The Flat Head

LFC4ever

aren't the 3012 already "huge" in the thighs for Flathead?

From the sound of it sizing up might help, especially since you only soaked them and haven't machine washed them yet, right?

Because of you machine wash them, they will shrink a lot more.

Pictures would really help to jufge

How did they fit when you first got them, raw? Would you have been happy with the fit if they didn't shrink at all, and was the waist snug, perfect, or loose when you first tried them on?

If you need to sell them I'd recommend not wearing more you figure out what to do, at least to me i would value jeans only soaked as better than ones worn a few weeks that you ultimately decide not to keep

aren't the 3012 already "huge" in the thighs for Flathead?

From the sound of it sizing up might help, especially since you only soaked them and haven't machine washed them yet, right?

Because of you machine wash them, they will shrink a lot more.

Pictures would really help to jufge

I immediately thought the same. I had a pair in size 34 and still got the post wash measurements:

• Waist: 16.5â€
  • Inseam: 35.5"
  • Front Rise: 11"
  • Back Rise: 16.25"
  • Top Thigh: 13"
  • Knee: 9.5"
  • Hem: 7.5"
Edited by bod

Hey guys, I am thinking about ordering a pair of 3002's from Denimio since they have the poly-cotton stitching. I was wondering, how much shrinkage do you guys expect? I am trying to figure out if I should go for the 34 or the 33? I think my perfect post soak waist would be like 32.5, and have the waist stretch like .5". Also, how much does the rest of the jean shrink? I know it takes multiple soaks to get all of the shrinkage out, so I will be doing two hot soaks with agitation.

Thanks

Yeah get a 33 if you want it to be 33 in the end, but it'll go to 31.5" ish and then stretch back.

But wash your jeans hot to get shrinkage out. I promise they can take it - mine have probably been washed over 20 times and they're still contrasty! Plus you get insane puckering and train tracks, I'm not sure I've seen any more prominent than in my pair.

Edited by itsbenhere

Thanks for the replies. I think I am going to size up to 34. I am almost positive I will not be able to button 31.5, and I know that with extreme waist stretching comes pockets that are super tight. I think what I will do (and I know this is risky) is get the 34's, give them a hot soak, get them tapered, and then give them a second hot soak, so I still get the roping and puckering after the taper

Really can't say I recommend this approach honestly. One of the best things about flat head is that they offer A BUNCH of fits. I am positive that you can find one that will work for you sans tailoring.

If you tailor them, you need to worry about if your tailor will do a good job, and how the proportions are changed after you've washed them. I promise that if you ever plan on washing your jeans they will shrink each soak, and eventually will get to a point that could have been achieved had you washed them from the get-go.

Also, flat heads denim doesn't really pucker without a lot of washing. Take a look at most pairs - all of them are very flat and don't have much in the way of traintracks or puckering around the seam.

Best case scenario: You buy your jeans, spend more money to taper them, and they miraculously don't look wonky once they have shrunk to the full extent (but you still couldve saved money and avoided the anxiety of the taper job if you looked into all their cuts)

worst case scenario: You buy the jeans, spend more money to taper, they fit fine, a few months later you wash them and realize they're too small. Then you're stuck with selling a pair of modified jeans that have been worn a few months, it's hard enough to sell the jeans without the tapering. Also assuming the taper was done well and not a completely botched job. You also could have had a nicely faded pair of jeans at this point and will start off looking for another brand new pair.

Definitely recommend looking into more cuts, just buy from self edge and keep exchanging until you get it right, we can tell you what looks good even if it's just presoak!

Completely agree with Ben's post. There is simply no need to modify a pair of jeans with so many different cuts available on the market. If you have the option, buying from a bricks and mortar store like SE or BIG comes highly recommended as you can really nail the fit and take out a tonne of this guesswork. 

Also I misread, I have the 3005 so the 3002 size 33 may not measure 33. But the best thing about denimio is you can exchange or even return, so don't really worry about it too much. 

At the very least, find the right size and wash it to get shrink out. Then hem it to your correct length. I think you'll then realize you don't need a taper, especially for 3002... and last ditch effort post pics here so we can convince yo how good it looks without the taper :)

I do see what you guys are saying, but i like my hem to be 6.75-7", and a 34 in the 3002 will not get the hem that small. I like a knee that starts at around 7.75, because I generally will stretch the knees a quarter inch or so as well, and I want the thighs to be about 11.75. There aren't really any pairs that fit this perfectly, except for Ande Whall, but I want loomstate denim that is heavier than 13.5 oz. I love flat head denim. I know railcar does an amazing job tapering, so I am not too worried. Momotaro tight tapered fit is very close, but the knee is too big. They are what I have now. I haven't made up my mind completely, but there is almost a 100% chance I will get my next pair tapered, whether it is a pair of flat heads or something else. I understand the risks, but if I can get 99% of the shrinkage out, I am fine. Even my momo's shrink after every wash, but I stretch them out in a couple hours. 

If you're deadset on having a certain measurement for each area, then yes you probably will have to taper. But I still think that measurements aren't as important as you wear the denim.

And I don't have experience with soaking flat head denim, only washing, but Sugar Mountain can give you his experience on soaking only!

And I don't have experience with soaking flat head denim, only washing, but Sugar Mountain can give you his experience on soaking only!

Not true. I machine washed my Flat Head 3001 every couple of months. However they continued to shrink and the one thing that I would do differently now is give the jeans a wash and spin in the machine before wearing them and get all that shrink out.

Not true. I machine washed my Flat Head 3001 every couple of months. However they continued to shrink and the one thing that I would do differently now is give the jeans a wash and spin in the machine before wearing them and get all that shrink out.

Yeah, that's what I mean! I know that they kept shrinking on you, forgot the deets though

So heres the pictures of the jeans, yes the thigh is the only issue the 34 waist is about an inch loose and i can button them no issue at all. This is post soak with hot ass water, wore them twice outside for a bit but still didnt give at all. they suck sitting down for a long time

I do competitive powerlifting sooooo squating is my life and my legs are giant...

and if i were to sell them what would you value them at you think?

http://imgur.com/SHsCmA7

http://imgur.com/LZLbPDC

http://imgur.com/agb2plr

Edited by soldmysole2nike

god damn. your legs are giant! other than being too tight though I'm surprised the cut actually doesn't look too bad on you. but I still think they are too small. the problem is that the waist is already loose - you need to get something looser in the thighs but sizing up will make an annoying waist.

How set are you on the very small hem? Honestly for you I think that if you want something comfortable you're going to have to go with the 3005 or the 3003. I think the 3003 is looser. But they both have a completely different fit... which I think would look good, but you have to like it too!

but i can pretty confidently tell you that you aren't going to be happy wearing those in the long run if they're not comfortable now. they will probably shrink more.

Hard to say what to sell those for. I'm 

god damn. your legs are giant! other than being too tight though I'm surprised the cut actually doesn't look too bad on you. but I still think they are too small. the problem is that the waist is already loose - you need to get something looser in the thighs but sizing up will make an annoying waist.

How set are you on the very small hem? Honestly for you I think that if you want something comfortable you're going to have to go with the 3005 or the 3003. I think the 3003 is looser. But they both have a completely different fit... which I think would look good, but you have to like it too!

but i can pretty confidently tell you that you aren't going to be happy wearing those in the long run if they're not comfortable now. they will probably shrink more.

Hard to say what to sell those for. I'm 

lol i know having these legs is a struggle man it seriously is

So I folded them like 3 times so the hem is pretty good and stacks well when i let them down or roll them with boots on. But the reason i wanted these was because im not a big fan of the boot cut opening and wanted a more tapered leg since i wear jordans etc also. So I guess sizing up one would be good and jjust deal with a bigger waist and belt up like usual. but i want to be able to sit down and cross my legs fine without worrying about ripping them or blowing the crotch

Hi guys, first time posting here so forgive my lack of knowledge, but I'm looking at two pairs of jeans according to what you all have been sharing, the 3005 and 3009. This is my first venture into "real selvedge" jeans, so I want to make sure I get the sizing and cut right off the bat. 

I'm from an area that isn't too into the raw denim scene, so the closest I could find to something decent was the Uniqlo selvedge denim line. I tried on two pairs of size 33, the stretch slim fit and the regular straight fit. I've attached fit pics for each.

http://imgur.com/a/ag24y

http://imgur.com/a/kf0hs

I'm not sure if its very visible with the limited pictures I've shown, but I've got above average size thighs. I'm not a bodybuilder by any means, but I like to stay active in sports and biking so I have big quads naturally. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm going to assume that Uniqlo's jeans are sanforized and aren't intended to shrink that much after soaks/washes, so I'm using the measurements that the website provides to make my judgement call:

http://www.uniqlo.com/us/product/men-stretch-slim-fit-straight-jeans-selvedge-135741.html#09~/men/bottoms/jeans/stretch-slim-fit-selvedge/~

http://www.uniqlo.com/us/product/men-selvedge-regular-fit-jeans-146133.html#69~/men/bottoms/jeans/regular-fit-selvedge/~

Stretch Slim Fit sz 33: 

Waist (Relaxed): 35 1/4in

Hip: 40 1/3in

Rising Length: 9 4/9in

Thigh: 12 2/5in

Regular Straight Fit sz 33:

Waist (Relaxed): 35 1/4in

Hip: 42 1/3in

Rising Length: 9 4/9in

Thigh: 13 1/5in

I'm a little confused because depending on the website, the sizing for both the 3005 and 3009 differ for the size 33 pairs. Tate+Yoko has really different numbers than that of Self Edge, Rivet and Hide has different numbers than that of Rawr Denim, ect. I'm leaning towards the look of the regular straight fit, and also the extra room will help since I still need to bike a lot to commute around. I'm also looking at the 3012, but I'm not sure if that would be what I was looking for; I would prefer to have a smaller leg opening if possible, I like to wear low cut sneakers a lot.

Any kind of suggestions or advice would be much appreciated, I'm excited to get my first pair in the near future...

Edited by jeffori

I think the best way is to measure one of your own best fitting pairs like they do on the site you wanna buy them on. R&H and selfedge don't measure their jeans exactly the same that's why the measurements are different.

Jeffori, good choice on the flat heads! As you might be able to tell I'm a fanatic.

Good thoughts trying jeans on to get an idea, but you don't need to try on selvedge ones. Just find a pair of pants that you like and have an idea of what kind of fit you want. Measure the pants and post them here, we can help... 3005 and 3009 are both great choices. 3009 is straight tapered, 3005 is just straight. Here are my fits, to me they look similar but the 3005 is a lot more comfy

IMG_4112.jpg

Kz0y41a.jpg?1

MF3EnED.jpg?1

Edited by itsbenhere

Thanks for the replies, the fits look really nice Ben!

http://imgur.com/a/wpTZT#0

Here is the only pair of jeans that still "fit" me; I work a job that requires slacks most of the week, so jeans are not something I've bought in recent history. Casually, Im always wearing shorts. 

I used Self Edge's method of measurement, so please forgive me if there are any mistakes to how I measured, but from what I got, these are the numbers that line up most closely to what I saw in the photos:

Waist: 17.5
Front rise: 9.5
Thigh: 10.5
Knee: 8.5
Leg Opening: 7.5

The jeans are hardly flattering, but as shown, I have some pretty big thighs, so I need some room in that and the seat area. I tried to use a stationary bike to see if I could possibly commute wearing these, and my range of motion was severely limited and my thighs were squeezing against the fabric. 

What cut would be best suited for what I need? Also do you guys think I should size up from 33 to 34?