Sugar Cane Denim

allacedout

The measurements are post wash. They should shrink to the measurements posted. Anyone confer with this? Miz... DDML?
that's what I was hoping, except then the 29W actually runs a little bigger than a 31 ..!?

so confused

with the edo-ai's, what you lose in one backpocket, you gain in a tool pocket on the left side. one backpocket is more historically accurate to the pre-501 workpants of old.

well, the okinawas are dyed with natural indigo from okinawa. also, the basic model features a "habu" snake patch. habu is a poisonous snake that is indiginous to okinawa. it's very important in okinawan culture and is used to make the most important okinawan instrument--the 3 stringed sanshin. they feature distinct pocket fabric and back pocket stitching.

the hawaii's are dyed with natural indigo from hawaii. the patch is hair-on-hide featuring a nice burnt-in picture of turtle. the hawaii premium version features lap-felled innerseams, one of the only japanese repro jeans that has this. the hawaii also features nice pocket fabric and distinct pocket stitching.

the denim color differs between the two, but i forgot how. i can fill you in later.

that's an awesome breakdown, miz. i would add other differences btw the reg hawaii and the satokibi:

satokibi hawaii has bound fly-facing (only SC with this feature, i believe)

satokibi hawaii is a twill weave; the regular hawaii is a regular weave

the satokibi hawaii patch is not hair-on-hide like the reg. version, but deer skin

i don't know what you guys are talking about re: sizing, but the jeans do seem to shrink to tagged size; mine got there with a two-hour cold soak, apparently. stretched now, of course.

thanks for the info ddml. i knew the satokibi was special but i didn't know all the details. the two hawaii jeans really should be treated like two distinct creatures.

the satokibi hawaii is getting more and more rare since history pres is not selling it anymore. need to get me a pair!

I think satokibi means sugar cane, and that all the Sugar Cane jeans made with sugar cane are satokibi?

Ryu? Chicken? ringring?

If this is true, is there a different handy designation for the natural indigo Hawaiis and Edo Ai (SC40400N and SC40500N) that HistPres no longer carries?

Yes, satoukibi means sugar cane, and many of their denims are made with sugar canes. But not the repros. I was sniffing around sugar cane jeans the other day and the ones made with satoukibi (Hawaiis, Edo-Ais, etc., ...) do in fact smell sweet -- kind of like nice fabric softner/laundry detergent-ish. But the 47s, 45s and other repros smell just like regular denim, if there's such a thing.

Don't know much about the natural indigo designations. Sorry.

just got my one wash 32 waist canes, and they are waaaay to tight. i can barely button the 4th button, and no way i can button the top button. i think i need to lose about 15 lbs to fit in these, which is OK since i'm 205 lbs : \ but man, are these jeans nice looking. got them from mil-mil.net for a grand total of 146.

just got my one wash 32 waist canes, and they are waaaay to tight. i can barely button the 4th button, and no way i can button the top button. i think i need to lose about 15 lbs to fit in these, which is OK since i'm 205 lbs : \ but man, are these jeans nice looking. got them from mil-mil.net for a grand total of 146.

You're 205 and normally wear a size 32? Are you like, super tall or something?

The leg twist comes from the natural tendancy of right hand twill unsanforized denim to skew from the wearer's left to right. After you wear and wash your jeans, they will get that skew. You may not notice it on one wash, because not all the shrinking is done yet.

The leg twist comes from the natural tendancy of right hand twill unsanforized denim to skew from the wearer's left to right. After you wear and wash your jeans, they will get that skew. You may not notice it on one wash, because not all the shrinking is done yet.
erm, what % of the shrinking would you say -is- done already? i had these hemmed to the perfect lenght... i was under the impression that these "one wash" jeans are pretty aggressively soaked/hot air dryed so that the shrinking is already done.

I would say probably about 85%-90%. Remember the jeans will also restretch back out again.

ive read through this thread a few times and ended up picking up a pair of the one wash 45s. right when i got them they were very snug (i ordered my regular size but felt like a size smaller) and were really baggy. i ended up throwing them in the wash and they fit better but not as slim as i hoped. now i am curious on how the cut of the 45 is compared to the 47? can anyone shed some light?

Just shrank my 1966's (Thanks 6MT!) 33W. Did a very warm soak in a giant pot on the stove for 1 1/4 hours and hang dried. Was gonna warm wash, but we've got a high efficiency washing machine, meaning not much water used (clothes wet, never soaked, according to the manual) and not much soaking going on.

Shrinkage:

Waist = 1" (34 down to a 33)

Leg opening = 1/4" (8.5 to 8.25)

Inseam = 3" (36 down to a 33)

Photo:

1966.jpg

The jeans flare out at the hips. Will that go away with time? Please so it's so.

ive read through this thread a few times and ended up picking up a pair of the one wash 45s. right when i got them they were very snug (i ordered my regular size but felt like a size smaller) and were really baggy. i ended up throwing them in the wash and they fit better but not as slim as i hoped. now i am curious on how the cut of the 45 is compared to the 47? can anyone shed some light?

Hey renski can you post some pics of you wearing them? Im interested in how these look when worn.

Just shrank my 1966's (Thanks 6MT!) 33W. Did a very warm soak in a giant pot on the stove for 1 1/4 hours and hang dried. Was gonna warm wash, but we've got a high efficiency washing machine, meaning not much water used (clothes wet, never soaked, according to the manual) and not much soaking going on.

Shrinkage:

Photo:

1966.jpg

The jeans flare out at the hips. Will that go away with time? Please so it's so.

They should relax a bit once they aren't so stiff and it will be less noticable. I think once you hard wash them again, they should shrink another .5 to 1 inch and that may help a bit.

They should relax a bit once they aren't so stiff and it will be less noticable. I think once you hard wash them again, they should shrink another .5 to 1 inch and that may help a bit.
i'd say the majority of shrinkage has already happened...the flared hips wont disappear but they will soften a bit....i think you mightve oversized for your frame...whats your actual waist size?..you dont look like a 33 thats for sure

Thanks for the input. I'm a 33 waist and right now the waist fits fine, falling at right about my natural waist line. Hopefully the flares will soften up to be less noticeable. Once the jeans are broken in and if it still bugs me I'm thinking of having it tailored.

Shrinkage:

Photo:

1966.jpg

do you work in a physics lab?