Levi's Vintage Clothing

Wranglers would have flat rivets on the back pocket in the late 40s and on the bottom of the front pockets; plus those look to have Levi's-style rivets on the watch pocket. I don't remember the details of JC Penney or BOTR Copper King from the 40s... could be any number of jeans.

Again, lovely photos - thanks Mike!

1947?

Blue jeans, Winchester Model 12, and Savage Model 99.... old Vern knew what was up!

i was thinking the same thing. i've still got my model 12 but sadly let go of my savage 99 in. 250-3000 with a vintage lyman alaskan. i wonder what these old-timers would say us obsessing over denim and details. but it was easy for them to look good, just go to your nearest store.

i was thinking the same thing. i've still got my model 12 but sadly let go of my savage 99 in. 250-3000 with a vintage lyman alaskan. i wonder what these old-timers would say us obsessing over denim and details. but it was easy for them to look good, just go to your nearest store.

I bet you're kicking yourself for letting go of that Savage! I hope to have a 99 in .250 someday.

What would they think of us obessing over jeans? They'd think we've got too much time on our hands....

5265322149_ea3e7644b1_b.jpg

Great pictures. I love the late '40s/early '50s era American style. I wish women would still dress like this. When I first moved to San Francisco in the '90s there were a few girls around town doing this hot '40s camping mom look, but I haven't seen any in far to long.

I think it will continue.

If the results are good, I'm all in favor of it, personally. But it should be executed with clarity, so people know what they're getting. There will be more than a few people who've bought the 54Z thinking it was an authentic cut. only to be shocked with the modern, hipster result.

There have been other customised pants before, as I mentioned I especially like the Lot 66. And as ROy mentioned, with other items - I bet including the shawl knits and maybe jacket - they're repro-ing non-Levi's clothing.

I agree with that. LVC looks like it's doing three types of clothing now, straight historical repros, repros of customized items in their archives, and imaginary vintage in the RRL/MF style. I find merit in all three, but they really should be better labeled and explained.

i also thought they were wranglers. specially because of the patch on the back pocket. the rivet looks a bit like the ufo rivettes, and front pocket has a frog mouth kinda curved shape. so that could speak for cant bust em pants. but then waht about the leather patch on the back? interesting details.

I bet you're kicking yourself for letting go of that Savage! I hope to have a 99 in .250 someday.

What would they think of us obessing over jeans? They'd think we've got too much time on our hands....

i've let alot of good stuff get away from me over the years. but as hunting rifles go i got my matched pair of 1949 winchesters: model 70 30.-06 and 94 30 wcf (.30-30) to fall back on. all my hunting rifles and shotguns are 40's-early 50's. i love the workmanship.

Ok I am going to join the dots for you all.

In 1947 Lucinda Ballard customised 7 pairs of 501’s for Brando for the stage version of Streetcar named Desire (SND). He liked them — he liked them a lot! In fact he had the pocket bags cut out because he felt that Stanley Kowalski would feel himself from time to time.

When SND was made into a film Lucinda Ballard was again the costumer but she didn’t use those customised 501’s. It has to be remembered that the Hays Code was still in effect and they were probably considered too revealing for a film audience. Even references to homosexuality were taken out of the play when it was filmed.

Three years later, in 1953, Brando did The Wild One and again wore customised skinny fit 501’s. See the photo. I don’t know whether these were the Ballard customisation as on SND or a new one done on new 501’s. I suspect the latter.

Brando’s outfit and style created a huge cult immediately. The Schott Perfecto jacket, the cap, the whole outfit was copied endlessly over the next several years — even his sideburns were copied! It was a cultural phenomenon. It is likely that this copying extended to the customised slim-fit 501’s.

It is this customisation that is the basis for the ’54 501Z. Hence the date.

And this is why there is a washed pair of ’54 501Z’s on Cultizm called Rootless. It is a homage to the Biker-style roots. (Just as the washed version of the ’47 501 is called Guts for Garters — it is a homage to the WWII heroes who wore them.)

Ok I am going to join the dots for you all.

In 1947 Lucinda Ballard customised 7 pairs of 501’s for Brando for the stage version of Streetcar named Desire (SND). He liked them — he liked them a lot! In fact he had the pocket bags cut out because he felt that Stanley Kowalski would feel himself from time to time.

When SND was made into a film Lucinda Ballard was again the costumer but she didn’t use those customised 501’s. It has to be remembered that the Hays Code was still in effect and they were probably considered too revealing for a film audience. Even references to homosexuality were taken out of the play when it was filmed.

Three years later, in 1953, Brando did The Wild One and again wore customised skinny fit 501’s. See the photo. I don’t know whether these were the Ballard customisation as on SND or a new one done on new 501’s. I suspect the latter.

Brando’s outfit and style created a huge cult immediately. The Schott Perfecto jacket, the cap, the whole outfit was copied endlessly over the next several years — even his sideburns were copied! It was a cultural phenomenon. It is likely that this copying extended to the customised slim-fit 501’s.

It is this customisation that is the basis for the ’54 501Z. Hence the date.

And this is why there is a washed pair of ’54 501Z’s on Cultizm called Rootless. It is a homage to the Biker-style roots. (Just as the washed version of the ’47 501 is called Guts for Garters — it is a homage to the WWII heroes who wore them.)

Ha! I knew it! Thanks a lot for the clarification, Madder Would rep, can't, must spread, me n00b :P

Check out this post on one of my favorite blogs, about shotgun manufacturers who've been producing bespoke items since 1885.

No mention of price was made, but I'd expect one of their firearms to cost at least $40,000 and go up from there according to the amount of embellishment you want. Lovely pieces of art, but I can't imagine taking one in the field. The stock of my $600 field gun already has enough nicks and dings in it from just a few years of hunting.

Here's a link to their website. I noticed they have some pix of blanks for making stocks and forearms. With the figure in that stuff, that wood alone is worth thousands.

http://www.watsonbrosgunmakers.com/

I think the title of this thread should be changed to "Levi's Wintage Clothing".

I think you meant "Revis Wintage Clothing."

here is an older link i found.

its from a munich preview of some 2011 lvc stuff. are those the spring summer 2011 pieces?

http://craemerandco.blogspot.com/2010/08/levis-vintage-showroom-in-munich.html

the two tone shirt looks great. so does the leather jacket. i am wondering about the vest ?

justt a heads up, cultizm is having 25% off all LVC range for this weekend.

http://www.cultizm.com/index.php?cat=c14_LEVI-S--VINTAGE-CLOTHING--8482-.html

for minus the VAT tax the price is quite pretty..

I wonder what's up with the fire sale? I don't like the sound of "the bags are packed for LVC".