line - except that, for Levi's, the red line continues to be identified with Cone fabric. Except that, just to confuse matters, I believe that the washed 501 repros use a red line because that's what the original jeans would have had, even though the denim apparently originates from Italy.

I am planning to get either Knappave 1880's or 1901 501. I need help/advise on which size I should get. My true waist is 32". My 501 55 is size 34" and post wash, is just about right. Should I get size 34" or size down for the above 2 models?

Okay, here we go again with the weight thing on the 1901 501. The Levi's online store lists them as 14oz., Oki-Ni lists their's as 14 oz. However, Cultizm and others list the weight as 10oz.. Can anyone here confirm whether or not Levi's actually produced this year's 1901 in both 10oz. and 14oz. weights? I'm licking my chops just thinking about the possibility of getting my hands on a pair of 14oz. 1901's! Neither Levi's nor Oki-Ni offer them in my size.

I had a look today, they look like 10oz, definitely not 14oz. BUT they have the wrong label, the old-style one, when it should be the 2-horse. If you're not a stickler for detail, the old label does look nice.

There's also an imminent Euro replica of Levi's newest, oldest jeans (ie the company recently bought a pair of jeans that pre-date the Nevada). These are like the Nevada jeans, but without the pliers pocket, and with a standard watch-pocket placing. I think it will be natural indigo denim, perhaps from Kurabo. Selvage waistband, single-stitched yoke. Available in both raw and distressed, very nice, very expensive.

One new introduction is, from memory, the 333 jean, a budget model. I haven't seen an original of these, but it looks intriguing, I'm expecting it will be a little like the 201.

I had a look today, they look like 10oz, definitely not 14oz. BUT they have the wrong label, the old-style one, when it should be the 2-horse. If you're not a stickler for detail, the old label does look nice.

There's also an imminent Euro replica of Levi's newest, oldest jeans (ie the company recently bought a pair of jeans that pre-date the Nevada). These are like the Nevada jeans, but without the pliers pocket, and with a standard watch-pocket placing. I think it will be natural indigo denim, perhaps from Kurabo. Selvage waistband, single-stitched yoke. Available in both raw and distressed, very nice, very expensive.

One new introduction is, from memory, the 333 jean, a budget model. I haven't seen an original of these, but it looks intriguing, I'm expecting it will be a little like the 201.

No 14 oz. 1901 -- that sucks. While I was searching for an online retailer that might carry a 14 oz. version of the 1901, I ran across a company in Spain offering the 333 (1910 No.3)you mentioned. An unusual pair of Levi's without the arcuate, do not appear to be self-edge and are listed as 'broken raw' whatever that means. Neat jeans though.. Here's link:

http://doshaburi.shop.multilingualcart.com/goods.php?lang_id=en&goods_id=196

Hey, just want to know some information on the LVC 1947 501xx. Wondering is it consider as low rise comparing to 1955??

Size for size they are pretty much the same. Both my raw 55's and 47's tagged 32" are no more than 11" front rise. I'd say thats a standard rise which sits about 2" below navel. The difference between the two is the 55's are much looser through the seat and legs.

lvc noob question: i want to buy a pair of made in japan jvc 47 501. one of the distressed ones, not the raw ones. im usually a 31 waist, but the measurements i found online are all much smaller than tagged. for example a tagged 32 has a waist around 29.5, while a tagged 34 measures around 31.5. the measurements for the tagged 34 seem like it will fit me better but that would be about 2-3 sizes above what i would normally wear. i know that it is generally advisable to size up when buying raw lvcs. is that also the case when it comes to a pair of distressed lvc? and if i do buy the tagged 34 lvc, will the waist stretch to an actual 34?

Guest heathunter881

quick question guys, does Levis 514s have a similar cut as MIJ Diors 21cm? i'm trying to find a nice skinny denim, not super slim though.

thanks for the link, Electrum, I only saw front and back photos of the jeans, and not the close-up for, for instance, the pocket, which looks great. I love these, because they represent all the obscure turn of the century jeans you'd see, which are rarely reproduced. it wouldn't surprise me if Levi's produced these to attack a specific competitor. The quality of the denim on these is great, i know LVC went to a lot of trouble with this fabric.

As far the the 14oz 1901, i think you're being a bit unfair, complaining that LVC aren't authentic, and then criticising them for using the correct weight! But I would check out both the Warehouse and Sugar Cane turn-of-the-century homages, they're both great and come in heavier denim, i believe.

thanks for the link, Electrum, I only saw front and back photos of the jeans, and not the close-up for, for instance, the pocket, which looks great. I love these, because they represent all the obscure turn of the century jeans you'd see, which are rarely reproduced. it wouldn't surprise me if Levi's produced these to attack a specific competitor. The quality of the denim on these is great, i know LVC went to a lot of trouble with this fabric.

As far the the 14oz 1901, i think you're being a bit unfair, complaining that LVC aren't authentic, and then criticising them for using the correct weight! But I would check out both the Warehouse and Sugar Cane turn-of-the-century homages, they're both great and come in heavier denim, i believe.

Paul, I don't think I'm being unfair. Authenticity is not a big issue for me unless I'm dishing out $500+, then yeah the jeans should be exact museum quality reproductions. The '33's I recently got on ebay are missing the NRA tag, have a cheap stamped metal cinch buckle like the '73's I had, but they have no manufacturing defects, are very rigid and very tough -- best jeans I've ever owned and for $123 I'm happy as hell with 'em. No, my complaint is with the inconsistencies I always encounter while shopping for LVC. Whenever I find a style I like then go to purchase a pair, Levi's, sufu and various retailers heve different descriptions of the same product -- the '47's being offered in three different weights with none of those weights being true to the original is one example. If you don't think that's not a real pain in the ass for a novice like me, then you should put yourself in my shoes. There's nothing worse than wanting to buy something you don't know much about only to find a long line of question marks for sale. Hell, I still don't know if the 1901 listed as 14oz. at the Levi's online store are real or another one of those typo's Levi's has a bad habit of listing. I've called Levi stores from coast to coast and no one I've talked to could give me an answer. Can you see why I get a bit frustrated from time to time? If the original 1901 was 10oz. and Levi's is now producing 10 and 14 ounce versions, I would like a pair of 14oz. whether they're true to the original or not. What;s wrong with that?

I guess Levi´s produces their exaggerted prewashed repros from a heavier denim, just to make em as long lasting as the ones made of rigid denim. If you buy a 400$ dollar jean which looks like a 80 years old one, you don´t want to throw em away after two months of wear. 14oz denim bares more sandpaper than 10oz, does it ;) Am I guessing logically?