fw15/16

a9a97310_10919068_405302889643780_132877

I guess it's good they're re-releasing the all black qasas since mine have worn down super hard after around two months. :(

edit for diagramming:

rquRrrf.jpg

This is after two long weekends in NYC and light walking around town (around 2 miles). Slightly disappointing for the price to say the least.

Edited by exhaust fumes

I guess it's good they're re-releasing the all black qasas since mine have worn down super hard after around two months. :(

edit for diagramming:

rquRrrf.jpg

This is after two long weekends in NYC and light walking around town (around 2 miles). Slightly disappointing for the price to say the least.

My coworker has an old pair of tubular Y3's (patent wingtips) and the tubes cracked all the way to the upper in multiple places.  Hopefully they've corrected that problem as his are pretty old but who knows.

Are the Arc'Teryx Veilance vests pretty warm? I got a crescent down vest which is OK but it's so bulky I can't throw it into my gym bag, thinking of replacing it with a Arc Veilance vest. 

It's quite thin, certainly less warm than the vest you have. I think it is probably best worn as a spring piece. Also keep in mind that core loft insulation does not pack as small as down (although perhaps your vest has a thicker face fabric - the Mionn's is very lightweight). 

As far as water repellency and membrane durability goes Paclite is right on par with regular GORETEX products.  

The largest difference is 2L v 3L.

I personally feel that 3L fabrics feel nicer against the skin and wear better. I won't ever wear a short sleeved shirt under a 2L shell because of the clammy feeling I get from the membrane against my skin. However I will do this with a 3L shell.

Paclite's membrane is also prone to tearing.

Because the membrane is exposed and does not have a backer fabric protecting it, it can get tears and pulls from repeated abrasion. GORE advises to not bond directly onto the membrane (such as bonding on a pocket bag) because the membrane is not strong enough to hold up to the weight of a full pocket and could delaminate from the face fabric.

This is not the case with 3L GORE fabrics (the exception being fleece lined GORE 3L fabrics).

This is because you cannot seam tape or bond to fleece backers without mowing down the nap of the fleece which allows the seam tape and adhesive to have a strong and secure bond. Even doing this wont guarantee a waterproof seam and most of the time GORE will not approve this construction and the garment will not be allowed to be made.

There are a ton of factors and most of them come down to personal opinion. Some people love 2L and 2.5L shells because they are super light weight and packable. It's the same argument of merino wool against naked skin, some people love it and hate it.

Paclite is typically at a lower price point than regular GORETEX 3L fabrics. GORE will never say that one of their fabrics is superior to another but to me the cost of the fabric speaks very loudly in regards to this. Regular GORE 3L can range from 17-25 on average per yard. Paclite tends to be in the 15-20 per yard range. Once again these are just averages as I have not memorized the prices of every GORE fabric in their multiple swatch books.

Does anybody have any opinions on Paclite vs. Patagonia's H2No (the stuff used in the torrentshell)?

Has anyone heard anything about Japan centric Czech label Poutnik (by Tilak)? Did a little digging and apparently the line's designed by Acronym

I've handled a few coats in the DenimHeads store Prague (highly recommended!).

It's a nice collection, very much like older Acronym stuff but made with Ventile, quality is of course superb, as you would expect from ACRNM/Tilak, made in Czech Republic.

The label is quite limited and is still in development phase, expect more news this year.

Has anyone heard anything about Japan centric Czech label Poutnik (by Tilak)? Did a little digging and apparently the line's designed by Acronym

I'm in Japan and have seen it around. To echo the earlier post, quality is quite good, on par with Acronym. The cut and fit is exactly like acronym actually, much like tilak, but without the tilak branding. Poutnik seems to have a wider range of colors, although the collection appears to be quite limited. Prices are maybe a bit cheaper than acronym but not a huge difference.