Standard & Strange / Oakland CA / Info, Updates, Etc

mrsmiff

Stopped by the shop the morning and was delighted to see a lovely Union Special being set up by none other than Roy Slaper! It sounds like things are still getting dialed in, but the S&S gents should be offering in-house chainstitch hemming in the near future.

This is a little off the beaten path for the denim crew, but we just landed a small order of 1st PAT-RN.  It's a line that goes along perfectly stylistically with our denim selections, and with our dedication to provenance and quality.  Everything's made in Italy from the yarn on up, and the fits are superb.

We picked up three pieces to start, the admiral blazer, the campo jacket, and the reco chinos.

The blazer is a knit soft-structured piece made from a hopsack (ok sort-of-hopsack, since it's knit).  

o94mOI5.jpg

The Campo jacket and the Reco chinos are both made from buttery soft twill:

pAhhB6g.jpg

Another fit pic on those chinos:

LTBi0wF.jpg

Edited by mrsmiff

Stopped by the shop the morning and was delighted to see a lovely Union Special being set up by none other than Roy Slaper! It sounds like things are still getting dialed in, but the S&S gents should be offering in-house chainstitch hemming in the near future.

I've been spending a lot of time making practice hems, that's for sure.

How are the shoulders on the twin skin? Roomy or high and narrow?

I asked this before in an e-mail but couldn't pull the trigger. Now that's I got a different job and it's raining quite a bit I might go for it.

Fairly roomy.   I can get into mine with an armored undershirt on.  It is clearance/final sale, so shoot us an email with sizing info on another jacket that fits you well so I can confirm for you.

Any chance you guys are picking up Alden in the future? I'm always interested in custom mockups from all the various retailers, would be cool to see what you could come up with...

We've had Alden for a while now!  

We're just starting custom makeups - I'm going to open the pre-order shortly.

Boot #1:

Plain Toe Boot

Barrie last

Reverse Tobacco Chamois

Antique Brass Eyelets - no speedhooks

Full stormwelt all the way around.

antique edged soles

Commando outsole + heel

Boot #2:

Indy boot

Black Walkabout (it's nicer than CXL)

Black eyelets - no speedhooks

Black reverse welt

Black midsole

Black commando sole/heel.

Edited by mrsmiff

Picked up the Indigo/Cream flanned from Indigo Fera that's posted on page one. Know fuck-all about the brand but the pics looked nice and since not a single Japanese brand besides Iron Heart is willing to consider men of girth, I figured I would give it a shot. The cream color looks much more like latte color than in the pics on this page IMO but I actually prefer it. Material is very nice, slightly rigid with a relatively smooth hand. Construction seems up to snuff. Its not the most insanely over engineered thing like some brands you come across but its well built and very clean. "Better" buttons might have been a nice detail but I can live with these for sure.

Fit is spot on for me (yeah yea.. no pics at the moment sorry. Will post when I get some) and this brand could be a really nice option for people who feel frustrated that most brands stop at 22 or 23 inches pit to pit.

Customer service was top notch. Quick email confirmation with a few follow up questions on sizing and the shirt was in the mail the next morning and in my hands the morning after.

Nice to have a new presence in the bay area (er... new to me I guess? Since that pic does say 3 year anniv) and brand representation for Kapital. Will be keeping an eye on the store and dropping in when out in the East Bay.

Edited by ColdStorage

Picked up the Indigo/Cream flanned from Indigo Fera that's posted on page one. Know fuck-all about the brand but the pics looked nice and since not a single Japanese brand besides Iron Heart is willing to consider men of girth, I figured I would give it a shot. The cream color looks much more like latte color than in the pics on this page IMO but I actually prefer it. Material is very nice, slightly rigid with a relatively smooth hand. Construction seems up to snuff. Its not the most insanely over engineered thing like some brands you come across but its well built and very clean. "Better" buttons might have been a nice detail but I can live with these for sure.

Fit is spot on for me (yeah yea.. no pics at the moment sorry. Will post when I get some) and this brand could be a really nice option for people who feel frustrated that most brands stop at 22 or 23 inches pit to pit.

Customer service was top notch. Quick email confirmation with a few follow up questions on sizing and the shirt was in the mail the next morning and in my hands the morning after.

Nice to have a new presence in the bay area (er... new to me I guess? Since that pic does say 3 year anniv) and brand representation for Kapital. Will be keeping an eye on the store and dropping in when out in the East Bay.

I'm glad that all worked out for you!   We are very focused on customer service - anyone can buy cool shit and put it in a room, but we want to make happy people.  

Re: the buttons - how would you change them?  We're very close to the IF guys and can always suggest something new to them.

any pics of those two boots?

They do not exist yet - this is the first time through for our special make-up program with Alden.

I don't want to repost other shop's images here, but a quick google image search  for "plain toe boot tobacco reverse chamois" will turn up a bunch of examples of similar boots.  The big 3 changes for from what Winn Perry made, for example, is that we're doing all eyelets with no speedhooks, and the choice of the commando (mini-lug) sole over the plantation crepe that most folks are using.

The black indy will look a lot like a chromexcel black indy, but with more depth to the leather tone, no pull-up, and of course, the commando sole, black-out edging, and no speedhooks.

Update on our Alden pre-order:

I asked Alden about the Walkabout leather we're using on the blackout Indy boot, and here's what they said:

Walkabout is a nubuck that has a coating of wax on the buffed top grain. The wax top gives the leather a mostly matte appearance. A gentle brushing with cream will temporarily even out any marks from wear. Although the wax would allow for a more burnished, brighter finish I don’t recommend it. The burnish of the wax layer breaks down rather quickly during wear, often unevenly.

To my mind, Walkabout is best used as a boot or work shoe, casual, “beat it up†type of leather, a use in which it can become quite flat and dull in appearance.

In general: Nubuck is a fairly dry tannage in which the grain (top) side of the leather has been buffed with a very fine sandpaper to produce a soft, buffed top, almost suede-like but with a very short “napâ€

It finally happened....

the-real-mccoys-logo-640480-thumb-350x26

has landed in-store.  We can't take online orders, nor can we ship out of the USA, but if you have any questions about the brand, the product, or anything else, you can hit us up here, at [email protected], or give us a call at the shop.

We're heavy on the knits right now, along with one run of the Lot 004 jeans (which I absolutely love), lots of the bandanas, a few Buco curved horsehide belts, and a few other pieces.

Congrats on landing the RMC stuff. Are you guys going to be carrying the Buco J-100 at any point?

I've been really considering one for this fall against all better judgement...

We are trying to get the J-100 in - they were sold out for wholesale right now.  Probably FW16. 

Are you guys planning on stocking any east Asian brands?

The reason I ask is because I recently saw an oldblueco photo on instagram where you guys were hashtaged

This is true.  We are stocking Old Blue - the box is currently in the mail.  We're starting with the 19oz in the 8.25" cut, and we'll go from there.  I'm not sure what else we'll bring in from Southeast Asia yet, we'll see what happens with Old Blue...