Denim Repair

obsessis

• 2 weeks later...

No, just the 50 dollar base charge so far (which covers shipping both ways as well).

I think all that really needs to be repaired is the blowout which is pretty small and the belt loop stitching is coming unraveled.

Shouldn't be too pricy I don't think.

• 3 weeks later...

No, just the 50 dollar base charge so far (which covers shipping both ways as well).

I think all that really needs to be repaired is the blowout which is pretty small and the belt loop stitching is coming unraveled.

Shouldn't be too pricy I don't think.

have you received your jeans. if not what did they give you for turn around time. Im about to send them a pair

The GF has a pair of Civillianaire jeans that the zipper has broken - it separated at the bottom of the zipper. I contacted RCFG, and they said they could not replace the zipper, as the waist band needs to be removed. It also appears to me that other rather extensive dismantling may be necessary to replace it. 

Does anyone know of a tailor in the US that would be up to the task? Or would it be too expensive to be worth it? I'm trying to get her contact Civillianaire to see what they have to say. 

BTW - she's not into raw denim at all, but LOVES her Civillianaire's. They are Japanese selvedge denim sewn in the US, and are in a cut that fits her well and is very flattering. She's athletic with large thighs and hips (but not Serena big) and a small waist. She has a really hard time finding jeans hat fit her, and these are by far the best. She has quite a few pairs of stretchy fashion jeans that look good, but they are just throw-away clothes and look cheap. 

have you received your jeans. if not what did they give you for turn around time. Im about to send them a pair

Don't have the jeans back yet, but Tyler told me they should be finished up and sent out tonight actually.

He's been great with communication and letting me know what's going on.

Ended up paying an extra 30 bucks for the repairs, which were more extensive than I originally thought.

They did send me a detailed breakdown invoice of what they would be fixing, so the extra 30 bucks was justified.

Can't wait to have them back!

Don't have the jeans back yet, but Tyler told me they should be finished up and sent out tonight actually.

He's been great with communication and letting me know what's going on.

Ended up paying an extra 30 bucks for the repairs, which were more extensive than I originally thought.

They did send me a detailed breakdown invoice of what they would be fixing, so the extra 30 bucks was justified.

Can't wait to have them back!

cool. so sounds like about a month? glad you  are getting back

Speak of the devil, I just got a notice that my jeans are on their way back.

Tyler told me they had a bit of a crazy week when they first got my pair, so I think the turnaround now isn't as long as my pair has taken.

Repairing a pair of jeans really becomes more difficult if you wait longer - when the damage proceeds from a rip of the warp threads to a true hole where the weft threads are gone too.

Such as with this hole at the corner of a pocket of my jeans (although in this case it didn't start as a rip, but just as a hole that eventually became too large):

nUh0cSm.jpg

The problem with such a hole is that you precisely don't have the weft threads to give a guidance for the shape.

My experience, both wit a sewing machine and with sewing by hand, is that the two layers of fabric (the jeans itself and the patch behind it) are usually unevenly pulled at, with the consequence that the patch moves between sewing both sides of it. This causes it to bulge, which looks terrible.

One solution is to pull everything closer together than intended before sewing. Hopefully, then, both effect cancel out each other. If you pull everything a bit too close to each other, it can create some extra unwanted tensions, but usually it is not catastrophic, I think. Better than a bulge in a weird place.

However, in this case, with all the very clearly visible lines, it created an asymmetrical appearance which looked quite weird. And which I didn't notice for quite some time, because it isn't really obvious when the jeans lies down 'flat' (or rather crinkled) in front of you. It is only clearly visible when you are narcissistic enough to look into the mirror or to make photos of yourself when wearing the jeans. (Hence the choice of photos in this post.)

A second attempt at a fix, this time using a ruler to make sure everything is positioned exactly symmetrically.

LOo6l1L.jpg

Seems good enough now, but I guess it just goes to show that there's always room to learn more! And maybe my experience can be useful for someone else too.

The GF has a pair of Civillianaire jeans that the zipper has broken - it separated at the bottom of the zipper. I contacted RCFG, and they said they could not replace the zipper, as the waist band needs to be removed. It also appears to me that other rather extensive dismantling may be necessary to replace it. 

Does anyone know of a tailor in the US that would be up to the task? Or would it be too expensive to be worth it? I'm trying to get her contact Civillianaire to see what they have to say. 

http://www.schaeffersgarmenthotel.com/denim-repair/

These guys will do it for $40 - not sure if that's worth it to her.

Alright so here's some photos of the repairs that Indigo Proof did on my OA02XX's.

Main issue was the crotch that needed repaired, and they really went above and beyond.

19tfQQn.jpgF5hzJHd.jpg

The left belt loop had started to unravel, so they refinished that too.

kyHAx85.jpg

Some button holes needed reinforcing.

wGOUaEq.jpg

Darned the coin pocket and repaired some front facing pocket stitching as well.

iAVGuHI.jpg

Back pocket was darned where my Wild Child wallet had started to poke holes through, added some fabric underneath to make sure it doesn't keep happening.

PgLyVrR.jpg

All in all I'm very happy with the work done and will send all future repairs to Rain and Tyler without question!

x- post from Small Questions:

Has anybody successfully altered a leather patch that is stitched all the way round so that a belt will slip under it a la Iron Heart/Ande Whall patches? 

Too many patches are too nice not to display.

x- post from Small Questions:

Has anybody successfully altered a leather patch that is stitched all the way round so that a belt will slip under it a la Iron Heart/Ande Whall patches? 

Too many patches are too nice not to display.

I imagine that you'd just need a seam ripper, some tough thread (possibly sinew), and maybe an awl depending on the gauge of the thread relative to the holes that are already in the patch. Then you'd just go through and rip out the sides and sew the corners down with the sinew!

And to stay on topic, a small couple of repairs to my seat and front pocket:

image.jpg

These Red Clouds are really starting to go now. I've had to make six repairs in the past month...

• 9 months later...

I think he still works occasionally, I hope so because I have a couple pairs that need work and so far he's hands down the best I've tried. try to send him an email melvinATmisterhandydenimDOTcom .

just sent him an email too. in case the official email doesn't work through here a second one melvinrakersAThotmailDOTcom

my tcb 60's need a third crotch repair (ykes!) further down the leg where the first two weren't done. I also want to send him the TCB 50's as I had the crotch repaired by a local tailor but the repair is absolutely ridicolous...

hey denim heads,

anyone have a good tailor to recommend? I need to repair my denim but i have no idea where to go. I'm in New York.