Sugar Cane Denim

allacedout

Wow, those prices at history preservation are kinda crazy. I guess if you think about the fact the hawaiis and edo-ai use natural indigo, $500 doen't seem TOO far out there, but when you know that they only cost about 32000 yen in Japan (around $275) it would be alot cheaper to buy from a bid-service.

I would consider spending $500 for a pair of really nice 45rpms maybe or some old vintage levis, but not sugarcanes.

These jeans are worth the asking price. That being said, I still would not pay it on principal. His Pres is trying to take advantage and hopefully they will be stuck with a bunch of high end denim when the next big thing comes along.

EAT EM' bitches... I won't pay it!!! Although the realist in my says they will sell out before the week is up.

Damniam, are they still worth $500 when there is an alternate source offering them for half that amount? I'm no expert on import taxation rates, but, even so, this smells bad. As I said on another thread, the internet has made distance easily bridgeable. I say, don't buy from HP. Buy overseas.

By the way, where does HP advertise? Who links to them? I stumbled upon them during a search. If their market is primarily guys who are all about reliving the thrilling days of WWII, those guys, seeing "jeans" for $500, are laughing their asses off!

Has anyone read the lengthy descriptions of the manufacturing process? I particularly liked this familiar nugget:

Quote:

...The naturally dyed yarns are turned into the prized, coarse-weave Japanese selvage denim on slow-moving, vintage shuttle looms from the “good old days†of manufacturing in the USA. Capturing the essence of true vintage selvage dungarees can only be achieved using vintage machinery, so goes the philosophy behind Sugar Cane, so it logically flows that this sumptuous selvage-denim fabric is lovingly crafted into the finished product by the most meticulous technicians using sewing machines from the 1920’s...

Old legends die hard... icon_smile_wink.gif

ask a cassowary

Quote:

Damniam, are they still worth $500 when there is an alternate source offering them for half that amount? I'm no expert on import taxation rates, but, even so, this smells bad. As I said on another thread, the internet has made distance easily bridgeable. I say, don't buy from HP. Buy overseas.

By the way, where does HP advertise? Who links to them? I stumbled upon them during a search. If their market is primarily guys who are all about reliving the thrilling days of WWII, those guys, seeing "jeans" for $500, are laughing their asses off!

--- Original message by Edge_Of_Denim on Feb 28, 2006 11:08 AM

No, your are correct, they are not worth $500. Not to me anyways. But, I guess if your budget allows for it, you can get them pretty quickly. Not for me though. I just got my unwashed 47s in the mail a few minutes ago and BY GOD I sure am glad I paid the old price for them. Even though I freaking waited 2 months for the damn things. I think at 500 bones you better damn sure not have to wait that long for them. Christ I hope these fuckers shrink some, they look HUGE!!!!

not sure why anyone (in the u.s.) would even pay hp's old prices and wait more than a week when you could pm djrajio or email juno at bidservice and have the jeans within a week - even with the fees the 47's would come in under $165 (and the hawaii's would be around $350). it's not like 45rpm where they have stores you can walk in and try the stuff on ... that kind of service is worth a good amount of money to me, but not mail order. only plus i can see with hp is returns are possible.

just read the other thread about hp prices ... seems many are thinking the same thing. i've dealt with juno 2x and he's very fast and reliable. i've also talked to djrajio about a purchase and would have used him if the jeans were right for me (his fees are lower than juno's but juno was faster to respond, probably because it's his main business). djrajio's english is much better ...

Guest Guy H

I'm waiting to here back from Juno about these.

http://www.takeoff-clothing.com/shop/show.php?GoodsCD=842

and

http://www.takeoff-clothing.com/shop/show.php?GoodsCD=799

See what the cost would be for both pairs.

Asked for my reg size due to both being one wash.

I spent a lot of of money on booze, birds and

fast cars. The rest I just squandered - George Best

Guest Guy H

Ok got a reply.

hello, thanks for urls

> http://www.takeoff-clothing.com/shop/show.php?GoodsCD=842 SC40401 : HAWAII SATOKIBI DENIM[ONE WASH]

233usd

w34/actual waist 83cm around, length 86cm

w36/w88cm L86cm

> also

>

> http://www.takeoff-clothing.com/shop/show.php?GoodsCD=799 SC40401_125 : HAWAII SATOKIBI DENIM [WASH BLUE]

w34/W82cm,L84cm

w36/W86cm, L84cm

265usd

Now the size worries me. The waist size i can sort but the length is way too short if that is the actual length now.

Can anybody advise?

Guest Guy H

6'2"

I asked about getting a 34W and 36L (or 91cm)

My APC English had a 36 leg and have shrunk down after the first wash and are great. I know the Canes are 1 wash but those leg lengths look too short to me. 34 as a final length would be the min I'd be happy with.

Edited by Guy H on Mar 1, 2006 at 08:42 AM

Quote:

Ok got a reply.

hello, thanks for urls

> http://www.takeoff-clothing.com/shop/show.php?GoodsCD=842 SC40401 : HAWAII SATOKIBI DENIM[ONE WASH]

233usd

w34/actual waist 83cm around, length 86cm

w36/w88cm L86cm

> also

>

> http://www.takeoff-clothing.com/shop/show.php?GoodsCD=799 SC40401_125 : HAWAII SATOKIBI DENIM [WASH BLUE]

w34/W82cm,L84cm

w36/W86cm, L84cm

265usd

Now the size worries me. The waist size i can sort but the length is way too short if that is the actual length now.

Can anybody advise?

--- Original message by Guy H on Mar 1, 2006 08:14 AM

I have a pair of those in one wash and I am 6'1. My honest opinion=I wish they were 1 inch longer but the way they are now they don't look bad at all.

Bobby, Guy, I'm in the same spot as you. I'm 6'2", and those one-washed '47's I just received, at a 34 leg, has no room for shrinkage. Another poster here, who also owns a pair, and seems very knowledgeable about denim assured me that they may shrink but only an 1/8 of an inch, or so. Let me tell you, even that's too much, and I'm not kidding.

I'm about to go for a pair of Denime in black. Besides looking good, and the price, the thing that sealed the deal was I can get them with a 36 leg. From now on, in speciality denim, if I can't get a 36 leg, I'll do without. Truth to tell, I own commercial denim with a 34 leg and they work fine. But there is no further shrinking to be concerned by. Speciality denim, with all its shrinkage issues, is a whole other deal.

This is funny: When I was talking to Charles at Hist. Pres. back in the fall, about the '47's, I expressed some trepidation about the length. He said not to worry, it would be fine. i asked him how tall was he and I believe he said 6'3". I was thinking, 6'3", and wears a 34" leg, damn, he must look like Urkel in those pants!

Edited by Edge_Of_Denim on Mar 1, 2006 at 11:24 AM