Sign in to follow this  
beatle

Denim Shopping info Japan. Stores and More

Yep, Mr Ooi in the RJB store is a really nice guy. If you walk from Nakameguro, get a coffee from Onibus then walk up the hill to the Evisu store, then RJB and finish at Warehouse. I really like the Daikanyama area.

I didn't go last time in Tokyo, but Mushmans is on my radar, despite being out of the way. 

Smart Clothing is a nice shop with nice staff, have probably mentioned that a few times already. Attractions store is down the way in Jingumae.

Is M'arijuan still open?

Moto® has a nice shop in Aoyama, and TCB makes some of their clothing as far as I know. That's not even mentioning their great boots.

At Last Co. is supposedly not far away from there either. 

I visited Marijuan in April so yes, I believe it's still open. That's another decent walking circuit of Smart Clothing, Marijuan, Marvin's and RMC.

Jelado is a couple of minutes from Marijuan and Smart Clothing

Ueno in Tokyo 

If anyone reading this thread is like me, i tend to travel with people, friends, GF, family, etc. Japan was no different. 

If you are with someone who has no real passion for denim (blasphemy i know) then going to Ueno in Tokyo is a great spot to go with those people. Hinoya and Americaya have shops almost beside eachother along with tonnes of other market style shops throughout the area. 

My GF and I had a blast there, around 2pm a bunch of businessmen just sort of appeared at the bars around Ueno and we ended up staying most of the afternoon drinking and having a great time with some random Japanese men who seemed to be blowing off work. 

All in I'd say Ueno is great for anyone in Tokyo who doesn't really have the time for a full on denim experience or who needs to drag unwilling parties around to shops 

Near forgot, If you pass through Kyoto, Tezomeya is a must.

Yeah, going with the GF meant I only got one good day of shopping in the Harajuku/Shibuya area.

If only we could organize some kind of guys-only stag denim trip to Tokyo...

Wow.... That would be awesome. Imagine all of us taking big bags of denim and shirts, who knows even boots! Haha. Anyway I'm working in Zhuhai, China. Travelling time will be shorter than from Singapore.

Yeah, going with the GF meant I only got one good day of shopping in the Harajuku/Shibuya area.

thats one hell of an idea 

I'm just saying. As long as the GFs and wives approve, of course. XD

I'm in.

Thanks a lot guys, that's plenty of denim paradise to make me bankrupt twice.

Doesn't hurt posting more for future sufu:ers adventures though! 

Awesome thread! Definitely helps for a future Japan visit

I'm in.

Would have to be next year if anyone's still interested. I think that would give people enough time to get everything ready.  :D

when this this come about? definitely down if this idea comes to fruition 

How about next summer? That would be enough time I think, and tickets should be cheaper after the sakura rush, but something like June would also be pre-typhoon season. It looks like ANA tickets for next June are going for a good price.

Edit: I'll make a new thread for this!

Edited by Iron Horse

does someone have a map of the aoyama , shibuyA, HARJUKU area? where timeworn , tenderloin , 45rpm ,FREEWHEELERS ,berberjin  is?

what are some places to go for non-vintage denim shopping in Osaka and Kyoto? 

^Pretty much every brand (Osaka 5) has their own shop/s in Osaka, so it's just a matter of what you're looking for! For Kyoto, my personal favorites are the 45rpm and Loftman shops (http://loftman.co.jp/shoplist), I always end up buying something I wasn't planning to...

2nd the recommendation on Loftman, they carry great range of brands.

Real McCoy had their shops in both cities.

Porky's is also based in Kyoto.

There's a fancy version of Hinoya in Osaka. Village in Osaka has a good selection of stuff (Full Count, SDA, Sugarcane, Buzz, Toys McCoy, Fob Factory, Barns, etc.) Have heard good things about the shop McFly in Osaka, too.

Edited by Iron Horse

Are domestic prices in Japan for shirts/jeans from TFH, Samurai, etc... noticeably lower than what we usually pay from US based retailers of the same product lines?

In general yes. The exchange rate is not as good as it was last year but you can still save some cash over buying from a store based in the US. Make sure you bring your passport when you look for denim so you can shop tax free

You know it seems like the difference isn't as great as it used to be. Maybe because im looking at a current exchange rate and stock bought from SE for instance that's older?

You know it seems like the difference isn't as great as it used to be. Maybe because im looking at a current exchange rate and stock bought from SE for instance that's older?

Yeah I think that is the case. I am taking another trip to Japan next month and everything is going to be about 20% more expensive now. Miss that 125 yen to the dollar when I got when I went last year. Glad I booked a bunch of hotels back in February. 

Last year was PRIME...Didn't get to do as much clothes shopping this trip but indeed, the exchange isn't as good :/

^Yeah It kind of sucks haha. I was looking into flights again (I need to stop... but it's so cheap!) and then checking the exchange rate and it's gone up quite a bit. When I went last April a 7-day rail pass was 235 (well I purchased in January and by April it went up to like 245ish). It's now 275 haha. 

last year cost me a fortune due to the AUD vs JPY & USD 

I found some pretty good deals to some new ski resorts that have been refinished, may need a snowboarding trip this winter...

Cool. I'm going to Tokyo in December and am looking forward towards picking up some jdm swag!

Whats the best place to shop for RJB, TFH, and Samurai?