Future Urban Tech:)

Researchers from the University of Dallas in Texas have hijacked one of nature’s most intriguing phenomena — the mirage — to make an invisibility cloak. It can hide objects from view, works best underwater and even has a near-instant on/off switch.

To understand how it works, you need to first grasp the basics of the mirage effect. This unusual experience, sometimes seen in the desert or on hot roads during the summer, can trick your brain into seeing objects that aren’t really there.

It happens when a big change in temperature over a small distance bends light rays so they’re sent towards the eye rather than bouncing off the surface. So if you see a pool of blue water in the middle of the desert it’s just the blue sky being redirected from the warm ground and sent directly into your eye. Your brain, being the clever little computer that it is, swaps this mad image out for something more sensible: a pool of water.

With that in mind, the researchers wanted to find a material that has an exceptional ability to conduct heat and quickly transfer it to surrounding areas to mimic the light-distorting temperature gradients of the desert. That material, they found, was, sheets of carbon nanotubes.

The nanotubes — one-molecule-thick sheets of carbon wrapped up into cylindrical tube — have the density of air but the strength of steel. They’re also excellent conductors, making them an ideal material to exploit the “mirage effect.â€

Through electrical stimulation, the transparent sheet of highly aligned nanotubes can be quickly heated to high temperatures. By transferring that heat to its surrounding areas, a steep temperature gradient is generated, which causes the light rays to bend away from the object concealed behind the device. Therefore, the object appears invisible.

“It is remarkable to see this cloaking device demonstrated in real life and on a workable scale,†said a spokesperson for the Institute of Physics. “The array of applications that could arise from this device, besides cloaking, is a testament to the excellent work of the authors.â€

Aye. Gonna be a little bit of a long post, but I just got my hands on some of the new Endless Ammo styles for this Fall I had mentioned earlier in this thread. Stuff looks pretty solid, and the pricepoints are pretty unfuckwitable. If you're interested in sizing/measurements lemme know and I'll see what I can do.

Base Tee -- $30

Recycled Tri Blend, F-Stop Pocket

One of the best fitting tees I've tried on in a long time.

photobucket-1853-1317926755001.jpg

photobucket-2004-1317926816202.jpg

Operations Breaker - $130

70D Ripstop, F-Stop Pockets

Black and Grey available

photobucket-1116-1317926945099.jpg

photobucket-1398-1317926908216.jpg

Range Fleece -- $79

Black, F-Stop Pocket

photobucket-1628-1317926842084.jpg

photobucket-3716-1317926862014.jpg

also shown in all pics is the Garrison Pant -- $149

Speckled Tweed Denim

F-Stop Pocket

Fabric pic (shit quality, sorry...)

photobucket-1487-1317931847126.jpg

More outerwear drops later in the season, but I've checked most of it out already. They use Shoeller Nanosphere for most of the pieces, but are throwing in some pretty cool additions this Fall. Pricepoints fall in the same range, outerwear around $180ish, I don't think anything is over $200. Most, if not all made in San Francisco. Guys behind the brand are really good people too, some of the nicest I've met.

As I mentioned before, I'd like the see them tailor the cuts in a bit more, they can be a little roomy in the arms and cuffs, but most people I've seen that have tried it on in person have been stoked. Pricepoint is gonna be a huge + for these guys, they do a pretty solid job and they keep it affordable. If you got questions lemme know.

Sorry about the ugly model, it's BearCousin. Plus rep him, he needs all the confidence he can get.

So I wandered into the gap today while I was killing time at my local mall, and I noticed ALOT of very "tech-y" jackets. Nylon shells with down insulation that claimed water resistance, laminated zippers on hoodies and such, kinda weirder me out a bit. Is tech really the next big thing?

but I'd much rather see overtly teched out ninja dudes than the 'heritage' #menswear shit.

If people want to obsess over dope waterproof fabrics, than that's fine.

Thing is, 'heritage' #menswear is only shit because it's been diluted to the point of meaningless, no? - the same thing could easily happen to dope 'waterproof' #tech fabric ninja clothes.

I'm picturing SS-CP1 rips in crap fabrics, more wearable proportions, cheap closures, for one-fifteenth of the price, and worn round East End. Completely laughable.

only time will tell, but I agree w/ DÃœM would rather see people dressing techninj (even if it does go mainstream and get diluted). At least it would be ours rather than ripped off some previous generation.

I need those 2 jackets with the strange cuff adjustment elastic thingy system!

Those are also the only 2 items I really like, other jackets are not my thing, pants are ok but look like recycles of acronym designs.

Oh and is it my internet connection or is that slideshow mad lagging?