Word of Mouth - Contest Feeler Thread

WoM - Contest duration  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Which denim should we use?

• RS1950-ROW
    • RS501-UF

This poll is closed to new votes

My deposit is on its way this week.

I'm still undecided between the 5150 and the S411! 

I have a number of 50's cuts and only 1 WW2 model (and 1 46 cut too), but maybe the 50's cut is just more my thing?!

Probably getting a bit too hung up on it 🙃

Unpopular opinion - I don't like most WWII details. Pockets bags are usually too heavy. Rear pockets are often too small. Wonky stitching doesn't matter to me. Unfinished fly is unappealing. I prefer coin pocket rivets. I do love the laurel wreath buttons though!

15 minutes ago, Jared_Lee said:

Unpopular opinion - I don't like most WWII details. Pockets bags are usually too heavy. Rear pockets are often too small. Wonky stitching doesn't matter to me. Unfinished fly is unappealing. I prefer coin pocket rivets. I do love the laurel wreath buttons though!

Laurel wreath donut buttons and painted arcs are my favourite features of WW2 jeans but sadly, unless it’s LVC, the latter are increasingly difficult to come by.

8 minutes ago, nopal said:

I'm going to go with a cut I don't already have and will consider it a bonus to participating.

This was also a consideration for me, hence me also considering a "42ish" cut that was mentioned as an adhoc version for the contest.

9 minutes ago, Maynard Friedman said:

Laurel wreath donut buttons and painted arcs are my favourite features of WW2 jeans but sadly, unless it’s LVC, the latter are increasingly difficult to come by.

Same, I have painted arcs on my Samurai S3000vx and Flat Head 3003xx and love how they look. The 3003xx also has the olive herringbone pocketbags, I know this is a common detail on WWII repro jeans but this is probably my favorite pocket material, period.

3 hours ago, Jared_Lee said:

This is understandable. 

I’m looking at the s411 as I don’t have any jeans with a reversed yoke and cinch etc, so hopefully I’ll get the ww2/40s fit (kind of),  but with some interesting and different details to my other jeans. Win win for me. 

edit: someone buy my Freewheelers 47s so I can justify buying more 40s jeans (typed whilst wearing other Freewheelers 47s ;) )

Edited by UkeNo

41 minutes ago, UkeNo said:

edit: someone buy my Freewheelers 47s so I can justify buying more 40s jeans (typed whilst wearing other Freewheelers 47s ;) )

I did see the price drop on the sales thread and gave it a thought for a minute! haha!

Hey @beautiful_FrEaK, thanks again for organizing. I had a question about measurements. I'm noticing your pair of 411s in size 36 has a raw front rise measurement of 12.5" but the listed raw measurement based on the size chart should be around 33.5 cm / 13.19". Any insight as to why there is a noticeable discrepancy here? I like my rises to err on the higher side and I'd be disappointed if the contest jeans had a similar discrepancy.

Also how is the waist measured? and finally will hemming be provided with the cost of the contest jeans?

Thank you in advance and sorry if I'm missing something here

2 hours ago, beautiful_FrEaK said:

Me as well...but then I luckily saw the inseam ;)

@UkeNothe S411 is as the 611 (they are basically the same only different names) rather a late 30s cut.

Same length as the inseam on your WoM’s now though.
I’m 6ft tall and they’re still quite long.  

Edited by UkeNo

3 hours ago, theguywhoknewthatguy said:

...and finally will hemming be provided with the cost of the contest jeans?

You'll be able to provide Simone your inseam from the get-go.

I'm going 34" inseam as it seems this denim shrinks a fair bit (3.5" in length from b_F's posts) so that will put me at a 30.5" and give me either a clean leg, or, I will cuff it to show just the hem, so 0.25" give or take. 

Sent the money over to Simone, pretty excited for a 411 pair. I ended up sending the money through Goods and Services with a bit more to cover the free since it was cheaper to do that and use my bank's conversion rate than pay the extra $5-10 in fees from paypal. 

9 hours ago, theguywhoknewthatguy said:

Hey @beautiful_FrEaK, thanks again for organizing. I had a question about measurements. I'm noticing your pair of 411s in size 36 has a raw front rise measurement of 12.5" but the listed raw measurement based on the size chart should be around 33.5 cm / 13.19". Any insight as to why there is a noticeable discrepancy here? I like my rises to err on the higher side and I'd be disappointed if the contest jeans had a similar discrepancy.

Also how is the waist measured? and finally will hemming be provided with the cost of the contest jeans?

Thank you in advance and sorry if I'm missing something here

He measures the waist Blue in Green style. Waisband aligned and straight across. How I also measure my jeans.

I will ask him about the discrepancy (I think some is to be expected). Maybe the measurements are from the pattern and during sewing it can change? I will confirm.

And like already quoted, you can specifiy the inseam you need at no extra costs.

19 hours ago, Cold Summer said:

Same, I have painted arcs on my Samurai S3000vx and Flat Head 3003xx and love how they look. The 3003xx also has the olive herringbone pocketbags, I know this is a common detail on WWII repro jeans but this is probably my favorite pocket material, period.

Yeah the painted arcs on those are amazing. My biggest gripe is the smaller pocket size. It's not big enough for the larger phones. 7" phones likely weren't much of a major consideration in the 1940's 

4 hours ago, OutSider said:

Yeah the painted arcs on those are amazing. My biggest gripe is the smaller pocket size. It's not big enough for the larger phones. 7" phones likely weren't much of a major consideration in the 1940's 

I didn't feel like the S3000vx had noticeably smaller pockets than lots of other pairs I've owned. Though I do prefer big front pockets since I have large hands, it's nice to have somewhere to put them. Nice thing about a contest like this, you can make sure the maker builds the jeans with reasonably-sized pockets!

I carry a pretty compact phone (iPhone SE), but I've found the best solution to pocket space, avoiding ugly fades, and general convenience is to just keep my phone and other EDC in a bag when I'm out and about.