THIS OR THAT? (Use me for all your Should I Buy...? questions)

tweeds

Check out Imperial SEXI 14 (SE only has a few sizes left but maybe they have yours) or pretty much anything from Pure Blue Japan other than the 011's.

Thanks, putting the Imperial's at the top of my list along with Strike Gold. Hopefully SE in LA has them both and I can check them out in person. Thanks!

Nudie Grim Tim Org. Dry Brown Selvage 30x34 or PBJ XX-013 Raw 29/One-wash 31 (dunno which I should go with if I choose the PBJ)?

I'm a size 30-31 ish, I fluctuate. I already ordered the Nudies and they're on the way but I ran into this picture of the PBJ and now I kind of want them. I'm pretty sure these are the XX-013 cut.

tumblr_m8rudiUOgS1qgusdbo1_500.jpg

Edited by MrUnicorn

'm bout to pull the trigger and get a pair for my everyday, every (non-suit) situation. It'll be my only shoes. Bear in mind, I'm poor, so I cant afford to get a boot that is in style this year and will be out next year (i.e. trendy)

Need some input/help picking a pair because I have NO style. So I'm between the Natural Trench Boot with Captoe, Natural Trench Boot with Captoe and Vibram Sole, and the Black Trench Boot (exclusive to Context).

Here's links of each one. Your fashionable insights are truly appreciated.

Natural Trench w/Captoe and Leather Sole

http://oakstreetboot...toe-trench-boot

Natural Trech w/Captoe and Vibram Sole

http://oakstreetboot...toe-trench-boot

Black Trench (no captoe)

http://www.contextcl...tem.php?id=3785

Thank you!

Edited by Ponyboy312

Nudie Grim Tim Org. Dry Brown Selvage 30x34 or PBJ XX-013 Raw 29/One-wash 31 (dunno which I should go with if I choose the PBJ)?

I'm a size 30-31 ish, I fluctuate. I already ordered the Nudies and they're on the way but I ran into this picture of the PBJ and now I kind of want them. I'm pretty sure these are the XX-013 cut.

tumblr_m8rudiUOgS1qgusdbo1_500.jpg

Got the Nudie Grim Tims and I don't like the fit.

Now I'm in the dilemma of xx-013 raw or xx-011 raw. I'm pretty sure the measurements are about the same. Which should I get, guys?

I just got the xx-013 in a 29 raw a few weeks ago. I'm about a 29.5-30 waist, and the fit on these is awesome. I did a warm soak while wearing them, then an additional hot soak of just the top block. Really nice slub denim, already starting to show some contrast in high friction areas.

The only thing I'd warn you about is the thigh/knee measurements - these were really slim on mine. Definitely try them on before the initial soak to see if they're gonna fit once they shrink down. (that's why I soaked while wearing them, to prevent the thigh and knee from getting too small).

Got the Nudie Grim Tims and I don't like the fit.

Now I'm in the dilemma of xx-013 raw or xx-011 raw. I'm pretty sure the measurements are about the same. Which should I get, guys?

I just got the xx-013 in a 29 raw a few weeks ago. I'm about a 29.5-30 waist, and the fit on these is awesome. I did a warm soak while wearing them, then an additional hot soak of just the top block. Really nice slub denim, already starting to show some contrast in high friction areas.

The only thing I'd warn you about is the thigh/knee measurements - these were really slim on mine. Definitely try them on before the initial soak to see if they're gonna fit once they shrink down. (that's why I soaked while wearing them, to prevent the thigh and knee from getting too small).

What does fit awesome mean? Lol. Does your waist area have room or is it tight? For your soak, how long did you sit inside the tub for? And after that soak, you dipped only the waist line into hot water for how long? Btw can you post up some fit pics? Sorry for asking so much haha

Pony - don't take it to heart fella, it's only banter. At least you got a response. Anyway, doesn't matter if you are poor and can only afford the one boot. This isn't superfashion or some other trash. One pair of good boots oughta do it. Besides, in a year they'll look decent if you maintain them - e.g. most important; brush off dried mud, and second; treat with an occasional light, hand applied coating of any good boot cream or tallow/beeswax dubbin.

All this shit about shoe trees and rotation, all bollocks in my opinion.

Of all the boots you posted, I think the black from context is actually a pretty magnificent looking boot. But it's horses for courses, one man's meat etc. You like what you like. You really need to see them in person to gauge the quality and try the last sizing against your foot shape.

I'd seriously suggest whetting your appetite by spending a few hours in here ;

old thread; http://supertalk.sup...etter-with-age/

new thread; http://supertalk.sup...-with-age-2012/

Good luck.

Your words input and advice are much appreicated. Thanks alot BossHog

No probs, and now I wish I had chosen that as a screen name!

The other thing is that at the Oak Street price it is quite a wide market - there many boots at this price point at which I'd suggest are all roughly comparable; for off the shelf stuff (as opposed to semi-custom on standard models e.g. Whites) you could have a look at Yuketen and also Rancourt, or for a lesser sum Thorogood.

The English marks Alfred Sargent and/or Trickers are likely priced out, and quite frankly I think a perfectly serviceable boot should be achievable without that extra $100..

What I would say is that if you aren't close enough to a retailer to get a good handle on any of the boots you find then go for a retailer with decent returns terms. LL Bean are noted for this, from whom you could consider the Chippewa made Katahdin boot. There's a massive thread at SF for more reading...

\\

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm going to look up those alternatives. As for location, I'm live in Chicago, so that was part of the attraction to the Oak St. Boots since they are a Chi-town company and their leather (Horween) is manufactured here. They've got a shop here (Independence) where I can get a look at the boots and fitted for them. So theres some of the background on my attaction to the brand.. I love buying local. Big ups again on the advice!

Opinions on what pair I should get next:

1. Samurai 710. I already have a pair of Iron Hearts, so Im leaning away from these, but every pair I see looks fantastic.

2. Full Count 1108. Again, like just about every pair I have seen. They look great. A bit concerned about the sizing.

3. Pure Blues Japan (maybe 013 or 003). Leaning towards these the most because of the slubby denim.

opinions? thoughts? tell me to go fuck myself?