Japan Blue Momotaro

Klaas

@theganjalife - i'm 5'11 my cuffs are about an inch and they are doubled. i have a feeling if i wear it for a couple more weeks it will not highwater as much when i sit. i think it's only highwatering because its still stiff and tight right now, i think if i wear it and stretch it out a little more in the waist i can have a lower rise and the jeans will sit lower. but i just don't know yet. i will post fit pics to get some opinions

@rubyblue - haha i wish it was that easy that would be awesome i would if i could. but too bad this raw denim hobby/lifestyle is an expensive one!

You will end up loving the jeans regardless if you hem em or not. Rock the cuffs for a week or two that's what I did. Basically a week to think about it. So I went for it.

@theganjalife - i'm 5'11 my cuffs are about an inch and they are doubled. i have a feeling if i wear it for a couple more weeks it will not highwater as much when i sit. i think it's only highwatering because its still stiff and tight right now, i think if i wear it and stretch it out a little more in the waist i can have a lower rise and the jeans will sit lower. but i just don't know yet. i will post fit pics to get some opinions

@rubyblue - haha i wish it was that easy that would be awesome i would if i could. but too bad this raw denim hobby/lifestyle is an expensive one!

Has someone (particarly Rob or Jay) seen the 0702 in person? If so, can you give a description on what it is like? Pics would be even better. Just curious of what I'm waiting for.

Jay stated it's going to be a whole new fabric (source: BlueOwl blog). If it is anything like the Grand Indigo's I'm sure it will be fantastic!

Wait just a few more days. 0702 has shipped and should arrive within a week. The fabric is pretty phenomenal.

I'm not seeing the Momotaro T-shirts anywhere on your website. Jay has been telling me he's eventually going to re stock those, but it sounded like it would be a while out. I've been trying to track down a red one in small myself.

They're out of stock at the moment... snet me a pm and I'll let you know when replenishment will take place.

Any chance Momotaro will start making t-shirt sizes that fit us oversized gaijins? I have an XL one and it fits like an American medium, which is way too small for me to wear in public. Small children would start crying and hide behind their mommies.

Posted · Hidden by Isquach, January 24, 2012 - No reason given
Hidden by Isquach, January 24, 2012 - No reason given

Hey guys first post on here. Just got my pair of 0701s in the mail and absolutely love them! First pair of japanese denim. I've got a question about stacking and if they'll settle. I know it has only been half a day but will these stacks ever settle and be mainly around the ankle? I've seen Kayo's pair it definitely seems like hers have but how long will that take

found this info on Blue owl website "The 0702 uses the darkest possible indigo available, which is actually the same indigo used on the 0705sp Going to Battle series denim. This indigo is a pure natural indigo which combined with the sulphur dyed weft will create similar wicked electric blue fades as the Grand Indigo ER007-2B". hmm - People keep referring to the indigo used on the grand model as "natural indigo". is this bullshit or am i missing something?

'Lance, I don't really get it... Where all the "natural" indigo talk comes from. I doubt natural indigo is used, since this only is used on Gold Label and some zones on the Copper Labels (the pocketbags and waistband).

Might be that it's a mixture of natural indigo and synthetic (if this is possible), since it's given the name natural indigo a lot of times. But if they use natural indigo I don't see it back in the price at which they retail.

All natural indigo jeans (like the new BiG 0705NI) cost at least twice as much, compared to synthetic indigo dyed jeans.

yeah, I agree, m1stral. my thought is they are talking about synth indigo without top/bottom/sulphur and calling it "natural". either they don't really know what they're talking about or they're just blowing smoke. :) the new big model has a much lighter indigo color than say Jomon/th zipang - also much lighter than either of the grand models. it also feels more like a 10 oz denim than the 14 1/2 oz advertised. likely because it's Sanforized. and yes, 45rpm used to do mixtures of syth and natural indigo in both denim and some of their shirts.

Edited by lance

yeah, I agree, m1stral. my thought is they are talking about synth indigo without top/bottom/sulphur and calling it "natural". either they don't really know what they're talking about or they're just blowing smoke. :) the new big model has a much lighter indigo color than say Jomon/th zipang - also much lighter than either of the grand models. it also feels more like a 10 oz denim than the 14 1/2 oz advertised. likely because it's Sanforized. and yes, 45rpm used to do mixtures of syth and natural indigo in both denim and some of their shirts.

What also could be is that things get lost in translation, when placing item characteristics. Rampuya/Momotaro is after all a Japanese company (just let Google translate a random Japanese page and you'll get what I'm trying to say). I doubt the owners/founders and workers at Momotaro don't know what they are talking about.

By the way, how could a fabric become lighter because it's sanforized? Sanforization is a process that somewhat shrinkproofs jeans by apllying heat (denim is pressed through rollers at a certain temperature). You would think that, like shrinking (by for example soaking), the density of the fabric gets thicker and thus gains weight.

I'm with you on the lighter coloured indigo though, my Copper Labels have a lighter color also (waistband inside and pocketsbags) and this is natural indigo.My guess, is that Momotaro is dyed with a combination of both natural and synthetic indigo. Don't know for sure though... But I just can't find any other reason why they call it natural indigo?

Maybe because of the color? Like if unnatural indigo is pink or something? :P

[Edit: Forgot to mention that while the difference between the 0705NI and the Grand Indio/0702 truly is remarkable colorwise ,but you must not forget that the latter two both have a black weft that helps to contribute to the really dark color]

Edited by M1stral

i have never liked shirts or pants that use sanforized cotton. they just seem flat and lifeless and yes, lighter. if you have a chance to check out the denim, you will see what i mean. i think the ads for the 702 were written by the sellers rather than by momotaro and i also think that the indigo used for the big jeans is 100% natural indigo rather than a mix. who knows, i do like the 702 though.

Edited by lance

I am considering purchasing a pair of Momotaro 705SP.

I will have to order the pair of jeans online and because I cannot try them on first, I would appreciate any sizing advice I can get.

My waist size is about 32, however, when I buy jeans with no intention of stretching them up, I usually buy a 33 or 34, since they seem to fit comfortably when I try them on.

I expect I will stretch this new pair out, so should I size down to a 31 or get a 32? How much can I expect the Momotaros to stretch?

I am considering purchasing a pair of Momotaro 705SP.

I will have to order the pair of jeans online and because I cannot try them on first, I would appreciate any sizing advice I can get.

My waist size is about 32, however, when I buy jeans with no intention of stretching them up, I usually buy a 33 or 34, since they seem to fit comfortably when I try them on.

I expect I will stretch this new pair out, so should I size down to a 31 or get a 32? How much can I expect the Momotaros to stretch?

I would say TTS or size update one. These things are one wash. Little to no shrinkage. Stretching these will he a pain, because the denim is tightly wolven.

Thinking about buying Japan Blue x Momotaro (0700SP probably). But I can't choose the size, I have Levi's W32 (in fact my waist is about 31,5''). Which Momotaro size will be good for me: 30 or 32? Different sites give different sizing, some say that 32 size = 32", some that 32 size = 34".

Also on some pics they looks like jeans with high rise, is it true?

hi teeyo, this is my first post here on sufu. maybe i can help you because i also have a japan blue/momotaro 0700sp. normally i wear size 34 and i had to size up in the japan blue/momotaro to 36. let me know if you need more info!

Edited by Bill_e_jean

What also could be is that things get lost in translation, when placing item characteristics. Rampuya/Momotaro is after all a Japanese company (just let Google translate a random Japanese page and you'll get what I'm trying to say). I doubt the owners/founders and workers at Momotaro don't know what they are talking about.

By the way, how could a fabric become lighter because it's sanforized? Sanforization is a process that somewhat shrinkproofs jeans by apllying heat (denim is pressed through rollers at a certain temperature). You would think that, like shrinking (by for example soaking), the density of the fabric gets thicker and thus gains weight.

I'm with you on the lighter coloured indigo though, my Copper Labels have a lighter color also (waistband inside and pocketsbags) and this is natural indigo.My guess, is that Momotaro is dyed with a combination of both natural and synthetic indigo. Don't know for sure though... But I just can't find any other reason why they call it natural indigo?

Maybe because of the color? Like if unnatural indigo is pink or something? :P

[Edit: Forgot to mention that while the difference between the 0705NI and the Grand Indio/0702 truly is remarkable colorwise ,but you must not forget that the latter two both have a black weft that helps to contribute to the really dark color]

Hi guys,

Do consider that indigo color differs, as well as dying techniques used, as well as dying results (oxidation, etc) (if you compare copper label/GTB/Vintage)....

The BIG NI is 100% natural indigo dyed, and is based upon the model shown at the tradeshows last year. There was little interest (because of the high retail price I guess) and gordon/momotaro decided to give the fabric a go resulting in a nice collab...

Indeed, a lot goes wrong in translation and except for the NI and some gold label which use natural indigo; with natural indigo they mean pure indigo, so not the mixed stuff (sulpur added, ...) which is a lot cheaper and very often used.