Roy. (expurgated edition)

rnrswitch

I just picked up a pair of RN04s and wanted to know if I can wait and wear for a few months without an initial soak. I am a little heavier now and the fit is comfortable...in a few months, I will be trimmed down and I expect the post-soak size to fit better. Is it ok to wait to soak a pair of unsanforized?

rs04s in action after a quick lukewarm soak

21ott76.jpg

re: rolled up sleeves... i actually think the short sleeve opening helps keep the sleeve rolled up because the farther up the sleeve the opening goes, the less tension on your arm (due to increased diameter of the sleeve coming up from the wrist)

btw i showed the pictures of the SE 6th yr anniversary shirt to ms ready and she said the invisible hem pocket was exactly the same as the pocket on her grandfather's PJs. could roy pj01 be in the works?

I just picked up a pair of RN04s and wanted to know if I can wait and wear for a few months without an initial soak. I am a little heavier now and the fit is comfortable...in a few months, I will be trimmed down and I expect the post-soak size to fit better. Is it ok to wait to soak a pair of unsanforized?

There are no rules about when to soak - you can wear them raw until they fall apart if you want. Of course, if you wear them and then wash or soak, they will shrink. General consensus is to soak or wash now, get shrinkage out of the way and they look/feel nicer too.

How you have managed to get a pair of Roys and not know all of this is baffling!

Thanks big truck. I thought that I had read a while back that the initial soak for unsanforized denim was as much for getting the shrink out as it was for strengthening the denim/seams. I remember something about unsanforized denim wearing much faster without the soak (crotch blow out sooner, etc.). That is what I was more concerned about.

That is a fair point and I have read that also (think it was kiya who said it somewhere) although I doubt it would make any material difference in terms of how long the jeans would last if you waited a while before the first soak. How about a quick dip just to soften them up but limit shrinkage?

dghazer: would you not have a problem with the length if you did not soak them? - I recall my Roys being long - the soak will get the shrinkage out of the way and then you can hem them as you wish to wear them. I found you don't get all of the shrinkage out on the 1st soak - so it's worth doing this x2. Whatever you do don't have them hemmed before you soak them - they shrink a lot int he length.

How much do the RS04s shrink in the thigh? On SE's website, it says they shrink by .3" but in some of the pre and post soak fits, it looks like the shrinkage is significantly more

That's .3" across, so over half an inch in circumference.

That second photo almost looks like fabric coming off a loom.

Anyone interested in a pair of beater RS04s in size 32? I say beater because they haven`t been treated in true denim-bro fashion. They`ve had two soaks and weekly washes in three months but are still in excellent condition. (With the exception of the patch which I accidentally went over with the iron.) I`d really like that they go to someone who will enjoy them, I just can`t wear them given the amount of bending, lifting and subsequent sitting I do during my commute; they`re just too slim through the upper thigh. They`re wonderfully soft at the moment and have thus lost that odd sticky feeling that accompanied them after their first soak. And although they are still hairy, it is significantly diminished from their first wear. Sale will help finance a pair in size 33.

SOLD

Edited by Shoreman

Okay I'm super close to just keeping my rn04s because I love the fit. But the rise is still a bitch, will it get better/is there anything I can do other than sag to alleviate the discomfort?

No. Sell if you can and get the straight leg model while you can.

Though, anyone with a half decent flop is going to get sick cock fades by rocking the RN model.

Edited by Shoreman

Here's my honest assessment of the cut (and I'm not sure if it's been covered before):

If you don't have most of your height in your legs and if you're quite trim/ fit in the mid-section and you don't plan on washing, then I believe this cut can work for you.

I managed to sell my RS's that were a bit too snug for my liking and am forced to wear my RN's to work today, so I'll let you know how they stretch throughout the day. But, keep in mind that the 03 appears to be a far less stubborn denim than the 04.

Ben, if you're just wearing these casually, I think you'll be fine.

• 5 weeks later...

Got the Roy chambray shirt this past weekend at SENY.... lots of really cool details. Also, recently picked up an Iron Heart chambray as well... it's interesting to see the differences between how both are interpreting similar garments... I'll post some side-by-sides ASAP.

Thanks man! Here's a side-by-side pic. Sorta cool a Japanese and American interpretation of an American design.

cell phone pic...

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-jGB-iBNfels/UK064xMiqTI/AAAAAAAABZQ/9AkN2MLu_G4/s1069/2012-11-21

(sorry it won't post!)

Great purchases tigerpac.

You're pretty much set at the chambray position in your shirt line-up.

If you were to wear the jeans unsanforized, when you wash it the fades would get crooked. The jean needs to shrink before we start putting fades on it. Someone please correct if wrong