Iron Heart Jeans

Guest Guy H

• 3 weeks later...

Again the 18oz unsanforized fabric is sp awesome hope giles can make one on the 634s cut on those 18oz unsanforized...

Right now there is the last size 30 of the 634 Vulcan's on sale at IHHQ. I don't know if that means that there will or won't be a re-release of the 634 cut I the 18 oz denim....

It's going to happen, saw it in Gosport myself. Can't say nothing about the denim itself really, how it fades etc.

It's sanforized, and that's all I could tell from looking

Ah man, well gotta expect that I guess.

that is for sure.

sanforized or onewashed denim is generally not that appealing to the likes of us (although I don't care shit really about onewashed denim...) but honestly, it makes selling the jeans way more easier outside of japan. 

when I tell our customers how my recent pair started as a potato sack and now looks like a decent straight fit, they here me saying it, nod ones, but don't get it really. its funny how obviously in their faces they dismiss my information as sci-fi. not all of them, of course, some already know the magic and all is fine (maybe its even 50/50).

sanforized denim saves the day then, for both of us

Don't really see the point of 14 oz iron heart tbh, that's not what they do.

Are you complaining about SAMs 15 oz denim as well? (Edit: or their heavy weight denim as they actually started the other way around...?)

Opinions, opinions... Haraki does what he wants to do, and Giles, too. Besides mid weight stuff isn't so entirely new for IH when you check out the old Triple Works stuff.

Edited by Blue Nemo

Sam as in Samurai? No, but I don't really know enough about that brand to have an opinion. They seem to have always done everything.

Yes, this is my opinion. Triple Works is now defunct, so it seems I'm not the only one who thinks that way... I think Iron Heart makes the most sense in like 19 oz plus, why go into a market of midweight when there are so many brands that imo do it better?

TW did not just implode. Haraki and Giles just agreed to do the TW stuff now under the umbrella of Iron Hearts reputation. They were the same to begin with.

And there are lots of people out their who look for denim not as heavy as 18, 21 or 25 oz but with the same quality construction.

Its not my cup of tea either, but in the end its going to be a great Jean and I am looking forward to it selling it to our people.

....there are so many brands that imo do it better?

It hasn't even come out yet so how can you say other brands do it better?

And there are lots of people out their who look for denim not as heavy as 18, 21 or 25 oz but with the same quality construction.

I for one am not a fan of heavy denim. Own the 301S and here in LA, I occasionally wear them during winter, still finding them too hot. Worn for 2 months and they already have a hole so definitely not a bulletproof jean that I was hoping they would be. Hopefully the 14oz is a loose weave too, some "summer" IH would be epic!

Well old Iron Heart was always heavy, regular, comfortable. That's what I thought was unique about them and gave them their identity.

I think other brands to lightweight fabrics better, just my opinion. More interesting patterns, fabrics, etc. Sure the denim could be amazing, better than flat head or whatever your favorite denim is, but even then it's just weird to me that it would be under Iron Heart. I think it's cool that brands like Flat Head or Warehouse have different brands/sub-brands to keep a cohesive identity. 

Of course that was the idea of Triple works, but it didn't work for whatever reason. I think it didn't work because people know Iron Heart as heavy and regular and comfortable like I said. When they saw Triple Works they saw something as like Iron Heart, but not heavy, and they didn't really want to buy it. Putting this stuff under the Iron Heart brand doesn't really change what the "problem" was, but that's another conversation.

And as I've stated a few times, IMO

IMO, the most important thing about Iron Heart is quality. As long as the quality is there, I'm happy with them making whatever they choose (there are many things they don't do that I wish they did). I certainly like the idea of a lighter weight version of their 21oz denim, if that's what the 14oz denim ends up being. I live in Missouri, the summers here can be ridiculously hot and humid.

Well old Iron Heart was always heavy, regular, comfortable. That's what I thought was unique about them and gave them their identity.

I think other brands to lightweight fabrics better, just my opinion. More interesting patterns, fabrics, etc. Sure the denim could be amazing, better than flat head or whatever your favorite denim is, but even then it's just weird to me that it would be under Iron Heart. I think it's cool that brands like Flat Head or Warehouse have different brands/sub-brands to keep a cohesive identity. 

Of course that was the idea of Triple works, but it didn't work for whatever reason. I think it didn't work because people know Iron Heart as heavy and regular and comfortable like I said. When they saw Triple Works they saw something as like Iron Heart, but not heavy, and they didn't really want to buy it. Putting this stuff under the Iron Heart brand doesn't really change what the "problem" was, but that's another conversation.

And as I've stated a few times, IMO

I would agree that the people thought TW was inferior to IH, qualitywise. Which is ironic, cause the craftsmanship put into both brands was the same. the only thing that differs was the numbers before the OZ. And that is the ironic part (cynic) why should a lighter weight jean or chambray shirt be inferior to its heavy weight pendant? It's just a different cup of tea, is all.

And I agree that Iron Heart built its reputation with heavy stuff, and as long as they keep following that road down, but adding some different stuff to there range, I don't think they loose their brand identity.

i don't really know a lot about RJB and its success, but reading this and that and actually looking at their products, I would say there is a huge difference between TFH and RJB products. A difference maybe that justifies a subbrand (loosely) disconnected to the main brand. I don't see that a big difference between IH and TW though.

but this thing about brands and their subbrands, to keep a cohesive identity while still doing what they like to do, is very interesting. makes me wanna grab a book about economics or what not and look into the different theoretical approaches.

Yeah I agree, and I don't care what anyone says about a 21oz slack weave being easier breathing etc. I've tried it and doesn't work. But then again if its hot enough I'm not wearing denim period.

People look at XXoz and think that a lower number is better for breathing. That's where the problems lies. IH flagship 21oz is definitely easier to wear—as far as breathability—then say the SG 2109 denim and it's 17oz. Still, it isn't easy to wear (for me) unless it is less then 65 which in California, doesn't happen a ton.

I wore my 634s straight during the German summer, I do not regret it but I will never do it again. But I also sweat in my Denime's this summer, so ultimately wearing shorts is the best cure :-D

My random opinion here… I like IH for the weight and quality... would I buy their jeans at a lower weight? Maybe? It's tough because although I know IH for their quality, I really buy them for their heavyweight uniqueness... I honestly haven't found a fit that I would say is perfect for me yet (Or I haven't tried it on at least) so that would be the first obstacle for me to overcome before I buy a lightweight pair of jeans from IH before say 3Sixteen or any other lightweight brand.  

sidenote: I own IHxB01 (not bad but I wished the leg opening was smaller. I'm currently wearing DWCxUHR (same issue except this pair seems worse in the legs). I've tried on the 301S and it was perfect in the legs but too big up top. I'm a little concerned I won't find the right pair from IH after reading this post a while back http://www.ironheart.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=7268.msg396161#msg396161 (edit: his post because I believe I may be the same body type as this guy)

Edited by cadence

People look at XXoz and think that a lower number is better for breathing. That's where the problems lies. IH flagship 21oz is definitely easier to wear—as far as breathability—then say the SG 2109 denim and it's 17oz. Still, it isn't easy to wear (for me) unless it is less then 65 which in California, doesn't happen a ton.

I'm in L.A. also. Up until Mid June I was wearing my IH DWC UHR everyday. The only time they get to be too much is when it gets into the 90s and 100s, and that's because I ride my bicycle to work. Everyday I don't ride, I wear my IH. Maybe it's the UHR denim, but I don't feel uncomfortable, as long as I'm not pedaling. Pedaling in my UHR wasn't an issue in April and May, but I was also layered up top in April and May, and now I'm wearing the lightest shirts I have.

I would agree that the people thought TW was inferior to IH, qualitywise. Which is ironic, cause the craftsmanship put into both brands was the same. the only thing that differs was the numbers before the OZ. And that is the ironic part (cynic) why should a lighter weight jean or chambray shirt be inferior to its heavy weight pendant? It's just a different cup of tea, is all.

And I agree that Iron Heart built its reputation with heavy stuff, and as long as they keep following that road down, but adding some different stuff to there range, I don't think they loose their brand identity.

i don't really know a lot about RJB and its success, but reading this and that and actually looking at their products, I would say there is a huge difference between TFH and RJB products. A difference maybe that justifies a subbrand (loosely) disconnected to the main brand. I don't see that a big difference between IH and TW though.

but this thing about brands and their subbrands, to keep a cohesive identity while still doing what they like to do, is very interesting. makes me wanna grab a book about economics or what not and look into the different theoretical approaches.

If I recall it right, TW was introduced with the ambition, to do stuff that didn't fit the IH criteria of heay rugged wear, like lighter denim or designs in different patterns or colours. Like the short slevved checked shirts, the non-symmetrical front pockets or permanent indigo dyed jeans.Usually that's not unusal, to protect an established brand identity. All the TW products were cheaper as IH as heavier denim comes with a higher risk or rate of faults. Momotaro & Japan Blue follow a similar route, even if not entirely.

In whisky, for those that are no experts, the age statement or price make the quality. Same goes for denim with oz & price. I think that the main appeal & unique selling proposition of IH got a bit lost in TW as these signalling points got lost and the brand competed with a lot more brands that offer jeans in the same weight. I love IH  for their classic designs, quality and heavy stuff. For lighter gear other brands offer similar quality.

Those who bought TW nevertheless were the diehard IH fans that wanted their cuts in lighter denim too, but those curious about other brands might have tried their lighter denim in other brands that come with more slubby denim or different designs/cuts.

This year, many TW items were labelled IH and sold out fast...will be interesting to watch wether same happens with the lighter denim.