Belts

cecil

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

After reading through the last few pages on this thread, I decided to go with a leathergoodsconnection.com belt as well. I got the bridle leather work belt, dark brown, with nickel garrison buckle. I wish the buckle were a bit wider, but that's just a nitpicky kinda thing. The price is right and quality is great, so I'll probably end up copping from LGC again sometime.

Picture taken with flash, the color is much darker in person.

lgcbelt.th.jpg

Picked up this old tank commander's belt a few years ago from a flea market. It's made from very heavy leather and was meant to be worn around a wool tunic but it fits great wearing with denim. The belt and buckle are over 90 years old and still going strong. A lot of people confuse it for a 50's motorcycle belt so I guess it goes to show you nothing is really new.

beltwide.jpg

beltCU.jpg

i did a lot of comparison shopping and decided to order a belt from Leather Goods Connection, which is linked on the first page. i wanted a natural/tan leather belt with a simple garrison buckle that would age with a lot of character over time. i've had lower quality versions of the same style in the past and they've always been a favorite. i had my eye on the sugar cane garrison belt for a long time, but never wanted to pull the trigger at $150. it completely slipped my mind to include one in my last order from 2nd for half that price...

i started looking at LGC, tanner, and corter as more affordable options (bonus points for made in usa). LGC was closest to what i was looking for, and had the best pricing, and i liked the idea of it being custom made. so i went ahead and placed my order on 7/15. it was confirmed shipped on 7/17 and i received it on 7/19. talk about FAST.

so i ordered a 1.5" natural british bridle leather belt, #3 buckle (garrison style) in polished brass. here are some pics:

3773579023_83ebf4748e.jpg

3773578637_dae5dcf2f5.jpg

with flash (most accurate leather color - we all know how natural leather looks new):

3773578823_c16628d065.jpg

i am extremely satisfied with this purchase. the leather is thick and smooth, and i can already tell it will look amazing over time. the buckle is absolutely perfect as well - i know garrison buckles are simple, but i've still seen a lot of screw ups. having handled the sugar cane belt in person, i can easily say i prefer this LGC buckle. i've worn this belt every day since it arrive and will probably wear it every single day for years to come (and i have trouble sticking to one pair of jeans for more than a month at a time, so that's saying something).

i only have one complaint, though it's a small one: you can tell if you're paying close attention, but it is not explicitly shown on the site that the end of the belt comes rounded. i'm guessing they'd customize this for you if you included something in the notes, but it would be even better if it was in the drop downs. personally i didn't like the rounded look, but it wasn't a big deal... i just took a razor blade to it:

(iphone pic):

3775835190_3cb4cdd50e.jpg

all-in-all i'm really stoked on this company. great quality at proper price points. if you're thinking of buying a quality belt (which i'd always recommend), i'd point you in their direction. i doubt i'll ever buy that sugar cane belt now, and i see absolutely no reason to spend the exorbitant sums on other japanese brands. two pointers: definitely measure a belt you have (i was surprised how much i needed to size up), and include notes if you don't want the rounded end.

*i should start a blog*

Anybody have any more info on this style from LGC? I'm just about to pull the trigger on the exact same belt, but I'm stuck on polished brass v. nickel v. regular brass. I'm worried the nickel will be too shinny, but in the 3rd pic it almost looks like the nickel finish.

Arrrg TallyHo check your pms :D

Anybody have any more info on this style from LGC? I'm just about to pull the trigger on the exact same belt, but I'm stuck on polished brass v. nickel v. regular brass. I'm worried the nickel will be too shinny, but in the 3rd pic it almost looks like the nickel finish.

Arrrg TallyHo check your pms :D

sheesh man! you messaged me at 9pm last night! :D

i could be wrong, but i think anywhere it says "solid brass" without "polished" is a typo. pretty sure all the buckles are either polished brass or polished nickel over brass. nickel vs. brass is really your call, but they'll both be shiny when new.

go with the #3 buckle on a 1.5" belt. if you're getting a 1.25" belt, the #4 buckle looks pretty cool (and not as good at 1.5" which is a shame).

i also messaged you back with more infos...

sheesh man! you messaged me at 9pm last night! :D

i could be wrong, but i think anywhere it says "solid brass" without "polished" is a typo. pretty sure all the buckles are either polished brass or polished nickel over brass. nickel vs. brass is really your call, but they'll both be shiny when new.

go with the #3 buckle on a 1.5" belt. if you're getting a 1.25" belt, the #4 buckle looks pretty cool (and not as good at 1.5" which is a shame).

i also messaged you back with more infos...

You sealed the deal... size 37 1.5 inch natural bridle leather #3 brass buckle. Yippie :D

I recently ordered a belt from LeathersGoodConnection.com as well, and I must say the quality is superb. To be able to pay fractions of other designer belts and get the same quality as bananas. I went and bought the leather work belt in tan, 1.5 width, and roller buckle, here are some pictures:

4032557073_08ef2970ac.jpg

4032557055_ce5a3c5841.jpg

4032557045_206e927b17.jpg

^^^^ I like that one... nice classic, solid belt.

Here's a question I've noticed lately... People are wearing their belts to the side instead of in the front. Now I do know of two reasons for this...

1.) they work on cars and don't want the buckle to scratch the paint

2.) they want an easy off belt so they can swing it around and hit someone.

Now the big issue I have is seeing people wearing their belts like this, but to me they're should wear it backwards, as if you have to pee, you can't undo your fly because your belt is between the front of your pants. This can only be fixed by wearing the buckle to the left of the body, not to the right...

I know it's crazy but I just don't understand how people can wear their belts like that? Help me out here..

Henry @ LGC, Shipped my belt this morning.. holy shit!

Hoping to get it on friday. Ordered it at like noon on wednesday!

henry is the man, and LGC is the spot for sure. waiting for my wallet to wear out so i can order one from him. probably have a brown belt in my future as well.

^^^^ I like that one... nice classic, solid belt.

Here's a question I've noticed lately... People are wearing their belts to the side instead of in the front. Now I do know of two reasons for this...

1.) they work on cars and don't want the buckle to scratch the paint

2.) they want an easy off belt so they can swing it around and hit someone.

Now the big issue I have is seeing people wearing their belts like this, but to me they're should wear it backwards, as if you have to pee, you can't undo your fly because your belt is between the front of your pants. This can only be fixed by wearing the buckle to the left of the body, not to the right...

I know it's crazy but I just don't understand how people can wear their belts like that? Help me out here..

I learned to wear my belt like that from old musicians. It was to keep the from getting buckle rash on your guitar etc... I only do it when on stage playing a show, but sometimes didnt get a chance to change from sweaty clothes afta so the belt stayed there. you can look at many old instrument and see this mark. Not saying this is the reason the people you are seeing do it, but this is one definite reason that I know of.

Cross post from SC threak...

My Sugar Cane garrison belt after a few months and three coats of Obenauf's:

BSPAug17-09Exports-3.jpg

I'm really loving the color and patina. The cracking was there when it arrived, hence the several coats of oil.

i'm loving this color. i pm'd him but haven't gotten a reply.

anybody know if this started out as natural tan?

i'm also about to jump on LGC's bridle belt with nickel garrison buckle. but I don't know if i should go for tan or light brown. will natural open grain tan darken to a color like this? or should i just go for light brown that has a finish and won't really darken much.

I have got to say that LGC is the best bang for the buck. I have had a natural bridle belt for 2 years and it just keeps looking better. Maybe if I feel like it I will take pics of it for y'all.

this or that question - i thought you folks might have some good insight.

i am trying to choose between these two:

4052016310_e17dfce1de_o.jpg

or this one:

4052014206_0aaed4fe8b_o.jpg

the first is a sam belt, and the second is a sc. any thoughts or ideas as to which one might be better.

your help is much appreciated!