Levi's Vintage Clothing

hi guys, i did some research but just basically want affirmation before i pull the trigger

ive been scoping out some 1947 501s but am a little undecided on which size to grab. I tried on a pair of 34s and they fit me pretty decently, but thats without a soak......If i purchase a size 36, they will shrink to about a 34 waist? I read due to the fact that theres more material, 36+ should size up 2 in stead of one in order to compensate for the shrinkage....so i can go with a 36 and be fine?

I swear im not a newb, its just that the lvc thread doesnt have structure like some of the other denim superthreads. Thanks for the help.

and i guess it should be mentioned that im nut trying to get the nut-hugger effect here. Im taking a break from dior to let my balls breathe and better improve my chances of procreating in the future

If I am not mistaken, LVC 47 501 are generally made 1 size smaller than actual tag size.

My LVC 47 measured is as follows :

Presoak tag size 34" = 33" actual.

Post soak (hot) = 31" actual or around 81cm.

36" tag size (actual possibly 35"), post hot soaking should give you 33" ie around 84cm.

However, there are websites which states that the size only applied to 34" and below,

thus meaning 36" is a "true" 36"....maybe someone who owns a 36" can clarify on this.

mickolackis, those 201 are from the first year's LVC. These were probably a slightly inaccurate repro - the 201 was the budget model and normally had a linen patch - but a lot of people are real fans of this particular model including, FWIW, Eric Clapton; I've been asked a couple of times if I had any spare pairs, because he was buying them. But I think he's a 34 waist and he's not that tall...

Apparently, it's the cut, which might not be exactly the same as the original 201, but apparetnly Clapton likes it because, worn true to size, it's the same shape as the ones he wore in the early 60s, to give that Mod look. (Maybe they're a bit fuller, the guy himself must have filled out over the years!). I only know because Cinch in London were trying to source more pairs for him.

The later 201 reissues had the most fantastic fabric, too... even on the recent reissues it looks great, a very greeny tone. I'm not sure if these early ones have the same fabric, but I think Airfrog has both pairs and can probably tell us.

Some people might have seen this already, but there's more on the 201 here...

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?t=32894

Thanks for the replies guys. the 201's seem a bit narrower in the leg than I remember when I used to wear them, but I guess like Eric I've filled out over the last 10 years. I'm Kinda kicking myself now as LVCs used to turn up in TK Maxx all the time about 10 years ago especially the 501s, I shoulda bought the lot out.

I wish I'd know about caring for my jeans when i'd bought them as when i saw my legs were blue after I'd worn them I chucked 'em into a 40 degree wash and they shrunk quite a bit in the leg down to about a 34" from a 38".

I think I'll have a look round the board to get an idea about how to a age then nicely.

Skightly off-topic but I've still got my sta-prest and engineered Levis from when they first came out in the late 1990's, is it worth hanging onto them?

Got an original Levis Shorthorn Big E Westernwear leather jacket just about to pop on ebay but trying to date it.

I always thought Shorthorn predated Longhorn so this Shorthorn jacket would probably be dated from the 40's or 50's.

But just did a quick google and finding contradictory info some people saying Longhorn actually predates Shorthorn and vice versa anyone know for sure?

man, you scored, don't get rid of them unless they don't fit. if they don't fit sell them to me!

Got a pair of deadstock 555 '37 201's. 36x40 if i'm not mistaken (will check when I get home) Still with tags etc

Would be willing to let them go for the right offer.

Since we're talking about Eric Clapton... I've got a dvd of his where he's clearly wearing lvc. They have a crotch rivet and hidden rivets, which I think would make them 37's. If anyone's interested, it's the dvd/cd combo where he did all Robert Johnson songs called Sessions for Robert J; it's one of my favorites. Maybe i'll try to get some screen caps if I can get some free time away from school.

I have read this thread more than once and I don't think there has been much talk about the 501 '66 model.

I remember liking the fit when I tried them somewhere, but now I can't remember what size to buy them in. So my question is, do they shrink as much as the '47 or as little as the '55 model?

For reference I wear a size 33 or 34 in both 501 '55 and 505 '67 and a size 36 in 501 '47.

I have to join the choir and thank Paul T for his help, wit, knowledge and wisdom.

Do you guys know any places online that sell 1947 LVC 501xx?

preferably in the united states. Lookin' for a 32x38 or somewhere around there.

Thanks in advance

Do they need to be in the US because you want to try them on? The Levis Stores in Wicker Park and on Michigan Ave (both in Chicago) have been carrying them lately. I haven't been there in a couple weeks though.

-Jake

...I don't think there has been much talk about the 501 '66 model.

I remember liking the fit when I tried them somewhere, but now I can't remember what size to buy them in. So my question is, do they shrink as much as the '47 or as little as the '55 model?.

Erk, SImon, thanks...

I think they all shrink proportionately the same, it's more that they are each sized a little differently. ROb, who has compared both on the 501 visual guide thread... (http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?t=34010)... reckons that the 66 and 47 are very similar (this is for the raw, not the washed, versions), and therefore must both be made slightly undersize. But the safest way is to ask your retailer to measure the exact waist measurement, because you can get sample variation.

Do they need to be in the US because you want to try them on? The Levis Stores in Wicker Park and on Michigan Ave (both in Chicago) have been carrying them lately. I haven't been there in a couple weeks though.

-Jake

I just need a store online that carries them. I already know what size i watn (32x36 or 38).

But if you guys know any US sites that carry them, that'd be great. Thanks for the help though!

I just need a store online that carries them. I already know what size i watn (32x36 or 38).

But if you guys know any US sites that carry them, that'd be great. Thanks for the help though!

Not the US but try Cultizm - they are helpful and fast shippers. Also if they don't have a size, Dejan might be able to get it for you. I don't think Levis makes a 38 inseam though. Paul? Any more information on this?

-Jake

Not the US but try Cultizm - they are helpful and fast shippers. Also if they don't have a size, Dejan might be able to get it for you. I don't think Levis makes a 38 inseam though. Paul? Any more information on this?

-Jake

They certainly used to make 38 and 40 inseams in the old (Valencia st.) stuff, but I think the new stuff is rare if not impossible to get in longer inseams...

Here's the screen caps. You can see the crotch rivet, train tracks, and the fading on the hidden rivets. He's playing some nice Martins as well.

sdfkk1.th.jpgcrxj9.th.jpg

hr1po4.th.jpgtt1bk0.th.jpg

tt2qt0.th.jpg

Wow, I can't say anyone has accused Eric Clapton of having style. '37 501s and running shoes? What? Did he jog to the studio?

I just soaked a new pair of 47's yesterday. They fit ok except when i get up from sitting down or bending over the fabric sticks out at the rear where the back rise meets the yoke. It looks really bad from a side view and its bugging me. I've not had this from any other lvcs before. Is it the antifit / the way the back rise is cut / wrong size / will it settle with more washes ? Help !

I just soaked a new pair of 47's yesterday. They fit ok except when i get up from sitting down or bending over the fabric sticks out at the rear where the back rise meets the yoke. It looks really bad from a side view and its bugging me. I've not had this from any other lvcs before. Is it the antifit / the way the back rise is cut / wrong size / will it settle with more washes ? Help !

They will contiue to shrink for about 10 more wet to dry cycles. Live with and wear'm. They stretch back in tight areas and shrink it the areas of no resistance. STF...

lol, i was just about to comment about how clapton's look in those caps reminds me of seinfeld. If only he had on an oversized tucked-in button-up. In another session on that same dvd he's wearing some wallabees, which is better, i guess.

mickolackis, those 201 are from the first year's LVC. These were probably a slightly inaccurate repro - the 201 was the budget model and normally had a linen patch - but a lot of people are real fans of this particular model including, FWIW, Eric Clapton; I've been asked a couple of times if I had any spare pairs, because he was buying them. But I think he's a 34 waist and he's not that tall...

I'm currently wearing a pair of the 555 201's dated 11/97 size 34x36 and they are my all time favourites from LVC.

I've also got a 32x34 (11/97) and 33x36 (02/98) but they are a bit tight on the waist and the 32's will have to stay unwashed.

BTW I've got a pair of pre-LVC Big E's on ebay. Bought 'em from American Classics in the mid nineties, they have 0996 on the care tag.

Interesting story about Clapton because I was told a similar story by the guy in AC about a 'rock star' who was kee.n to get the 1955's back in the collection some years ago

I know this isn't LVC, but I think there should also be some discussion about the original Big E jeans.

So I just saw this pair on eBay - most of you have probably already seen it.

But check this out

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120242831076&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:GB:1123

Think about the stacking you could get... Diors don't get anywhere near these babies.

Do you guys think that Levis/Lynn Downey would snap this pair up?