The Flat Head

LFC4ever

Yeahhhhhhhhh. That said, I'm now feeling like a filthy mongrel because I still haven't washed my FH flannel after a few months of sporadic wear. I only ever wear it over t-shirts and henleys! Hopefully it won't shrink much.

It's not too unusual, unless if they get dirty I only wash my flannel shirts once every few wears.

It's not too unusual, unless if they get dirty I only wash my flannel shirts once every few years.

this is how i read this post

edit: and yeah, I feel like the more wear per wash the better/ i also usually wear a shirt so i don't care unless they're visibly dirty or very, uh, fragrant.

Edited by lerrr

I figured most of my Flat Head shirts are basically the same as one washed unsanforized denim where I will get a little shrink with a cold wash/line dry or I can get a fair amount of shrink if I hot wash/line dry. I've hot washed and machine dried a spring flannel to see how much it'd shrink and it shrank almost a full size. 

I washed my TFH 3002 for the first time and these things shrunk up even more.  I had some nice looking stacks going on with the inseam and now the inseam is just barely long enough.  This denim is not afraid at all of shrinking into nothingness.

I washed my TFH 3002 for the first time and these things shrunk up even more.  I had some nice looking stacks going on with the inseam and now the inseam is just barely long enough.  This denim is not afraid at all of shrinking into nothingness.

Notorious for needing two hot soaks to fully rid the shrink. What size did you start with?

Size 32 hemmed to 85cm inseam.  After and soak and then wash I'd say the inseam is probably pretty close to 30-30.5 inch.  Prior to washing I was kind of bummed out thinking I should have sized to 31 instead of 32 but now after giving them a wash I'm glad I went 32.

Don't even think two hot soaks would do it since a wash is a lot more aggressive. At this point though no sympathy for people whose jeans/inseam shrunk more than they thought they would, the thread is riddled with enough experiences that it shouldn't be a surprise at this point.

Happy they worked out though wilson!

sneaker game on lock!

Flat Head flannel shirt looks great- question, in general, besides great colors and sewing, what makes a Flat Head flannel, or any of the top Japanese flannels for that matter, better than a department store flannel? Are they thicker maybe?

Are they thicker maybe?

By a fair margin. Most department store flannels these days are thin, soft, and lose their shape easily. For a nice middle ground, and at a good price, try some vintage Big Mac flannels, just to see what a heavier weight flannel is all about.

Flat Head's thing isn't just heavy/thick for the sake of "durability", although it is true they are probably thicker than your average flannel. What makes them special to me is, like Max said, the shuttle-woven fabric shows a lot of variance on the outside part (you can see different densities of threads etc), the mother-of-pearl snaps are perfectly beautiful, it fits great on me, the inside is brushed, and last but not least (on the buffalo check) it's not a solid pattern, it's a herringbone made to look like a buffalo check but you couldn't tell unless you looked at it deliberately.

I feel like Flat Head is one of the only brands out there that pushes the quality and designs on everything they do, and haven't sold out and given in to popular demand. For instance, even though the signet collab might not happen because they are so difficult, I'm sure it's just because they have a very particular image for their brand and they need to make sure it isn't diluted through collabs, so we get these inane rules.

To add a little to Ben's post: Flat Head flannels, as with the rest of their shirting, have a huge amount of depth and complexity to the fabric and the weaving. You can honestly spend a good deal of time studying the ways in the which the patterns are created and what must have gone into designing and producing such a fabric. I have several TFH flannels ranging from the lighter weight Native Check (a masterpiece), to a heavy winter flannel that I wish I could wear more often. All of them stand head and shoulders above most other brands. For flannels, I think only Iron Heart can compare in terms of quality of execution but I much prefer the cutting and details of TFH.

Flat Head flannel shirt looks great- question, in general, besides great colors and sewing, what makes a Flat Head flannel, or any of the top Japanese flannels for that matter, better than a department store flannel? Are they thicker maybe?

Quality and attention to detail. I mean, it's like asking what makes a McLaren P1 better than a Hyundai i20? They both serve a purpose but one is an improvement in EVERY area.

Just got a pair of FH BSPs that have been soaked 3-4x in warm water and hung dry each time. Although FH denim tends to keep shrinking (mainly in length) more than other brands, does the hem opening/leg width shrink a significant amount over time with each subsequent wash or is the shrinkage barely noticeable?Any insight would be appreciated.

Edited by rmc

You will notice more shrinkage in the waist and the length than with the hem. Of concern at the moment is that you've only soaked your jeans. I speak from experience here: you need to wash them with agitation to get as much of the shrinkage out at this stage before you begin to wear them. Put them through a machine wash with a lower rpm spin (no tumble dry). The jeans are tough and can take it without losing any colour or crispness.

My boss soaked his 3002 once, washed it at 40℃ and then decided to wash it again at 60℃.

Which actually did the trick, they shrank perfectly. He washed them once or twice with agitation since and I havnt recognized any loss of inseam.