Levi's Vintage Clothing

Hi

a question about fading : Why does a Jeans loose indigo in the thigh area?if there are some deep wearing signs it's clear but normally the denim just 'lies' on the thigh so is it the sweat?

A regular washing prohibits the denim from getting brighter in the thigh area. JUST in the thigh area? No matter how you wear it....if you wash regularly there won't be such fading like AFs 55?

Is this right?

Been lurking for a minute. Been wearing LVC for a few years now.

This is my first real posting, so first some basics...

This summer's project.

LVC 1947 (28x34) after one soak and 3 months of wear:

SANY1137.jpg

SANY1146.jpg

SANY1150.jpg

SANY1149.jpg

SANY1138.jpg

SANY1142.jpg

I'm a DJ by trade, so most of the work these see is loading, setting up and breaking down gear. Then of course they see profuse perspiration when I'm playing in hot, packed clubs.

I usually go a full 6-8 months before an actual wash but I think I gonna go ahead an give these a whirl in the machine.

Anyone advise otherwise?

I have two other raw pairs (a '55 and a RRL straight leg) that I'm dying to get started on.

Limon,

What zipper do they use on the '54 501Z ?

On the originals they used Conmar and Gripper, but on my 551Z's the zipper is small + unmarked.

(I think some of the repro Lee's have a Gripper-zipper)

Another example of Lvc cost cutting?

I had the 551ZXXz from 555 and those had a talon zipper.

Quick question (I asked it before but now I'll try shorter)

I understand the part, that when there are folds cause of wearing, these areas will losse indigo when washing. But why is the thigh are loosing indigo over time. Is it kind a "big fold". Or is it because of sweating? Because even if its a high wear area, the denim more or less just lies on the thighs while walking or sitting

thx

Limon,

What zipper do they use on the '54 501Z ?

On the originals they used Conmar and Gripper, but on my 551Z's the zipper is small + unmarked.

(I think some of the repro Lee's have a Gripper-zipper)

Another example of Lvc cost cutting?

Dr Heech - That's interesting, I just had a look and found out my '54 501Zs have got a Talon zipper. I'm not sure why your 551Zs is unmarked. I really do hope they aren't beginning to cut their costs this way.

Quick question (I asked it before but now I'll try shorter)

I understand the part, that when there are folds cause of wearing, these areas will losse indigo when washing. But why is the thigh are loosing indigo over time. Is it kind a "big fold". Or is it because of sweating? Because even if its a high wear area, the denim more or less just lies on the thighs while walking or sitting

thx

The thighs are like a high stress spot. With bending the thigh area somewhat stretches.

Yesterday I purchased a pair of LVC 1954 501s. Thing is, I'm quite new to denim so need a bit of help or advice regarding the washing part. I bought a size 32x32 waist (since it's shrink to fit), I'm normally a size 30x32, however, I mucked up with the sizing as I didn't realise at the time that the zip will buckle up after the wash. Not a major problem, but it's something I'd rather avoid. So this is what I'd like to do now when washing them first time:

1. Avoid any pre-mature fades from the washing

2. Minimise creases from wash

3. Somehow avoid the zip from buckling up or at least limit it

4. Avoid any indigo loss, I really like my jeans dark and don't want it loosing a huge heap of colour after the first wash, I know it will inevitably loose some bit of colour, but I want to make sure it's minimal

5. Make sure it doesn't shrink more than about 1" in the waist so it becomes too tight

I'd planned on hand washing it without detergent in hot water (about 40 degrees, or whatever is the hottest coming out of the tap), is this the best thing to do for the first wash? If so, about how long do you normally soak it for? And in the process, what could I do to limit the things mentioned above? I've been having a look around and it seems like there's no one way of doing it as everyone has their own ways, but perhaps someone with the same pair or similar can share their bit of advice. Anyway, thanks in advance, appreciate just any bit of advice really.

Best regards,

Dean

I've found that it's actually better to not size up with the LVC's. Unlike Sugar Cane's and some others, LVC's will only really shrink in the warp threads, meaning your only shrinkage is in the waist band and the inseam. The width of the leg and seat won't really change and any shrinkage you get in the waist soon stretches out.

I have a pair of the 54 501z, bought them around a week or so ago. I normally wear anywhere between a size 28 and 30. I bought 30s in these (the smallest size I could get) and it was fairly firm all over. I wore them in a hot bath for half hour. With a weeks worth of wear the waistband has now stretched out to much bigger than it was before soak.

Just my 2 cents about sizing and shrinkage with LVCs, I know other people are gonna have different opinions and experiences.

Dr Heech - That's interesting, I just had a look and found out my '54 501Zs have got a Talon zipper. I'm not sure why your 551Zs is unmarked. I really do hope they aren't beginning to cut their costs this way.

LR

Who knows? Anyway, how do your 501Z's fit? I would have probably bought a pair, but the really tapered leg put me off - shape wise, I tend to stay away from the slimmer silhouette of the '47's, 66's and 67's.

My 551Z's are slim enough, and the zipper doesn't really bother me.

..until it breaks that is!

LR

Who knows? Anyway, how do your 501Z's fit? I would have probably bought a pair, but the really tapered leg put me off - shape wise, I tend to stay away from the slimmer silhouette of the '47's, 66's and 67's.

My 551Z's are slim enough, and the zipper doesn't really bother me.

..until it breaks that is!

I liked them a bit bigger because they weren't as slim and felt more like a regular cut in a 32"x34". They just finished drying this morning and they fit perfectly around my waist so must have shrunk 1-2" and the inseam lost quite a bit, that was with just a little bit over luke-warm. Obviously the bathtub became yellow from the starch, but it lost quite a bit of colour as well, nothing too noticable though. Zip buckled a bit, as expected, but it's not bad actually. But yeah as I said, although they fit me perfectly now (especailly around the waist), I wish they were a bit more looser around the legs like they were when I got them. How much will they expand usually after wear?

I originally wanted to go for the '33 501s, might get them some other time.

I've found that it's actually better to not size up with the LVC's. Unlike Sugar Cane's and some others, LVC's will only really shrink in the warp threads, meaning your only shrinkage is in the waist band and the inseam. The width of the leg and seat won't really change and any shrinkage you get in the waist soon stretches out.

I have a pair of the 54 501z, bought them around a week or so ago. I normally wear anywhere between a size 28 and 30. I bought 30s in these (the smallest size I could get) and it was fairly firm all over. I wore them in a hot bath for half hour. With a weeks worth of wear the waistband has now stretched out to much bigger than it was before soak.

Just my 2 cents about sizing and shrinkage with LVCs, I know other people are gonna have different opinions and experiences.

Thanks teardrop, for me it's a bit late now unfortunately. However, after I washed them now, it does feel like width of the legs narrowed a bit, with a lot of shrinkage in inseam and waist. I'm also usually a 28 - 30 in waist, I didn't wear them in the bathtub just soaked them in lukewarm temperature. I've got no problem with it stretching, actually I hope it does a tiny bit. Will the width ever stretch much/at all, once it gets a bit softer?

Thanks teardrop, for me it's a bit late now unfortunately. However, after I washed them now, it does feel like width of the legs narrowed a bit, with a lot of shrinkage in inseam and waist. I'm also usually a 28 - 30 in waist, I didn't wear them in the bathtub just soaked them in lukewarm temperature. I've got no problem with it stretching, actually I hope it does a tiny bit. Will the width ever stretch much/at all, once it gets a bit softer?

Width of the thigh should give out quite a bit. I've had mine for a week now, constant wear every day, and the waist and top block have stretched considerably. Besides the inseam, they are definitely bigger now than unsoaked.

Been lurking for a minute. Been wearing LVC for a few years now.

This is my first real posting, so first some basics...

This summer's project.

LVC 1947 (28x34) after one soak and 3 months of wear:

SANY1137.jpg

SANY1146.jpg

SANY1150.jpg

SANY1149.jpg

SANY1138.jpg

SANY1142.jpg

I'm a DJ by trade, so most of the work these see is loading, setting up and breaking down gear. Then of course they see profuse perspiration when I'm playing in hot, packed clubs.

I usually go a full 6-8 months before an actual wash but I think I gonna go ahead an give these a whirl in the machine.

Anyone advise otherwise?

I have two other raw pairs (a '55 and a RRL straight leg) that I'm dying to get started on.

thats YEARS! i thought they would fade a little, but those look like mine that are only 6 months.

do LVCs not get visible/ contrasting atari, or whiskers or anything?

thats YEARS! i thought they would fade a little, but those look like mine that are only 6 months.

do LVCs not get visible/ contrasting atari, or whiskers or anything?

way to go at reading that guys post. and of course they do.

Does an area like the thigh area fade while wearing? Or does the process look like that: You wear your jeans for 3 months without washing. After these three months. ....will the thighs as a 'stress spot' be bleached? Or will they be bleached after first wash?

I guess, the thighs eg get brighter with wearing. Because even a heavy worn jeans will loose same amount of indigo everywhere if you wash them. Contrasts come from wearing them hard before washing? Right?

'm not speaking of deep folds (it's clear that indigo goes out a lil bit while wearing).

The thigh will still fade over time with or without a real washing.

Granted, not as much as areas with deeply compressed folds but fades will occur nonetheless.

Needless to say, washing periodically will accelerate any fade prone areas, in addition to removing some indigo from the entire garment as a whole.

Looking on the net,

apart from the stuff on the hanon site, looks like there's a really nice dark wool 'donkey' jacket available from the winter/fall Lvc collection. It has leather on the shoulders with two patch pockets and the green+black (i think) Levis strauss label on it. There was an identical jacket available by Levis Japan back in 2003, but it's nice to see that it may be stocked in Europe at last.

Come on Aero, where's the new stuff !?!

Thanks for the book, prochek.

if I look at this i think it woule be odd if lvc was discontinued. they put much into it, i think. and I also think there might be a chance that vintage ridgig denim is available a long time, isn't it? because finishing those vintage jeans might be a lot more work than just sewing them.

Does an area like the thigh area fade while wearing? Or does the process look like that: You wear your jeans for 3 months without washing. After these three months. ....will the thighs as a 'stress spot' be bleached? Or will they be bleached after first wash?

I guess, the thighs eg get brighter with wearing. Because even a heavy worn jeans will loose same amount of indigo everywhere if you wash them. Contrasts come from wearing them hard before washing? Right?

'm not speaking of deep folds (it's clear that indigo goes out a lil bit while wearing).

Depends. Most denim gets a good deal of wear at the thigh because its always being exposed to wear. Think about how many time you set your hand on your thigh in a day. Thnik about it like this. When you do your first soak there is usually indigo in hte water. Thats loss and loss over the entire garment. If you just wear'm then the areas that get the wear get lighter like the whiskers and combs and the thighs (look at photos of old origianls) but the contrast stays high because their has been no loss in the areas that aren't getting wear. When you finally do your first soak say 6 months you usually get this incredible contrast because of the areas of wear and you still have all the indigo except the first soak in the areas that haven't seen wear. It works for me.

...long time listener, first time caller... :)

My lvc 1955 501s are 'Made in Turkey'...guess I was expecting it to be USA?!

But do they still use Cone xx denim, or will it be something else? Seems strange to make them in Turkey out of imported denim?

They still seem really good quality, just wondering really.

...long time listener, first time caller... :)

My lvc 1955 501s are 'Made in Turkey'...guess I was expecting it to be USA?!

But do they still use Cone xx denim, or will it be something else? Seems strange to make them in Turkey out of imported denim?

They still seem really good quality, just wondering really.

Yeh all of the washed LVC jeans I've had have been made in Turkey. My Raw's are made in the USA though. I'm not sure what denim they use on the Turkey jeans, hopefully someone else can answer that.