What about Jeans Jackets ....

beatle

Just posted this in the vintage thread but i guess its more relevant here!

For those that didn't know how and always wanted to know.. this is how you put on a denim jacket.

Martin Sheen in Badlands (1973)

1950's Second Edition (type II) 'Big E' Levi's 507 XX Jacket ;)

'WINNING!'

kOhDvz7ETC8

Not to derail but that's actually the only way Martin Sheen can put on a jacket.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000640/bio

"He can only put his jacket on by flipping it over his head (like Bartlet in "The West Wing" (1999)). His left arm was crushed by forceps when he was born and he has limited lateral movement."

I have a current Levi's Rigid Type 3 jacket, made in China. Not a bad jacket for the money and a decent quality denim, the stitching leaves a bit to be desired but then again it's not exactly IH or FH or something.

Bought this off eBay for a nice price. just hope it arrives and all that good stuff.

Black denims

5548161655_96948348f3_b.jpg

5548744310_cafab0140d_z.jpg.

5548162699_927327b823_b.jpg

Not to derail but that's actually the only way Martin Sheen can put on a jacket.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000640/bio

"He can only put his jacket on by flipping it over his head (like Bartlet in "The West Wing" (1999)). His left arm was crushed by forceps when he was born and he has limited lateral movement."

Dude, i just went and crushed my left arm with some forceps. Works perfectly. Now I can put my jacket on with style.:)

Guest rusholmeruffian

Is it me, can't find any mention of Badlands in that bio. Definively the way to rock the tux though.

Rather than crush my forcep I'll build up a bicep, best dig out some old episodes of baywatch

HAHAHAHA Are you for real? How on earth did you find that out? might consider repping for that observation. gotta admit cool jacket tho ;)

***Update***

nqw0-gplqhc

Levis shop has a new type 2ish jacket in tan selvedge. Looks like an alternate fabric take on the 'neppy rigid' on the website. The only thing that bugs me (other than made in Turkey) is that the pocket sides aren't vertical, but not as slanted as a type 3, so it looks a little unintentional. I like seeing other colors in quality denim, not just the oe.

Levis shop has a new type 2ish jacket in tan selvedge. Looks like an alternate fabric take on the 'neppy rigid' on the website. The only thing that bugs me (other than made in Turkey) is that the pocket sides aren't vertical, but not as slanted as a type 3, so it looks a little unintentional. I like seeing other colors in quality denim, not just the oe.

Did you come across it on their site, and if so, would you mind adding the link? I just took a look since it sounds pretty interesting, but I can't find it on their site, not even through their less than effective search function.

Edit: I found it, so never mind on the link.

Gorgeous. How does it fit? I've been lusting after that jacket for a while now as well, but I wanted to see how it fits first. Specifically, how long in the body is it? It looks longer than the Levis models of similar vintage (which I'd like).

Gorgeous. How does it fit? I've been lusting after that jacket for a while now as well, but I wanted to see how it fits first. Specifically, how long in the body is it? It looks longer than the Levis models of similar vintage (which I'd like).

Thanks, you're right about it being a tad longer compared to the type 1 Levi's.

It's fitted in the body, with somewhat wider sleeves and shoulders, looks really vintage.

I'll see if i can take a fit pic in the next few days, i don't have time for it right now unfortunately.

It falls just below the belt on a jeans with medium rise, to me that's perfect, i also figured it would be a little longer so that was one of the reasons for me to choose this jacket.

That and the details, especially the pocket bag shape which i really like.

Hope you enjoy the jacket Mich.

I have the same model and have loved wearing ever it since I got it for christams 2009. Its currently on the washing line, drying after its first wash.

Hope you enjoy the jacket Mich.

I have the same model and have loved wearing ever it since I got it for christams 2009. Its currently on the washing line, drying after its first wash.

Thanks, i'd love to see some evo pics of your jacket if you have the opportunity to take some.

I'm pretty curious how the fading is.

That's a very nice fit Dr_Heech, mine fits tighter in the body, well could be i'm just a fat bloke :D

That was a few years ago mind. Here's a more recent one from the royxcone thread-

sufuandebay029.jpg

Feels a little snugger now (potential beer belly syndrome - I've had it all my life)

a recent ebay purchase. seller said that he got it from an estate auction somewhere in Minnesota. I was wondering if anyone could help me with what year it's from?

IMG_3395-1.jpg

I'd love to wear it raw but it smells horrible.

I think it was the same jacket I was watching. By the looks of it, it's a mid to late 1970's Levi's Type 3, or 70505-0217 jacket (although this is the LONG version, so it's a 71205-0217). Is there a number on the rear of the buttons?

What's the smell, general storage funk? Put it in a plastic bag with an open box of baking soda for a couple days, then hang it outside in the breeze for a couple more.

it's probably just the smell of old denim. I personally like the smell, as I've only smelled it with old denim. Not just old clothes. Especially if the denim has been sitting for lots of years.

anyone else know that smell?

it's a musty smell, almost chemical. I had the jacket on for about a half hour last night and that's all I could take. maybe outdoors it would be a different case, but I doubt the wife is going appreciate me stinking up the house. it could be an old denim smell, but there's some must in there as well.

I could be mothballs as well. That would give a chemical smell. It's fairly volatile stuff that dissipates fairly quickly. I'd experiment, as it's only raw once.

Hooligan, is that a sort of meaty, bready smell? I haven't smelled much old denim, but you get it from bolts of new uncut denim.