I enjoy White Mountaineering but I can't find a piece where I would want to save up for it instead of buying more Outlier, for example. I would be more tempted to save for Nanamica, Arcteryx Veilance, SISP, or Acronym before White Mountaineering due to their exceptional functionality. I guess it feels overpriced more than other brands. Socks especially. I can get patterned merino socks for $10-$12 rather than $50 for a 80% acrylic, 10% nylon, 8% wool, 2% cashmere sock. If this blend has any specific performance attributes I am unaware of someone feel free to correct me. But yeah. Just my thoughts on white mountaineering. I would, however, have probably done whatever it took to acquire the White Mountaineering BLK tees. Mannnnnnn. Those still look great.6p6mAoi.jpg

Mountain tee, then birds, then forest. But I love them all.

I ordered yesterday some Converse X Schoeller.

appart from Outlier's Supermarine... are there other options for water resistant sneakers?

... by "water resistant" do you mean to say 'cutting edge tech fabrics'? Because, you know, leather or rubber sneakers are pretty water resistant and also pretty common. And there is a long list of goretex sneakers here:

http://www.gore-tex.com/products/men/footwear/walking/

Alas I don't know of other water resistant shoes made with supermarine or shoeller fabric...

Edited by SuE

I ordered yesterday some Converse X Schoeller.

appart from Outlier's Supermarine... are there other options for water resistant sneakers?

I recently backed these guys on kickstarter, we'll see how they turn out. Pity is I only get the shoes in april but they seem sturdy and hightech enuff enough for next winter..

http://forsake.co/about/

The big sneaker brands churn out a lot of GTX and membrane sneakers...Meindl track shoes have come through for me but that's function over form..

Sure, Schoeller is nice, but why want water-resistant shoes over waterproof like GTX?

Also, Supermarine is definitely not cutting edge or anything, just another label for the good old high density cotton weave + DWR.

Speaking of HD cotton fabrics, there should be a pair of Ventile "chucks" in Nigel Cabourn's SS13.

Edited by Brainboy

Damn. Sulfuric acid? Now granted its probably diluted but how sick would it be to have a jacket that could protect you from the acid rain of the future?

I recently backed these guys on kickstarter, we'll see how they turn out. Pity is I only get the shoes in april but they seem sturdy and hightech enuff enough for next winter..

http://forsake.co/about/

The big sneaker brands churn out a lot of GTX and membrane sneakers...Meindl track shoes have come through for me but that's function over form..

I backed them as well. Probably one of the things I'm most excited about on KS, but I'm kinda nervous about sizing, though. If I remember right, it's kind of a one shot deal where if they don't fit, you're screwed.

I backed them as well. Probably one of the things I'm most excited about on KS, but I'm kinda nervous about sizing, though. If I remember right, it's kind of a one shot deal where if they don't fit, you're screwed.

Think if they do it wisely they will ask for a foot drawing or give you the brannock sizing.. Thing I am worried about is the flex of the sole because with that much going on in the sole itself it might turn out too sturdy

haven't seen uglier shoes for a while and i don't really understand how cordura is considered breathable fabric, also the construction of grain leather (perfored=will soak) over waterproof cordura (shoe will stay wet) seems wierd. not to mention that the colour combinations look like they bought some discount leftovers.

The earphone hole is the only part that seems gimmicky, but even that is actually hidden by the lapel. I think it's pretty cool.

It's such a simple and basic bag. I use mine for day hikes or short trips around town so I don't have to carry stuff in my hands. It works well as a weekender too. I won mine from Outlier, but I don't think I would have purchased it full price. However, it did lead me to HMG and I bought one of their more functional backpacking bags which I absolutely love and have used every trip since.

As for cleaning... I've only cleaned mine once. I just took it into the shower with a soft sponge and used a little detergent. It gets dirty every trip so I stopped caring haha.

Seems like a easy bag to make w/ tyvek and some straps for like 4 max$.

Edited by EG562

Some University of Michigan researchers have developed a new "Superomniphobic Surface" coating that can supposedly repel any liquid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ICw5k1tDZSk

There's all sorts of sciencing I don't understand, but could be interesting to see if this catches on.

I LOVE it. Form alone can only go so far. Veilance just further increased its long term potential and viability assuming this coating is feasible to incorporate (economically and physically speaking) onto clothes..