Samurai Jeans

gimmegimme

I wonder if this new natural indigo model is rope-dyed or hand hank-dyed?

The price tag is a bit steep though, I've seen very well made natural indigo jeans at 30, 000 to 40, 000 yen....at 63, 000 yen this seems like more of a "buy it and frame it" garment rather than pants you'd wear daily.

x-post from the Heavyweight Denim Competition thread.

photo4-5.jpg

photo3-5.jpg

photo2-5.jpg

photo1-1.jpg

Sorry for the crappy iPhone pics.

Presoak pics, Samurai S710xx size 33, hemmed to 36".

Much better post hot wash/10-minutes-in-the-dryer pics to come soon, I want to give them a few days to soften up and settle in.

---------------------------------------------

A bit more info-- I ordered size 33 based on Gordon's recommendations. I have a couple of pairs of PBJ's (xx-005 and xx-007) in size 32 which fit but are a touch on the tight side, and a pair of xx-005bk's in size 34 which were too big until I tapered the thighs, and the waist is still a touch too big. So I figured size 33 in the S710's would work fine, and Gordon agreed. When I received them, the waist measured 34", and after a hot wash and 10 minutes in the dryer on high, they shrank to 32", which freaked me out a bit. I put them on damp and I could button them all the way up, but it wasn't easy, and after a few hours I started worrying that they weren't going to stretch out enough in the waist (everything else was perfect). Long story short, after my 2nd day of wear, they have stretched to 35", one inch past raw measurement. That's right, my waist (well, my hips, where I wear my jeans), is 35", I had no idea. Had I known this before, and ordered TTS, they would have been too big I think. I have average size thighs, not emo-skinny. I could get away with a size 34, but not 35. So I think sizing down 1 is probably the best advice for anyone with average thighs.

---------------------------------------------

A bit more info-- I ordered size 33 based on Gordon's recommendations. I have a couple of pairs of PBJ's (xx-005 and xx-007) in size 32 which fit but are a touch on the tight side, and a pair of xx-005bk's in size 34 which were too big until I tapered the thighs, and the waist is still a touch too big. So I figured size 33 in the S710's would work fine, and Gordon agreed. When I received them, the waist measured 34", and after a hot wash and 10 minutes in the dryer on high, they shrank to 32", which freaked me out a bit. I put them on damp and I could button them all the way up, but it wasn't easy, and after a few hours I started worrying that they weren't going to stretch out enough in the waist (everything else was perfect). Long story short, after my 2nd day of wear, they have stretched to 35", one inch past raw measurement. That's right, my waist (well, my hips, where I wear my jeans), is 35", I had no idea. Had I known this before, and ordered TTS, they would have been too big I think. I have average size thighs, not emo-skinny. I could get away with a size 34, but not 35. So I think sizing down 1 is probably the best advice for anyone with average thighs.

You're over-thinking everything, friend. Let go and embrace. Let the denim evolve and learn from it.

If all else fails, sell them and move on. Save Gordon your worries. All he can do is best-guess. Take charge of your evo!

^ Sound advice. Some of the heavier Samurai jeans can take a while to settle and break in, you go through weeks on not knowing if you like them or not, wondering if you bought the correct size etc..... Then one day, you will put them on and everything falls into place (literally), and they become your favourite item of clothing. Stick with them and they will reward you.

great write up everyinchofgod +rep :)

Do you mind posting the current measurements of your 33 710s? Searching and searching the last few weeks for a 2nd pair of slimmer heavy weight denim to rotate with my straight fit s0500jxs. The 710s is one of the candidates since I loved my 32s until I gave them their first machine wash

^ Sound advice. Some of the heavier Samurai jeans can take a while to settle and break in, you go through weeks on not knowing if you like them or not, wondering if you bought the correct size etc..... Then one day, you will put them on and everything falls into place (literally), and they become your favourite item of clothing. Stick with them and they will reward you.

so true bout sams.

I wonder if this new natural indigo model is rope-dyed or hand hank-dyed?

The price tag is a bit steep though, I've seen very well made natural indigo jeans at 30, 000 to 40, 000 yen....at 63, 000 yen this seems like more of a "buy it and frame it" garment rather than pants you'd wear daily.

They are hank dyed.

The price is high but no higher than the S5000AI-10SPs were. The exchange rate just sucks a lot more now than when those came out.

Do you mind posting the current measurements of your 33 710s? Searching and searching the last few weeks for a 2nd pair of slimmer heavy weight denim to rotate with my straight fit s0500jxs. The 710s is one of the candidates since I loved my 32s until I gave them their first machine wash

I will in a couple of days, once I know they've stretched all the way. I decided to wash them tonight one more time, to make sure that I got all the starch out and all the shrinking done. I figured I might as well do it now since I only had a day and a half wear on them.

And mlyngard, I'm not overthinking, nor am I worried-- my point was to reassure people that even if you think they are going to be too tight post-soak, they will stretch like crazy, and also to question the TTS advice I hear a lot of in this thread. The embrace continues tomorrow. :)

Okay, so I'm totally sold on the 710's. A while back someone mentioned that there was going to be a new black version with the 17oz. denim from the S5000bk's. Sounds like my next pair of jeans. Anyone have any more details? Will they have black stitching like the S5000bk's? When will they be released?

Okay, so I'm totally sold on the 710's. A while back someone mentioned that there was going to be a new black version with the 17oz. denim from the S5000bk's. Sounds like my next pair of jeans. Anyone have any more details? Will they have black stitching like the S5000bk's? When will they be released?

i was told there MIGHT be two versions(black stiching or contrast) not sure yet and that the production is already done.... all that is left is for stores to make the orders

hey guys, im hoping i can find some help here. i wear a size 34 in skull 5010 6x6, it is just slightly big in the waist (maybe by one size) but the rest is great. i've never worn samurai's before, is it safe for me to get a size 33 in the 710? or should i stick with a sz 34? thx

...you'll be better off with a 34... May be tight in the beginning, but they'll stretch out just fine after about half a day's worth of wear.

As a reference point, my skull 5010's are a 33 and I have the 710's in a 34 and they fit great...

Hope this helps...

My recent experience makes me think you should go with a 33. You didn't mention your waist size, but my understanding with Skulls is they are a pretty slim fit, and the 710's aren't really all that slim-fitting. Measure your waist where you wear your jeans, and buy whichever size has that measurement RAW, because they will stretch back out at least to the raw measurement.

I've read almost this entire thread in the last two weeks and there's a lot of conflicting advice. A lot of people say to go TTS, but I also see a lot of people who went TTS saying they should have sized down one. I'm not saying my opinion is more valid than anyone else here, but I'm glad I sized down. It was a bit painful the first day, but it was worth it.

...you'll be better off with a 34... May be tight in the beginning, but they'll stretch out just fine after about half a day's worth of wear.

As a reference point, my skull 5010's are a 33 and I have the 710's in a 34 and they fit great...

Hope this helps...

My recent experience makes me think you should go with a 33. You didn't mention your waist size, but my understanding with Skulls is they are a pretty slim fit, and the 710's aren't really all that slim-fitting. Measure your waist where you wear your jeans, and buy whichever size has that measurement RAW, because they will stretch back out at least to the raw measurement.

I've read almost this entire thread in the last two weeks and there's a lot of conflicting advice. A lot of people say to go TTS, but I also see a lot of people who went TTS saying they should have sized down one. I'm not saying my opinion is more valid than anyone else here, but I'm glad I sized down. It was a bit painful the first day, but it was worth it.

thank you both for your input!

everyinchofgod,

im usually a size 33 or 34 depending on brand. i measured the waist of my worn-in jeans and most measure between 34-35 inches. you think i can still go with a size 33 in the 710?

Okay, here's the measurements after one hot wash, one warm wash, 10-15 minutes in the dryer. and a few days wear. S710xx size 33, hemmed to 36" inseam pre-soak:

Waist: 35"

Upper thigh: 12.5"

Inseam: 34"

Current fit pics. I'm not sure what happened with the weird shadow thing:

DSC_0275.jpg

DSC_0273-1.jpg

DSC_0277-1.jpg