Levi's Vintage Clothing

I agree.

I think I might retire the LVC 33's and 37's I bought pre - SF ... The oversize issue, plus the three years wear with a couple dry cleans, rinses and soaks and no real discernable contrast ... I am a bit disappointed.

Seeing all the fake Levis in Thailand didn't help. Neither did the recent changeover of staff at Cinch.

I agree.

. Neither did the recent changeover of staff at Cinch.

Is it just me, or do you find them a bit useless in there? I asked a simple question about what weight denim the 06/07 collection were in as it felt very light. The young fella in there just stared at me blankly.

It's a real shame. V, the old boss was great, so was Colin and the other guy. The new manager, Adam, seems pretty knoweldeable but if he's not around you're sunk.

Considering the fate of Selvage in New York (and sorry, but they were REALLY useless) I do worry about Cinch. When I went last summer, the Buttenheim shop looked better and the staff seemed more switched-on too. I remember the first time I went, happened to be wearing an early 60s 557, they asked if they could buy it for stock... can you imagine anyone in Cinch doing that today??

Nah- they'd probably stare and wonder if it were a Levis at all:)

Paul- where else in London is good? I can only think of American classics.

(apologies for taking this off track. There is a link, all these shops sell LVC)

Sadly, I think that's it. Dover Street Market had a few, Butcher Of Distinction on Brick Lane is pretty good, there are occasional LVC at Selfridge's, but Cinch and american Classics are the best we have. Mind you, it seems generally worse in the US. Makes you wonder how LVC get the volume, when they have such limited outlets.

It is freakin' annoying how much the size varies on LVC, no? There was a time you could tell exactly how much the raw product would shrink by trying on the prewashed - but now they're made in different factories so yo have no chance! There is at least two inches difference in the waist size between my 1947s and my old 1933s, with the 1901s and 1870s coming somewhere in between.

Could be the photos, or just the different sizes, but the yoke looks bigger on the 44s than the 47s; they both look good, though - the 47s remind me how much I like those jeans unwashed.

I think my next project is a pair of 55s, to wear unwashed, unsoaked. If they shrink in a cold wash seven months in, I'll sell 'em.

Yes thats right, if I´d take a dry 1947 501 in W32, they would fit real skinny and my 1944s are still baggy, although they had two hot soaks... it´s hard to get creases into the denim... and yes, the rise is really high. I hope the 1944s come back for next spring, I will get me a pair in W28 or W30 then.

Sadly, I think that's it. Dover Street Market had a few, Butcher Of Distinction on Brick Lane is pretty good, there are occasional LVC at Selfridge's, but Cinch and american Classics are the best we have. Mind you, it seems generally worse in the US. Makes you wonder how LVC get the volume, when they have such limited outlets.

The situation here in "fashion" Berlin isn´t better, now we only have Buttenheim, since Rock-a-tiki had closed... So I can be glad that cultizm and vintagedenim.de do ecxist...

It is freakin' annoying how much the size varies on LVC, no? There was a time you could tell exactly how much the raw product would shrink by trying on the prewashed - but now they're made in different factories so yo have no chance! There is at least two inches difference in the waist size between my 1947s and my old 1933s, with the 1901s and 1870s coming somewhere in between.

Could be the photos, or just the different sizes, but the yoke looks bigger on the 44s than the 47s; they both look good, though - the 47s remind me how much I like those jeans unwashed.

I think my next project is a pair of 55s, to wear unwashed, unsoaked. If they shrink in a cold wash seven months in, I'll sell 'em.

my washed 47s are tagged 38, but fit like a 35...

Well I'm not 100% sure that your shirt is from Korea and after 71, but I have seen white big E shirts with 'made in Korea' and 1978©.

I am not sure about the history of the white tab, so I can't date shirts by that alone, but I know why there are post 71 big E shirts.

This is very interesting. I've seen 501's that had small e Levi's on the inside tag and LEvi's red tab. I assumed they were made in the early 70's when the logo was changin.

Anybody has more info about post 71 LEvi's tabs? Paul T?

The situation here in "fashion" Berlin isn´t better, now we only have Buttenheim, since Rock-a-tiki had closed... So I can be glad that cultizm and vintagedenim.de do ecxist...

I thought Rock-A-Tiki only moved to Kopenhagenerstr (or something like that).

Last time I was in Berlin I couldn't go by there, but you're saying they closed down completely?

That would be a shame!

Good to see a Levis/LVC thread running. I can see both sides of the Levis v Japanese repro argument, my SDA 103 are one of my favourite jeans.

Been wearing Levis for many years, currently breaking in a pair of 1947.

I've got several pairs of LVC for sale, mostly size 36 and 38, BNWT. Pm me if you're interested.

I agree about Cinch, the old staff were better informed.

Has anybody seen the new 1966 501 for FW? I´m wondering if they became more slim than the last repros I saw of them, like the "Old Rinsed" from 2004, these were very loose on the knees, had a real bad shape imo.

Dejan at Cultizm says they won't be out until July.

I still had some credit at a friends shop, he used to sell LVC but stopped a couple of years ago. I was going through his sale rack and came across these!

Obviously I took them home.

They didn't have a tag or booklet on them anymore so I have absolutely no clue from what season they are and also what period they're reproed after.

There seems to be a picture of an old pair in Paul's book but there's not much additional info with it.

They appear to have been a limited edition since there's this number written in by hand: 148/240.

Ofcourse the people over at LVC couldn't just leave them untouched and had to do some distressing on them, but I think they did a fairly authentic job and I can live with it.

On to the pics (excuse the bright sunlight):

576090835_5fdf7e230f.jpg

576090987_e4733b79fd.jpg

576091259_b3257be178.jpg

Pocket is lined and has a nifty pen holder thingy also,

576091329_443e13166f.jpg

this opens up to expose some selvedge, can't think of a reason why that would be open though since if you put something in it'll be trapped inbetween the lining. (the white thing is one of those small cards that are stitched on and could probably be used to write info on but unfortunatly are always empty)

Note they are bartacked and there are no rivets to be found in the whole garment

576091419_5ce1beb81c.jpg

The denim is very light and soft, I'm guessing around 9 oz. perfect for summer or to slip them on over some other clothes.

576091531_06ecf51991.jpg

Label & number. Label reads: LEVI Strauss Make, Two Horse Brand, Trade Mark & every garment guaranteed

575973736_54ac4b23ec.jpg

buttons, back of the buttons make things only more confusing, since some of them are blank and others have either 543M or 379 stamped in them

575973772_e5a57f79a1.jpg

bartacked, half lined backpockets and no arcuates or red tab, I also really like the shape of the tool pocket

575973808_77b8ec8d7b.jpg

and finally the label

I'm pretty stoked about them and any info would be highly appreciated!

Thanks

They are cool As mentioned, they're from 2003, one of the best LVC ranges - in fact, I remember I was owed some jeans by Levi's for some work I'd done and nearly went for them... their name was \20s Kover-Up, 9oz denim, in a 'pounded out' finish which is "shiny , flat and compact... worn on the shop floor." I have the 1901 jeans, in raw and distressed, the 30s leather jacket and the Sunset Chambray shirt from the same year, and they're all great.

my digital camera is fucked, but when I get a new one I'll add a pic from the catalogue to this post. There's a very winsome, gamine woman wearing the distressed version on the cover... it looks rather fetching...

They are cool As mentioned, they're from 2003, one of the best LVC ranges - in fact, I remember I was owed some jeans by Levi's for some work I'd done and nearly went for them... their name was \20s Kover-Up, 9oz denim, in a 'pounded out' finish which is "shiny , flat and compact... worn on the shop floor." I have the 1901 jeans, in raw and distressed, the 30s leather jacket and the Sunset Chambray shirt from the same year, and they're all great.

my digital camera is fucked, but when I get a new one I'll add a pic from the catalogue to this post. There's a very winsome, gamine woman wearing the distressed version on the cover... it looks rather fetching...

Oh I loved that season really much especially that leather jacket, unfortunately I had to sell it, because it was too small, Large fit like Small... this jacket was produced by Aeroleather in Scotland... btw. for impatient people:

dsc00357qu8.jpg

dsc00359as8.jpg

for our luck my camera is working well;)