Samurai Jeans

gimmegimme

Given that i perfectly understand the "be patient, wash them hot AGAIN before even thinking about tailoring" part and "wash them if you want them to shrink back", it has to be said that they'll stretch out in a matter of a few wears making the hip flare and other fit issues to resurface quickly.

I was actually thinking about having my 710 slightly tailored with half an inch taken in along the whole leg length.

Buying a new pair is NOT an option, and i can't find anyone willing to trade my 30 for a 29, so, tailoring looks like the best way to go for a better fit.

Some people blindly abide by the gospel "denim shouldn't be altered", and i'm happy for them if they are strong believers in dogmas (and big spenders at the main premium denim outlets), however i think a slight correction made by a competent tailor is not the end of the world, or an unforgivable blasphemy towards denim religion.

I would like to hear, if there is any denim heretic out there, about their first hand experience with Sams alterations.

There's a pair of altered 710 on the supermarket at the moment, tapered from the knee down, that looks perfectly ok (and the owner hasn't been hit by any holy lightning, yet).

I was thinking about going the same way with mine. Any Suggestion would be very much appreciated

never tried to taper down a pair of sammies before because i havent had the chance to own any sams but i have taken in my skull 5010xx 6x6 a while back and i was happy with the fit for quite a while because they suit my then-skinny frame better. today however i put them on once again after having been wearing some looser cuts and i totally regret tapering them. i would only recommend you to take them in a little in the leg if you dont have anything in a skinny cut. otherwise, keep them as they are i would say.

I have tapered 3 pairs of sams (including 24oz RHTs) and have no regrets. In fact, had I not tapered my 24oz I would have given up on them long ago.

Anyone who goes through years of wearing jeans with a cut they don't love because "that's how it was meant to be" is a fucking idiot.

That being said, I would make sure you know your tailor is legit; at they very least they gotta know to taper from the inside and be able to re-chainstitch the hems.

Given that i perfectly understand the "be patient, wash them hot AGAIN before even thinking about tailoring" part and "wash them if you want them to shrink back", it has to be said that they'll stretch out in a matter of a few wears making the hip flare and other fit issues to resurface quickly.

I was actually thinking about having my 710 slightly tailored with half an inch taken in along the whole leg length.

Buying a new pair is NOT an option, and i can't find anyone willing to trade my 30 for a 29, so, tailoring looks like the best way to go for a better fit.

Some people blindly abide by the gospel "denim shouldn't be altered", and i'm happy for them if they are strong believers in dogmas (and big spenders at the main premium denim outlets), however i think a slight correction made by a competent tailor is not the end of the world, or an unforgivable blasphemy towards denim religion.

I would like to hear, if there is any denim heretic out there, about their first hand experience with Sams alterations.

There's a pair of altered 710 on the supermarket at the moment, tapered from the knee down, that looks perfectly ok (and the owner hasn't been hit by any holy lightning, yet).

I was thinking about going the same way with mine. Any Suggestion would be very much appreciated

I don't think anyone here is saying to blindly follow the "don't alter denim" dogma. We are just saying that he should wash again before he considers tailoring because Samurais usually still have a significant amount of shrinkage left after the first soak, and not all of that (inseam, hem, etc.) is going to stretch back out. For the best fit when tailoring, you're going to want to have all of the shrinkage out of the garment before you alter it.

@Ranon and Stack: thanks a lot to both of you for the completely different yet both precious for me, points of view.

@Commodorewheeler: I'm totally aware of that, but if after a couple of hot soaks they still call for an adjustment, i think the tailor is the only answer.

Nothing major, but a little touch can make a world of difference...

And still, you find people occasionally complaining about having had their unsanforized jeans hemmed at the online shop to the desired length, only to find out too late that they shrink another 2-3 inches in the inseam and the dumbos find themselves with "flood victim" pants

Too unfortunate the people who really badly need that kind of advice commodore will probably never read your post, or will read it TOO LATE

It took my 510's about a year before all the shrinkage went away in the waist. During that year I thought I got the wrong size because they stretched out sooo much I thought I should have got one size down. Now the waist is so tight the top button hole is being pushed to the limit...

That being said I need to taper those bad boys now

3 questions:

1. why is he selling them?

2. has he sold them yet?

3. if yes, for how much?

3 questions:

1. why is he selling them?

2. has he sold them yet?

3. if yes, for how much?

Apparently he's selling them on behalf of a friend. That's what he said in his sale post.

For all other questions, you probably better ask him directly.

Its both on the supermarket and styleforum's denim and streetwear sales section

I exchanged a couple of messages to know more about the tapering his friend had done on his pair of Sams and he promptly replied

sorry for the bad photo, but i wanted to take a quick photo of my new favorite jacket that i just got in. again, sorry for the bad lighting and awkward angle; tired from school time for sleep

Photoon2010-11-09at0142.jpg?t=1289295849

Plalai04

wow, those sams are great! those evolved nicely, Goodjob!

deadendpro

coooool, need more pics

Agreed! And Nuk1 - amazing sams. Really like the pic, too - are you a carpenter? Must recharge rep....

My neglected S0210XJ... Saturday dog park action :P

4b68e591.jpg

Here are my Samurai 510xx in 19oz. I just got these back from denim therphy were they did a good job reinforcing the crotch. I wore these for about 12 months. They have been through the washer in regular cycle 4 times and machine dried twice. Pic is from my iphone so not the best quality pic.

383d7023.jpg