Levi's Vintage Clothing

THe 55 don't break that easily, but rather like the 44 you do get some attractive crocking, much more so than the 47. I do have a photo of the 55 after a few months I can't find right now, but the 44s are similar

http://www.trynka.net/trynka.net/501_1944.html

These have only been worn a few weeks, a bit of kayaking and immersion in Spanish rivers gave a fair bit of wear.

Dr, I believe Geir Tendberg and LVC introduced the 1937 '201', the 55 501 and one other model, maybe the 551Z, all at the same time - pretty certain I have a press release somewhere announcing them all at once, altho it's possible the 201 was the first to reach the shops. Don't know but would guess the 551Z used Kaihara; I think the other two had essentially identical fabric to the earlier Captial E boxed reissue. Wouldn't surprise me if they enlarged the fabric range with when they intoduced the 47, or the 1937 '501'. If we searched through the whole of this thread we'd probably find out.

The 201 are terrific - but hard to wear, the baggiest of all (check the fit pics in the 201 thread). The 1901 and probably the 1915 (with nicest fabric) are the easiest to wear of early LVC I reckon, plus of course the 37.

Paul,

I'm considering some 1933s I've seen for a good price. What are your views on those? I understand I should also buy TTS, ie size 32 for a 32 waist.

Paul,

I'm considering some 1933s I've seen for a good price. What are your views on those? I understand I should also buy TTS, ie size 32 for a 32 waist.

Yeah, they're great. Look out for photos of ROY6, altho most of them centre on his crotch. And yes, I would go TTS. (and check they're not made oversize, more dtails on the 501 visual guide thread). They might well have improved the recent denim, but if u check out The Clerk's jeans, here even the stuff from a couple years ago can look amazing.

THe 55 don't break that easily, but rather like the 44 you do get some attractive crocking, much more so than the 47. I do have a photo of the 55 after a few months I can't find right now, but the 44s are similar

http://www.trynka.net/trynka.net/501_1944.html

These have only been worn a few weeks, a bit of kayaking and immersion in Spanish rivers gave a fair bit of wear.

Dr, I believe Geir Tendberg and LVC introduced the 1937 '201', the 55 501 and one other model, maybe the 551Z, all at the same time - pretty certain I have a press release somewhere announcing them all at once, altho it's possible the 201 was the first to reach the shops. Don't know but would guess the 551Z used Kaihara; I think the other two had essentially identical fabric to the earlier Captial E boxed reissue. Wouldn't surprise me if they enlarged the fabric range with when they intoduced the 47, or the 1937 '501'. If we searched through the whole of this thread we'd probably find out.

Thanks for that info Paul.

It's because the only Lvc jean (US made) I have seen in a box is the 201xx, this is the reason behind my thinking.

But I think you are right, the third model in the original line-up was the 551zxx.

I know that I first saw the '47 model in Cinch in late '99, but I am certain that the Lvc 1937 '501xx' (which 1st editions had 643M stamped on the button-backs) were released in 2002.

But as you've mentioned before, some of the more interesting fabrics/models were around '99-02.

pm'd ya

NIce 201. Did you get them rehemmed?

Yes, they were re-hemmed. I was actually thinking about taking them in to have some of the rise taken up. But after reading this board decided against it... They are hard to wear, because of how loose they are.. Still I love the denim quality and feel.. I think the rise is like 14" or something.. not good for us skinny guys!!

Those are the women's wartime jeans I reckon. Very 50s-style tapered waist, Kaihara Sanforized fabric in quite a bright blue, pink selvage.

The seller told me it's slightly slimmer than 37501 and is 100% natural indigo, they look nice.:)

I didn't know they are women jeans haha.:D

The seller told me it's slightly slimmer than 37501 and is 100% natural indigo, they look nice.:)

I didn't know they are women jeans haha.:D

Hmmm. Slim is a relative term - but they will look terrible on a man; very carrot-shaped, cut with a typical 40s-50s womens' hip shape, high rise, tiny waist band.

they're not natural indigo, either of course.

Hmmm. Slim is a relative term - but they will look terrible on a man; very carrot-shaped, cut with a typical 40s-50s womens' hip shape, high rise, tiny waist band.

Thanks for the knowledge.:)That's strange....the tag says it's natural indigo.....

http://en.item.rakuten.com/eight-g/1026/

Anyway how about 503bxx?

http://item.rakuten.co.jp/eight-g/1025/

Ah, those 701 are some weird, messed-up repro of an imaginary never-produced vintage jean, with the wrong code number. I have seen them once before - they are a kind of 50s 501 shape with a cinch added in the wrong place. THey're rare but, honestly, they're junk.

Thje 503, is another strange one.. the code was originally for kid's Levi's; then 502 became code for the zipper 501, and I don't know what ahppened to the 503. Again, they're rare, but for the money... not very good. But they're interesting, not seen them before - thanks for posting!

Thanks for the knowledge.:)That's strange....the tag says it's natural indigo.....

http://en.item.rakuten.com/eight-g/1026/

Anyway how about 503bxx?

http://item.rakuten.co.jp/eight-g/1025/

Both these pairs say clearly that they are natural indigo. Where were they made?

I have a pair of the 701's and I really like them. While they are very high waisted (and I'm only 5'7") they are awesome. I love the denim so much. It has an amazing color and cross hatch to it. I like that the cinch on the back is lower because it makes it more visible. It also has a crotch rivet that's already begun to tarnish and they are barely worn. The fit could be better, but they are a really cool jean, despite not be a real historical repro. They could be improved upon fit wise, but fabric wise and detail wise I love them.

They ARE natural indigo.

I was just at the mill on saturday and saw looms producing denim for LVC which were natural indigo dyed. The dying plant even confirmed that they've done multiple runs of natural indigo yarn for LVC. They were machined dyed with oxidation periods very close to what they'd had it been synthetic indigo dyed hence the slightly darker shade.

They ARE natural indigo.

I was just at the mill on saturday and saw looms producing denim for LVC which were natural indigo dyed. The dying plant even confirmed that they've done multiple runs of natural indigo yarn for LVC. They were machined dyed with oxidation periods very close to what they'd had it been synthetic indigo dyed hence the slightly darker shade.

That remark was in reference to the 701 Lady Levi's which use synthetic. THere would be no reason to use natural indigo on them, as the originals were synthetic too.

These pairs, I don't know. Kurabo have done a lot of natural indigo denim for LVC, notably the '1873' pants that Farhad owns. But AFAIK the first run was for the NEvadas - according to Stefano A who spec'd up the fabric - around 2001. These are way earlier, close to the Capital E reissue (altho the Japanese could have sourced them separately, pre-LVC). It would be weird for them to say Nat indigo when they're synthetic so they probably are - but they're strange aberrations so anything is possible. Dr HEech, have you seen these? I've only seen the '701', in the Jeans For HEroes book.I am presuming, given the werid translatoin, they are Levi's Japan from the period of the dodgy 201. We have had another weirdo model with the mis-placed cinch here before, but I've searched this thread and get nothing for this 701XX.

I have a pair of the 701's and I really like them. While they are very high waisted (and I'm only 5'7") they are awesome. I love the denim so much. It has an amazing color and cross hatch to it. I like that the cinch on the back is lower because it makes it more visible. It also has a crotch rivet that's already begun to tarnish and they are barely worn. The fit could be better, but they are a really cool jean, despite not be a real historical repro. They could be improved upon fit wise, but fabric wise and detail wise I love them.

The jeans linked to? Please post pics! Especially of the tags. I was criticising them mostly because they're an imaginary repro, would love to see close-ups to the fabric, too. I hope you didn't pay 50,000 yen?