Studio D'artisan

LFC4ever

yea, don't worry about the 1 inch. i dint machine dry to get the absolute shrinkage. mine [33 inseam] was a result of 1-yr effective wear & multiple washes. i rarely machine dry_ 'only do it on a couple of pairs & usually on [already] well-worn pairs.

and right you are. sometimes it's too much and those gimmicks drag you away from the real product. there are times when I feel my Samurais are too full of gimmicks and I need just a proper, "real" pair of jeans. then I step into my Denimes.

For me, Warehouse, Fullcount and Studio d'Artisan would also fit that bill. Although I would remove the little white flag on the coin pocket on my pair of SDA (if I had one)

Just incase anybody picks me up wrong im not trying to talk the other brands down , im mean my samurais are usually the first pair of jeans put on and i love the whole attitude of the brand. Ive never owned a pair of naked and famous to comment on them but i think sda releases enough new denims to keep it interesting and there loopwheeled sweats and tees are up there with buzz and real mcoys

you realy need a pair of sda's bf im sure you would love them and now that you mention it a pair of fullcounts wouldnt go a miss either :)

fullcount 1101 it would be I guess. the 1108 is a classic but the cut wouldn't work on me (thighs). but the 1101 would be a nice option. just have to figure out sizing. but I've got time and enough stuff to wear meanwhile. SDA 103 (or 101) and the FC will come in the future :D

But Sda does come out with new special edition stuff every season... That's one of my favorite things about them. They do 21oz heavyweight and all kinds of different limited edition jeans.

For example:

http://www.tateandyoko.com/6-jackets/252-studio-d-artisan-d1558-18oz-slim-tapered.html

http://www.tateandyoko.com/1-jeans/164-studio-d-artisan-d1546-special-heavy-21oz.html

http://www.tateandyoko.com/1-jeans/165-studio-d-artisan-d1548-triple-crazy.html

The fact that they have a strong core collection that basically hasn't changed for 30 years is to be admired.

Plus they have 2 more new special edition jeans coming out next season... Another heavyweight 21oz and a natural indigo denim with indigo stitching. And, they will release a new skinnier fit called the SD-107 soon as well.

SDA deserves more respect. I think brands like Samurai and Flat Head are great, but SDA started doing this in 1979 way before any other "cult" Japanese denim brand.

i dont see why they need gimmicks when they have a solid product

( just my opinion )

because the point raised was why this thread doesn't move as fast as other brands when it's a great brand. my point was that great quality isn't enough to have people posting every minute with sizing questions, fading questions, where-to-cop questions etc. look at how fast the naked and famous thread moves where a new pair comes out practically every other month. the slow and steady fading definitely contributes to the thread's slow and steady movement. I think it's safe to say that the brands with the best vintage-looking, natural, crinkly fades (warehouse, sda, denime, 45rpm) also have the slowest moving threads

fast moving threads don't equal quality posts ;) just like you said, mostly they are sizing questions, fading questions, and where to buy questions.

those questions are mostly asked by "noobs" and those guys buy what's cool right now.

and cool are fast&easy fading, high contrast fading, slim and skinny fits, cool denim (insert "heavy denim 21oz+" for cool)...all those features the Osaka5 brands don't really fulfill (and they don't need to)

the hot brands right now are (for new guys):

N&F

Ironheart

Samurai

PBF

Flathead kinda slowed down over the last years

what brands did I miss?

but there's also a trend towards the heritage brands and made in the US brands

it's an interesting topic

Edited by beautiful_FrEaK

While this thread's on a roll...

Are there any left-hand twill D'artisan heads out there who can give me some advice on what to expect shrinkage-wise from my 001s. I sized down one from my 101 size as they are cut slightly differently; I initially bought size 32 (assuming they'd be the same as the 101s but they were huge so I exchanged them for a 31. It seems to me that the waist is a little higher and the thighs and hems (and therefore I assume the whole leg) are also slightly narrower on the 001s. In addition the inseam is longer - about 38".

Are these likely to shrink more or less than the rht 101s? Do they stretch out quickly and easily or are they similar to the 101s in this respect?

yea, the 00x models have higher rise & fuller top block than the RHT ones.

i've been hunting high & low for a 003 pair myself..

afaik, it's an automatic size down, from sd1-2. denim does not shrink as much, but stretches quite a bit more__ since denim becomes softer & more pliant. the the rht

I also looked at these a bit more in detail - same denim and cut as SD103, made in Okinawa, only 1-2 produced per day...

like them for the fact of referencing a special event, but can't make up my mind if I like them well enough to order.

On the other hand - got SD1573 incoming next week - pictures to follow...

I saw these in May at the SDA store in Tokyo... I think they are only available there. I totally forgot what the deal/story is with these but the patch is great/funny.

P5151367.JPG?psid=1

Edited by Foxy2

Only LH I got is from their Take5 10 years anniversary collaboration

kaj002.jpg

Have to agree with BM - whatever they'll shrink, they will certainly stretch back more than expected - SDO from your regular SD size (after checking the available size charts of course).

While this thread's on a roll...

Are there any left-hand twill D'artisan heads out there who can give me some advice on what to expect shrinkage-wise from my 001s. I sized down one from my 101 size as they are cut slightly differently; I initially bought size 32 (assuming they'd be the same as the 101s but they were huge so I exchanged them for a 31. It seems to me that the waist is a little higher and the thighs and hems (and therefore I assume the whole leg) are also slightly narrower on the 001s. In addition the inseam is longer - about 38".

Are these likely to shrink more or less than the rht 101s? Do they stretch out quickly and easily or are they similar to the 101s in this respect?

Edited by Foxy2

raaawr - nice fit, great evo!

dhalgren - appreciate any additional info on the natural indigo w/indigo stitching coming next season? thanks and I couldn't agree more - SDA deserves more respect. I have three pairs of their natural indigo denim and they are among my favorite jeans. good fit, solid construction, great denim!

Edited by lance