Freewheelers, Bootleggers Reunion, Bubo, etc.

rnrswitch

2 hours ago, AlientoyWorkmachine said:

It’s the end of the road as far as I’m concerned. It’s not necessarily obvious at first but it becomes so over time. 

This is exactly what I want to experience. Right now they are "like every other pair" ;) okay not really.  

But so many of you guys whose opinion I hold in high regard swear by FW that I kinda had to cave in and try them out. Also since FW gets more expensive with each run and the Yen is sooo low right now it probably was the best timing.

So now I wanna know if they are really "the best" jeans money can buy 🤔  my favourite brand certainly doesn't make the best jeans but they appeal to me on a sentimental value level.

I was looking at the FW 1947 the other day, too. They look like nice jeans and seem like they could be a good fit.

But eh, don't need more jeans, and to be honest my WH 1001xx have me completely satisfied on the vintage-style jean angle. I feel like anything beyond that is "better" past the point of diminishing returns, which is why I don't own Ooe or something similar. So unless some crazy good deal presented itself, no FW in the near future for me. But I do like seeing their jeans in action I guess.

For me, the appeal is in what they’re aren’t as much as what they are. I said “warehouse are the best Levi’s I’ve ever owned” but that was before I put in time in some FW stuff. For me I just mean well made generic blue jeans that are made in some way close to how they used to be without plastic. Fabric is subjective- they’re different. WH probably offers more dramatic fades, which I could take or leave. What’s not so subjective are two very practical things for me - the pockets on FW are much better fabrics and the stitching is much more durable. I also love the rounded back rivets. For me the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. Nice as WH is, esp when purchased from Japan, FW is just a better value to my mind. 

They both are nice and both offer good cuts - (most important thing!) to my mind. 

Edited by AlientoyWorkmachine

1 hour ago, shredwin_206 said:

@Double 0 Soul how are those 47s looking now? They got the terminator treatment right? Thrashed all to hell? Haha 

Actually, they were one of only a couple of pairs which i saved from this fate.. i put probably 18mths of wear into them and shelved them before they started to disintegrate. I pulled them on last month for the first time in a decade.. they're a great pair of jeans! i'm glad i didn't completely destroy them but then again i've got no idea why i'm saving them? they're too delicate to wear with any kind of frequency.

I see you edited your original post by way of an answer.

I didn’t read the McFly store comments.

The information I’d collected over the years came from military forums, blogs and auction sites.

There’s a bit of variation between contracts and, I’m guessing, how owners have measured. But as an example here a Large M-1948 (actual 1948 pattern since there were many) the pit to pit is 32” and the FW measurement is 31”

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/army-m1948-m48-fishtail-parka-cotton-1788739250

Anyway I guess the real question is what size do you actually need given the chest measurements are hovering around the 5 foot mark.

Edited by Duke Mantee

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/t1116538499

This size L FW version on Yahoo measure at 29

Planning on worn it over an two-piece or leather jacket that's sort of things, and 29" is plenty enough. just worry it will look a bit “contemporary” like what Mccoy has done to their parka line up. 

On 12/20/2023 at 8:49 AM, l13902733261 said:

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/t1116538499

This size L FW version on Yahoo measure at 29

Planning on worn it over an two-piece or leather jacket that's sort of things, and 29" is plenty enough. just worry it will look a bit “contemporary” like what Mccoy has done to their parka line up. 

… I can’t see what that shop is because I can’t get Yahoo Auctions here, but you saying 29” seems to confirm my point about variety of sizing methods. Strangely you didn’t refer McFly measurements despite quoting the shop earlier although Avenue, Speedway and others are also stating 30”+ for a Large

I’ve seen denims being measured with enough different approaches to give you an inch or more in size and they probably need to be a bit more precise.

Unless you actually need a 60” chest jacket we’re getting to the point of when an inch or so makes no substantial difference. The shoulder width will play a big part in the drape at this stage.

FW might be a bit slimmer than an original contract M-1948, but as I said, the variation of sizes depending on the contract year was noticeable.

If in actual fact you want to compare to a Real McCoys version that’s an entirely different question. I don’t rate RMC much so I don’t have any substantial knowledge here but a quick google gives one retailer stating a Medium is 63cm (25”) and McFly say a FW Medium is 73cm (29”) … I’d say that was a significant difference.

Edited by Duke Mantee

5 minutes ago, MJF9 said:

can you fit a denim jacket under the N1?

Haven't tried yet but will report back, it's a little slimmer than some of my other FW jackets but It might work.
The wool pile seems a little less thick than the MF deck jacket that I sold (which is a good thing IMO) so there might be enough room.

Duke I've been thinking about tracking the purple one down, the fit is perfect. Fabric drapes nicely too.