SUPERDENIM SMALL QUESTIONS THREAD (Use instead of making new threads)

minya

question about cold soak... will i lose my creases? do you guys add starch to the water??

IMG_3473.jpg

maybe try wearing them in the shower to wash them if you're concerned with losing your creases...

...and don't add starch to the water...

Hey Guys, I'm new here. I've been amassing a wealth of knowledge from everyone these forums recently. Anyways, I'm new to raw denim, a friend of mine who is really into it suggested I try a pair of STF's before I went out and invested seriously in a pair of nice denim. So, this question relates specifically to my 501s, which I've been wearing for about a week now. But it really is a general question as well.

I could bore you with a bunch of the details, but I'll get straight to the point. The main waist button hole is exhibiting a lot of wear, or at least it appears to me, after only a week or so. I originally got a size larger, but they were too big after soaking, so I returned them to Macy's (gotta love that). Anyways, is this normal? Should I be concerned about this, aka, are the jeans too small or is it a quality issue? I know they are supposed to stretch out and I don't think I've really given them a chance to. On the other hand there seems to be a lot of loose threads hanging about, even if it doesn't appear the stitching is compromised.

Obviously these aren't 45rpms or samurais, so I don't expect them to be beautifully crafted, but is this normal? If you guys need better pics just let me know. Thanks.

4324_1113306195370_1308360591_30650405_560957_n.jpg

4324_1113306235371_1308360591_30650406_2923578_n.jpg

And if this is better off in the "small questions thread" feel free to move it, whoever does that.

WHAT???

What size in the same jean would likely have a 10 inch rise instead of 9?

A smaller size won't have a longer rise, firstly. Probably if the sz32 is 9in, you're looking a 35-36 for 10in.

i'm not talking about the same jean. so for example I have a pair of skulls with waist 32 and rise 9 inch. This fits me perfectly. But i want to get another jeans, say the flathead. on a waist 32 but the rise is 10 inch. The skulls wont fit the same as the FH because the FH has a longer rise. When its 9 inch it sits on your hip. when it 10 inch, it's probably near the belly button.

so my question is, should i size down/up on the flathead?

i'm not talking about the same jean. so for example I have a pair of skulls with waist 32 and rise 9 inch. This fits me perfectly. But i want to get another jeans, say the flathead. on a waist 32 but the rise is 10 inch. The skulls wont fit the same as the FH because the FH has a longer rise. When its 9 inch it sits on your hip. when it 10 inch, it's probably near the belly button.

so my question is, should i size down/up on the flathead?

You would size down, because your waist is smaller than your hips. Whether you size down 1 or 2 would depend on your own body structure.

Are these:

BANKS-1290.jpg

Gonna look weird (in size 11.5 US) with sz. 29 SExSC06's? the hems are 7.8 before shrinking, but they're unsanforized. I don't really have experience with boots of STF jawns.

i don't think those are going to look good with anything.

unless you're oliver twist.

i don't think those are going to look good with anything.

unless you're oliver twist.

Haha, word. I'm basically looking for a cheap version of PS Sundances:

ps1.jpg

Tricker's and Grenson are even a little expensive for me, but tell me if you know of something better-looking than those Loakes I posted that wouldn't run much more than $200.

warehouse dubbleworks 660 sizing:

i am a real 32,5" waist and wear skulls5010XX 6x6 size 30 (sized down one) and really skinny.

for the 660 i'm planning to get size 29. right choice? or can i go down to size 28. i'm looking for a relaxed fit.

@grouse I think that a possible explanation for that could be that the fabric is at a given state, over time you're stretching it, and when water comes in contact with it it wants to return to it's original state.

I've never owned a pair of APC's, but could that be the cause? Or are they tighter than when you first bought them? Or is it you might just feel like they are because they've been stretched so long?

when sanforized, it gets put through a steam process and does not get ALL the shrinkage out. how much it is shrunk depends on the denim and the amount of sanforization its put through. thats y you should always soak before you wear, even if it is sanforized denim, because there is going to be shrinkage

i feel like ive said this many many times..

warehouse dubbleworks 660 sizing:

i am a real 32,5" waist and wear skulls5010XX 6x6 size 30 (sized down one) and really skinny.

for the 660 i'm planning to get size 29. right choice? or can i go down to size 28. i'm looking for a relaxed fit.

29 is my recommendation. i have a 29 and they are a 31 post wash and have prob stretched an extra inch easily

does natural indigo dye last longer than lower quality jeans chemical dyes? I feel like a pair of dark gap jeans will retain its color better than a pair of say Saumurai's. From the evolutions thread you can see how much color is lost from only a handful of washes but I can remember when I had Gap jeans as a kid that they didn't lose too much color even after biweekly washes. Gap > High end Japanese denim (In terms of color retention atleast)???

does natural indigo dye last longer than lower quality jeans chemical dyes? I feel like a pair of dark gap jeans will retain its color better than a pair of say Saumurai's. From the evolutions thread you can see how much color is lost from only a handful of washes but I can remember when I had Gap jeans as a kid that they didn't lose too much color even after biweekly washes. Gap > High end Japanese denim (In terms of color retention atleast)???

Looking at natural and synthetic indigo as higher and lower quality is not really accurate.

They're apples and oranges, mostly (and 99% of Samurais are synthetic anyway, just as the GAPs would have been)

As for color retention, other things will factor as well.

Were you comparing before and after shots of those Gaps you had "as a kid"?

Were you watching for fades? Cuz I'll bet they were quite a lot lighter on the last day than the first.

Were you wearing them every day THEN washing them every other week? Were they starchy with hard creases?

The gaps may have had other dyes in addition to the indigo, may have been resin treated,

Besides... most of the color lost in those Japanese jeans comes from the abrasion. Many are still quite dark in non-wearing areas even after a year of daily wear.

(check out the 'holy grail' eternal 811's)

• superfuture unpinned, featured, unfeatured and pinned this topic