Levi's Vintage Clothing

BLM

FYI - Here's a pair of the 1st Blue synthetic indigo 1873 (stamped 822, rather than 555) I thought you had for comparison pix of your 1873 natties.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Levis-Levi-Denim-Vintage-W36-L38-BIG-E-1st-Blue-Jean_W0QQitemZ230439398035QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMode_nach_Jahrzehnten?hash=item35a7422a93

I would snag them if they were 38/36 and not 36/38 :)

noticed that some posts where deleted so here we go again.. just want to share some pictures, Levis XX F/W´10. Here´s the link:

www.mindenim.se

It looks like they're really going to expand the line next season (are those LVC belts I'm seeing in one of the photos?). Appears there's a LOT of the pre-distressed stuff. Not sure I'm digging that.

I really think Levi is missing the boat when it comes to the emphasis on pre-distressing crap. Yeah, it's cool that you can re-create exact replicas of items in your archives, but I don't think people are interested in buying such pieces.

Is there a high profit margin for this? I can't imagine that to be the case. It must cost a ton to pay people to "stain" jeans and shirts and patch them up.

One example from the current season. They've put out a really cool 1930s "Bay Meadows" white t-shirt. The cut is really great, but it has all of these rust spots on it and "hand repaired" seams. Guess how much it retails for??? $135!!!

I can see this approach maybe working out for extremely limited runs of ultra rare examples of some of their earlier jeans (the "Nevada" jean, for instance), but it just doesn't make sense to me in other instances.

Anyway, enough ranting...

I thought I'd post pictures of some of my LVC jackets. The first is an LVCxAero collab from 2002(?). I know it is a season or two before the jacket posted just above. This thing is a beast (I think it's horsehide). The lining is amazing.

L1030424.jpg

L1030426.jpg

L1030429.jpg

The rest are various denim jackets. Note that all wear is "true," meaning they started off "rigid" or deadstock. This is a type II I picked up about 9 years ago (Valencia St.-made).

L1030430.jpg

The next one is my wife's. It's a 1930s "ranch" jacket. She's got some awesome sleeve combs going on.

L1030431.jpg

L1030435.jpg

L1030434.jpg

Finally, an 1873 wool-lined pleated blouse. This thing is amazing. Notice the selvedge throughout. It has the flat headed rivets and the denim is natural indigo. Also a Valencia Street product. I need to wear this one more.

L1030436.jpg

L1030438.jpg

I thought I'd post pictures of some of my LVC jackets. The first is an LVCxAero collab from 2002(?). I know it is a season or two before the jacket posted just above. This thing is a beast (I think it's horsehide). The lining is amazing.

L1030424.jpg

L1030426.jpg

L1030429.jpg

QUOTE]

Thanks for posting these pics Shorty. I love that jacket, even though back then the XXL didn't fit me (I think the fit is supposed to be short/snug). It's called the Lvc 'Ruff'n'ready' and even when Aero made them, they weren't happy with them. Something to do with the weight of the horsehide being inferior to the Aero model that they were based on (and they were 'aged'), and yet the price tag was more expensive than Aero's version (so I was informed at the time). I think they retailed at around £500-00.

Interstingly, there were two NON-distressed jackets that left the factory, and one sold on ebay for over £600-00 a few years back .

I bet it's cheaper to pick up an original !

I agree with your rant about the distressed T-shirt btw.

From that description I imagine most people in LA dressed like their waiting for their call to audition for the next Rob Zombie film but settling for a segment on "LA Ink" instead.

I was thinking more of the Jersey Shore

It looks like they're really going to expand the line next season (are those LVC belts I'm seeing in one of the photos?). Appears there's a LOT of the pre-distressed stuff. Not sure I'm digging that.

I Think that way they are trying to be more like a "normal" clothing brand.

I'm sure lot's of people don't know about breaking in denim. If they see a blue jeans in a store the might think "What's the deal with boring blue jeans?". Maybe they want finished versions and don't want to care about shrinkage etc..

If this helps to keep lvc alive, it's fine with me :D

Yeah, I remember when Aero made those. Ken at Aero always talked down about them. They had some sample/test versions for sale on their site and Ken said don't buy them, but it's probably because compared to Aero they were less of a jacket, but I wish I did buy a few of them at the time because they were like under 200 bucks if I remember...

I just received my Sunset chambray shirt from imogene+willie in Nashville and I must say it is a really nice piece of clothing. The staff at i+w are also extremely nice. They received a number of the tops, sweats, t's, etc., but I think they only have the '47s at the moment.

I'll post pics of the shirt this afternoon if anyone is interested.

You all probably know that Farinelli's is now carrying LVC. I noticed that the 1947s that they are carrying have brown arcruates not the typical golden color. Does anyone know why that is?

It looks like they might have used the same picture for the 47s as they did for the 44s accidentally??? My screen here is so small I might be totally wrong though

Yeah, I remember when Aero made those. Ken at Aero always talked down about them. They had some sample/test versions for sale on their site and Ken said don't buy them, but it's probably because compared to Aero they were less of a jacket, but I wish I did buy a few of them at the time because they were like under 200 bucks if I remember...

Jeez, does Ken still work there?

I really wanted one of those when they were in the sale, but the back length was like 23 inches max (too short for me). I wish Lvc was like Buzz, and did a long version (2 extra inches) too.

I know Aero still uses the tartan-check lining in some of their other Leather jackets.

Jeez, does Ken still work there?

I really wanted one of those when they were in the sale, but the back length was like 23 inches max (too short for me). I wish Lvc was like Buzz, and did a long version (2 extra inches) too.

I know Aero still uses the tartan-check lining in some of their other Leather jackets.

this was years ago.... late 90's I guess when they made them. Ken left like 5 years ago or so.... awesome guy to work with though!

From that description I imagine most people in LA dressed like their waiting for their call to audition for the next Rob Zombie film but settling for a segment on "LA Ink" instead.

i'm confused. have you seen rob zombie's movies? the people you see in mr freedom, RRL, craft, or this thread look more like characters from house of 1000 corpses or the devil's rejects. excellent wardrobes in both, in my opinion. lotsa vintage workwear and whatnot.

house-of-1000-corpses-20070919032400052.jpg

but i digress... it's no secret the prevailing fashions in LA are garbage.

The LVC ones were bloody expensive; at least $400. I got mine as a freebie when I helped with their exhibition. A lot went on sale, because of the poor sizing.

THe leather is decent - not the best. Not particularly heavy, and the lining isn't great. But the cut is excellent, very distinctive. I've tried on a lot of Aero jackets in the past, I think this is every bit as good.

this was years ago.... late 90's I guess when they made them. Ken left like 5 years ago or so.... awesome guy to work with though!

Dont mean to clog up this thread, but when/where did you work with Ken? Really nice bloke, very opinionated, great character! Maybe the Lvc vs Aero jacket thing was just because Aero didn't want the competition ( I can imagine people phoning to order a Lvc jacket, made by Aero, rather than the aero version would be a right wind-up!)

Saw the latest leather jacket from Lvc at Cinch last weekend - absolute rank it was..

I just received my Sunset chambray shirt from imogene+willie in Nashville and I must say it is a really nice piece of clothing. The staff at i+w are also extremely nice. They received a number of the tops, sweats, t's, etc., but I think they only have the '47s at the moment.

I'll post pics of the shirt this afternoon if anyone is interested.

Yeah, post some pics.

I got hooked on Aero back in the mid-late 90's. I was actually talking with Ken back in the day of becoming the US agent for them before Mark got it.

The 200 dollar LVC's were sample/test jackets not the final ones that did sell for 400... mostly those thunderbird ones...

The LVC ones were bloody expensive; at least $400. I got mine as a freebie when I helped with their exhibition. A lot went on sale, because of the poor sizing.

THe leather is decent - not the best. Not particularly heavy, and the lining isn't great. But the cut is excellent, very distinctive. I've tried on a lot of Aero jackets in the past, I think this is every bit as good.

I kind of like the leather on the blue-black (that the one you're talking about here?). I remember they made a special batch of blue mottled buffalo hide for this jacket, and offered that leather as a special option for a while for their other jackets.

The lining is boring for Aero. A red satin lining would have looked sharper, imho.

Dr. Heech- I always thought the Ruff'n'Ready was based on an Aero model too- despite LVC's claim that all their items are based on archival garments. It looks so much like a Bootlegger. But I saw what I think is the original Levi's jacket this one is based on up for auction on Ebay recently. Looks almost exactly the same, except for a few minor details. I saved the pictures, and I guess there's no harm in posting them here, since I'm not claiming credit or profit, but if it's a problem, someone let me know and I'll remove them.

Shortylong- great pics.The 2008 Lone Pine jacket is labeled as being made in Portugal, the 2005 Menlo is from Portugal and I think another version from Turkey. Maybe they've moved to ordinary clothing producers (not high-end like Aero) for production of the leather pieces?

4370674603_7c203e4af0_b.jpg

Roy6

Yeah, saw that one a while back, would have snapped it up if it was a (modern) size 44" - but not many originals turn up now, let alone in wearable condition/decent size.

A few have turned up at Heller's, but I'm never gonna pay more than £200 for a leather jacket

..ahem, apart from my goodwear, of course.

I kind of like the leather on the blue-black (that the one you're talking about here?). I remember they made a special batch of blue mottled buffalo hide for this jacket, and offered that leather as a special option for a while for their other jackets.

The lining is boring for Aero. A red satin lining would have looked sharper, imho./IMG]

I wasn't really slating it... a lot of Aero jackets are very heavy, horsehide or whatever, and this is kind of standard. But that makes it look more authentic less poncey, and the cut is the best; it has that extra quirkiness/glamour that not all Aero jackets have. TO summarise (I've been out drinking), their other jackets might be more heavyweight, but I think the LVC is cooler.

Roy6

Yeah, saw that one a while back, would have snapped it up if it was a (modern) size 44" - but not many originals turn up now, let alone in wearable condition/decent size.

A few have turned up at Heller's, but I'm never gonna pay more than £200 for a leather jacket

..ahem, apart from my goodwear, of course.

Did you follow what happened to that jacket? The guy had it up without knowing what it was, then took it off Ebay and relisted it with a proper description. The bidding went up to $900 something, but didn't make his reserve!

Wonder if he ended up selling it.

Did you follow what happened to that jacket? The guy had it up without knowing what it was, then took it off Ebay and relisted it with a proper description. The bidding went up to $900 something, but didn't make his reserve!

Wonder if he ended up selling it.

I didn't follow it due to it being way too small. But that sort of thing often happens on ebay now.

Lvc did a re-run of the R'n'R, think it was 2005 (?), but the quality was poor even compared to the 2002 season. Saw the latest offering in Cinch last weekend. Truly awfull jacket - didn't even bother asking about it.

I didn't follow it due to it being way too small. But that sort of thing often happens on ebay now.

Lvc did a re-run of the R'n'R, think it was 2005 (?), but the quality was poor even compared to the 2002 season. Saw the latest offering in Cinch last weekend. Truly awfull jacket - didn't even bother asking about it.

Was the rerun of the R'n'R in a different finish? A kind of weathered black?

I have a friend who works at Levi's and used to work in the LVC division around that time, she said the LVC/Aero partnership fell apart right around then, so I wonder if the second version wasn't even an Aero product.

Alright, I have to ask: how horrible is the new jacket and why?