Sign in to follow this  
Double 0 Soul

SugarCane 1990's M-Series Archive

This^^^^^ is a really great page of nicely worn jeans B)

Edit- Aw! bollocks.. talk about sod's law!

Edited by Double 0 Soul

Got these M41001s for cheap via Yahoo Japan. I now understand the early Sugarcane love!

The denim is very similar to the Valencia St Levi's stuff. Very stout. 

fullsizeoutput_321.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_322.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_323.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_324.jpeg

Those chambray jeans are cool. I'd definitely buy a pair if I could find in my size.

More stuff I don’t need but couldn’t resist anyway due to the price and self-created peer pressure from being on Sufu (part 153)!

M41326, tagged size 33x36, raw size 35x40! There were no 32s available. I’ve no idea when these were made but I believe post-1998. Key features:

• Paper patch
  • Offset rear belt loop
  • Green selvedge (none in coin pocket)
  • Button backs marked ‘00’ (in honour of the illustrious thread creator) on the stiffest buttons I’ve ever had the displeasure of doing up
  • Deep storage creases throughout the legs and musty smell, both created through many years of inactivity in a box on a shelf somewhere in Japan

256C3B85-6FFD-4675-97FC-A5ABB3A7F0B3.jpeg

E8ECC3E8-914A-4F39-8565-3444C272173F.jpeg

5C6D2205-975E-4DB7-968F-B846858530C9.jpeg

2ED9432C-E494-4B02-A525-5D576E5FA370.jpeg

1F5F4910-1F40-4836-BA2C-A18EDA6B2759.jpeg

3D09013F-96B0-4484-9264-A365AF11FF0B.jpeg

Edited by Maynard Friedman

Nicely done Martin!

Lovely pair of jeans, they are indeed 1998> brother model to the 4th M41400's posted on page one, only difference is these have a button fly instead of zip.

They did quite a few versions of these 50's repro paper patch models, black denim M41301, bootcut M41302.. It goes on.. there are even some bolder colours for those Portillo years you've been promising us.

I've not seen the 00 button back though...damn, so nice!

I was outbid on a pair of these listed on Yahoo years ago.. only for them to crop up on ebay 2 weeks later at twice the price..

There’s quite a few pairs on Yahoo now Neal, including another 33, fortunately mine was the cheapest pair listed. Someone found a box somewhere…

I've always liked that shade of blue, i've never seen a pair in the flesh but it always looks vibrant and a lot less inky than most raw denim offerings.. reminiscent of the pre-wash Miura-46 denim (which instantly darkens when it hits water) You'd better wear em Martin! I'm already looking fwd to your bi-annual fade pics.

Edited by Double 0 Soul

They’re going in the wash this week to get those 20 yr-old creases out but they’ll need a hem unless the inseam shrinks by 8”!

Great find—color does look very similar to the raw M41200, nice true blue

I gave the M41326 their first wash, 1 hour on ‘denim’ setting in the machine - 40°C followed by 900rpm spin. They lost 2” in the waist and 3” on the inseam, so are now a more reasonable 33x37. Hopefully the smell and creases will be gone (or at least reduced) once dry.

EDIT: I remeasured now they’re dry and they’re actually 33x37. I think I’ll give them another wash for final shrinkage and then get them hemmed. Smell has gone and the creases too, although they’ve left their mark. Patch survived!

Edited by Maynard Friedman

There's a whole slew of very good condition '90s Cane's up on Mercari right now, for anyone in the 28–30" waist range

Yes, and some nice M41072 in W33, which I don't see very often at all

(My sniper bid on the M41030 is in at ¥20k, for anyone thinking of throwing their hat in—please let me know if you're planning on bidding more and I can cancel mine so that it doesn't drive the price up)

Edited by julian-wolf

56 minutes ago, julian-wolf said:

There's a whole slew of very good condition '90s Cane's up on Mercari right now, for anyone in the 28–30" waist range

I'm not seeing them, but I'm not good at this sort of stuff. 

I'd love to eventually find a pair of raw old canes with arcs in some sort of more generous, classic cut with a true 29 or 29.5" waist - never put in much the time to dig on japanese markets cuz I've just never really seen my size when I did. My current (contemporary - the edo ai) canes at 30 are a little looser in the waist than I'd like but unless the thighs are generous enough I'm probably looking at that size still. 

1 hour ago, julian-wolf said:

Yes, and some nice M41072 in W33, which I don't see very often at all

(My sniper bid on the M41030 is in at ¥20k, for anyone thinking of throwing their hat in—please let me know if you're planning on bidding more and I can cancel mine so that it doesn't drive the price up)

I can delete my post if you like to create less competition 

No, certainly not. If anyone here wants them enough to pay more than I’m willing to pay, they should have them. It would just seem like a shame for multiple of us to bid on them & make whoever wins pay more than necessary. Better to be transparent about sniper bids from the start for everyone’s sake.

Edited by julian-wolf

Been doing a lot of yard work in these M41001. Really falling in love with them, old school fit, but it's the texture of the denim. It's blowing my damn mind. 

20220702_112949-01.jpeg

20220702_113032-01.jpeg

20220702_112957-01.jpeg

20220702_113007-01.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Graytrain said:

Been doing a lot of yard work in these M41001. Really falling in love with them, old school fit, but it's the texture of the denim. It's blowing my damn mind.

20220702_112957-01.jpeg

20220702_113007-01.jpeg

Nicely done! ..both of these^ photos look indistinguishable to vintage denim

12 minutes ago, Double 0 Soul said:

Nicely done! ..both of these^ photos look indistinguishable to vintage denim

Yes agree! Very gray caste with those little micro wrinkles that just get me. I am really starting to believe sugarcane denim is one of the best. Total sleeper, non flashy but gorgeous with time an patience. 

Lovely @Graytrain, the texture reminds me of Warehouse or possibly old Denime with all those wrinkles and crinkles.

This fabric is making some of the most amazing blues I’ve seen, here at about 5 months wear and maybe a dozen washes.

F9816E88-B890-4C01-9D6E-5FA47057A256.thumb.jpeg.e1c3a3659ce30ac3cc2e4ca9b5db8f86.jpeg

Sugar Cane remains the king of underrated brands! The denim fades insanely nice and is at a great price point.