Denim World Championship - SuFu Division

Max Power

Anyone going to be doing their own repairs for this contest?

I've been reading up on sashiko stitching and watching some videos. I think I'll try to stick with sashiko repairs done by myself for this contest. Waiting on a few items to come in, I'm in need of a crotch repair and a back pocket patching already

If anyone has any really good tutorials for sashiko I would love to see them. I'm thinking I'll just stick with the standard horizontal (Yoko-jima) stitching to keep it simple and looking good

I thought of doing that, but I recently tore a big hole open from skating.

It's too big for sashiko stitching to be effective or for it to endure the amount of activity I do, so I'll be sending them to SESF within this month.

In contrast, when the knee blow outs and back pocket tears start fleshing out I'll most likely resort to some DIY repairs

Anyone going to be doing their own repairs for this contest?

I've been reading up on sashiko stitching and watching some videos. I think I'll try to stick with sashiko repairs done by myself for this contest. Waiting on a few items to come in, I'm in need of a crotch repair and a back pocket patching already

If anyone has any really good tutorials for sashiko I would love to see them. I'm thinking I'll just stick with the standard horizontal (Yoko-jima) stitching to keep it simple and looking good

i thought about sashiko repairs too, honestly I don't think its long lasting, especially not in areas of high tension, pressure, friction, whatever.

anyway, i repair all of my stuff by myself, replacing broken threads and patching up holes. maybe i would patch my knees in sashiko style, dunno.

Oh, forgot to post some pictures of my jeans.. The Tenders are going into storage until I gain 10 kilos, but the Sugar Canes are gonna be stickin' it out. Both have been worn about two months each. I only wore the Sugar Canes regularly once I entered the jungle, and they were handwashed around 10 times while I was there. They're not gonna win any contrast contest, that's for sure!

P8050141.jpg

XZGz2Dq.jpg

P8050147.jpg

Okay, thanks everyone!

Edited by chicote

quality quality post these, i enjoyed them thoroughly and learned something new. thank you.

may i ask are you a researcher? years back when i did my bachelor in cultural geography this was exactly the thing i had a mind for. strange how things been turning out for me and now i'm still toiling away the days in big bad bangkok haha. 

Thanks everyone! It's great to get such a positive response to this, gives me ideas of how I should structure all the articles I need to write to try and cover my expenditures :P

may i ask are you a researcher? years back when i did my bachelor in cultural geography this was exactly the thing i had a mind for. strange how things been turning out for me and now i'm still toiling away the days in big bad bangkok haha. 

Officially no, as I'm still working towards my undergrad degree, but I suppose before and during this trip I was doing quite a lot of research--mainly assessing the development projects that are taking place here and in other communities along the Pastaza. The Achuar are a group known for their careful assessment of these projects, which in other parts of the Amazon have often had disastrous consequences: loss of land rights, full dependency on the money economy, radical shifts in lifestyle from which thousands of years of traditional culture are often unrecoverable. Despite this, they don't have many tools at their disposal when things really come to bear: they have no way of easily contacting the outside world (in the case that oil companies or paramilitaries enter their territory, as has happened with their neighbors, the Shuar and Huaorani); many adults and nearly all children that I met were illiterate; and no international NGOs that I found in my research had devoted any significant amount of time to understanding their particular struggle, save one group that seemed to have provided legal help during a victorious 2011 land-rights lawsuit against a Canadian oil company.

This particular area also offered a good look at the many stages of westernization that have made it into the Amazon. Suwa was about in the middle as far as development goes: they had gas motors for their canoes, rifles for hunting, and a small school that received food and government funds and had just begun to offer English classes. But only a couple of houses had electricity, in the form of solar-powered incandescent lights, and everybody seemed relatively content with living where and how they did. In another community I visited (Kapawi), that was completely another story. They had an airstrip, a large church with a number of permanent missionary positions, a doctor's office that flew in student doctors from the cities, and a colegio (high school) that served a couple hundred kids from surrounding communities and had a periodic Internet connection. The younger generation had smartphones and tablets, some wore hair gel and makeup, and many I spoke with seemed hell-bent on moving to cities after finishing their educations in the community.

The main purpose of my work was to examine this process: looking at all the forces that turn a place like Suwa into one like Kapawi, and looking at the pros and cons of such a change, as well as the outside powers that help to shape this development for better or worse (NGOs, governments, extractive industries and tourist companies, etc).

I don't really want to hijack the thread, but I would be really interested in hearing about what you are doing in Bangkok DhaDha. You've made some vague allusions to inspections and that sort of thing--seems very interesting, but yes different from cultural geography for sure!

IH634-XHS. No idea how many days. I stopped wearing them for a while when it got really hot here. But surprisingly - especially to me - I started wearing them again, and even in hot weather. No idea why... Just had their 4th wash or so. 

IH634-XHS_33_2015-07-31_01_zpskkmmvw17.j

IH634-XHS_33_2015-07-31_02_zpsqc9i3ey4.j

IH634-XHS_33_2015-07-31_04_zpswkfag9xd.j

IH634-XHS_33_2015-07-31_05_zpsqdgghzwl.j

IH634-XHS_33_2015-07-31_07_zpsiwhqppql.j

IH634-XHS_33_2015-07-31_09_zpswvry7m99.j

IH634-XHS_33_2015-07-31_11_zpsi2by0v9x.j

Quick update on what I have been doing in my jeans lately. Spent the last month building out our tasting room at work

We went from this

20150601_133808.jpg

to this 

20150806_131906.jpg

Excited to finally have this done, just in time to concentrate on the apple season 

bonus pic of me and my fancy new work boots, no more wet feet at the end of the day!

20150807_155328.jpg

I don't really want to hijack the thread, but I would be really interested in hearing about what you are doing in Bangkok DhaDha. You've made some vague allusions to inspections and that sort of thing--seems very interesting, but yes different from cultural geography for sure!

oh man you are definitely not hijacking the thread. i for one would welcome a lot more post. when i have a story half as good as yours i will definitely be sharing them too!

can't wait to see your rainforest fades! 

my RC finally starting to fade 93 days in.

RC%20R400SP%2093days-1.jpg

RC%20R400SP%2093days-2.jpg

RC%20R400SP%2093days-4.jpg

RC%20R400SP%2093days-5.jpg

RC%20R400SP%2093days-3.jpg

RC%20R400SP%2093days-6.jpg

since i wear them business-casual most day, i have not been too hard on them yet. enjoying them dark and fluffy for the time being. alas, that period in these jeans' history will soon come to an end. they are starting to crock more and more indigo. 

damage report. Cotton threads are wearing out in places. the heavy denim really does a number on all-cotton stitching. I can foresee quite a few stitching repair in the near future.

RC%20R400SP%2093days-7.jpg

RC%20R400SP%2093days-8.jpg

Most worrying now is the fly. As with all mid-century detailed jeans, there is no reinforced stitching at fly stitching, and the heavier fabric means a lot of force when i pull the fly open, of which a mere single-line stitch eventually gave way and broke. i should get them fixed soon but then i would likely have to soak/wash these before sending them to a tailor so i'm putting that off until maybe another month. Right now i just keep the lowest button on all the time to prevent more thread breakages. 

RC%20R400SP%2093days-9.jpg