What about Jeans Jackets ....

beatle

When you don't tuck t-shirts in, a longer jacket, even if only by a couple inches, makes a big difference.

-Jake

I also have a few originals, which are short (23.5" from collar seam to waist!).

1960's Lee100J 'westerner

004.jpg

005.jpg

And a late 1950's-early 60's Lee 101LJ 'stormrider'

006.jpg

Beautifull early embriodered tag..

008-1.jpg

and....

His 'n' Hers !

012-1.jpg

My Wife's jacket has a slightly earlier tag

009.jpg

but with no registered trademark, just 'T' for trademark.

010.jpg

And finally, comparison of wool blanket linings..

011-1.jpg

man , enough now, hahhaa

they are awesome, i think that the thing with repro jackets is that they are actually to long compared to the originals. how long are those beautiful 50s 101ljs?

you really have a nice collection there!!!!!!!

this years real mccoys 101lj is also a 50s repro, just look at this beautiful lining

I have the same problem with my LVC jackets (hence their getting sold). How much longer are the Lee jackets in the body, overall?

-Jake

What are you selling (sizes/condition) and where are you selling them?

Ebay's a F***ing rip-off, so many stealth price-hikes now - I sold a pair of jeans last month for £180 inc.p+p, I was charged £26 altogether from ebay/paypal. It's not a sellers market, that's for sure.

What are you selling (sizes/condition) and where are you selling them?

Ebay's a F***ing rip-off, so many stealth price-hikes now - I sold a pair of jeans last month for £180 inc.p+p, I was charged £26 altogether from ebay/paypal. It's not a sellers market, that's for sure.

The Type II and Type I jacket I've posted here. I'd prefer to avoid eBay, but if I don't get any good offers, I usually cave and put items up for sale there.

-Jake

man , enough now, hahhaa

they are awesome, i think that the theing with the repro jackets that they are actually to long compare to the originals. how long are those beautiful 50s 101ljs?

you really have a nice collection there!!!!!!!

this years rela mccoys 101lj is also a 50s repro, just look at this beautiful lining

Thanks,

Both my 100J and 101LJ are 23.5" from collar-seam to waist. Very short, but wearable - JUST - a real cowboy-esque look (Both worn by Paul Newman in the 1963 film, HUD).

In my experience with the earlier/troy mills type wool blanket-lining patterns, the dark/light grey with yellow stripe is the mid sixties - early seventies era type, mid- sixties had an added thin red line to the combo, and earlier versions look like the two I've posted. It took me years to search ebay for these two. My size 46, I had to get up at 2am to snipe-bid the thing - cost me £150 !! Well worth it, I reckon.

sounds perfect, and the lining is really special for that time period. the late 40s also have a very nice lining in grey and pink. warehouse is going to have a replica this year. i have postet it in the lee tread. the special thing is that the lining was not connected at the bottom. just like the 30s 101lj from hellers cafe in pauls book.

sounds perfect, and the lining is really special for that time period. the late 40s also have a very nice lining in grey and pink. warehouse is going to have a replica this year. i have postet it in the lee tread. the special thing is that the lining was not connected at the bottom. just like the 30s 101lj from hellers cafe in pauls book.

That's right, there's also another pic of a similar model in the Lightinng 'denim' 2 book (denim collectors in LA page - Zip stevenson). After those black tag 101LJ models of the forties and early fifties, the "stormrider" label first appeared about '56/'57.

Paul's book is great.

There's also a great pic of the earliest ,pleated front,/buckleback, Lee 101-LJ in the 'Boon' volume 4 (denim jackets edition), wrongly titled 'Lee stormcowboy', with the earliest od green and grey striped lining. It's an older book from '96/'97, my copy is now long sold.

I've spent years researching the 'Lee' jacket tags, especially the 101LJ (Lined jacket). The Lee 101J came out in 1932, the blanket lined version in '33 - they all had pleated front/buckleback and had "Lee cowboy" buttons. The buckle disappeared in '42/'43, and in 1945/'46 the shape changed to the modern "Lee Riders" jacket which has prevailed since. Just love 'em all.

sounds very interesting. what is it exactley? its an 101lj from earlier then the 30s? never heared of that. do you by any chance have a scaned pic?

No, it's early thirties,( the 101LJ came out in '33) but there's no label in the photo, if memory serves me correctly. No pic unfortunately, but I do have a pic of the earliest, pre-housemark, Lee jacket label with '101J' stamped on it. It's from a rare jacket which sold on ebay in 2008. I'll get it posted soon, as I have to scan it - apologies as I'm not the most computer literate person. Will try and sort it today though.

wow dr great infos from you here.

does the pleated 101LJ look like the lee cowboy 101j of the same time?

i guess it must be the first pleaded lee then before they stared with the stormrider in the 30s.

very interesting. and thanks

Paul's book is great.

The Lee 101J ( 101 jacket) came out in 1932, the blanket lined version (101 L J) in '33 - they ALL had pleated fronts/buckleback, and they all had "Lee cowboy" buttons. The buckle disappeared in '42/'43, but the shape remained the same until in 1945/'46 the shape changed to the modern "Lee Riders" jacket which has prevailed since.

Probably best read this (mod) bit again.

Also, from lengthy research done, the housemark tag was used up until 1946 on alot of Lee's jackets and pants. There's some info on vintagemotorcyclejackets.com

I'm going to probably throw myself into the Lions' den again here, but IMO the jacket pictured in Paul's book on P46, is the Earliest 101-LJ ('Riders' shape) from 1945/6. Just look on P54 (top right pic), "the NEW Lee Rider jacket", dated 1946. The riders buttons were introduced then to, although I have seen some early Lee Rider jackets with 'Lee cowboy' buttons on them. Probabably the transititional jackets, to use any remaining cowboy buttons up. The word "STORMRIDER" didnt appear on neck labels until the late fifties.

do i misunderstand it of where there two blanked lined jackets in the 30s, one like the lee cowboy and the stormrider, wich acording to pauls book was introduced in 33?

yes that was the page i was referring to. so both blanked lined jackets existed at the same time. as far as i understand.

here is the scan of that page, hope paul does not mind

3410755493_d1a455586f_o.jpg

Also, from lengthy research done, the housemark tag was used up until 1946 on alot of Lee's jackets and pants. There's some info on vintagemotorcyclejackets.com

I'm going to probably throw myself into the Lions' den again here, but IMO the jacket pictured in Paul's book on P46, is the Earliest 101-LJ ('Riders' shape) from 1945/6. Just look on P54 (top right pic), "the NEW Lee Rider jacket", dated 1946. The riders buttons were introduced then to, although I have seen some early Lee Rider jackets with 'Lee cowboy' buttons on them. Probabably the transititional jackets, to use any remaining cowboy buttons up. The word "STORMRIDER" didnt appear on neck labels until the late fifties.

Please read above again.

No, only one type of jacket, the early one 1932-45 looks like the jacket on P45. The second one 1945/6-1980's (when the they added two lower pockets) is the shape I've described to you in Paul's book on P46 and 54 (top right pic)

Fardin, here's the picture of the early 1950's Lee 101LJ (pre-stormrider label), similar to the jacket you showed from Paul T's book on p46. This pic is from the Lightning denim #2 book.

008-4.jpg

And a close up of the neck label

009-3.jpg

Label indicates the jacket was manufactured between 1953-1956.

Please read above again.

No, only one type of jacket, the early one 1932-45 looks like the jacket on P45. The second one 1945/6-1980's (when the they added two lower pockets) is the shape I've described to you in Paul's book on P46 and 54 (top right pic)

Hmm... so you reckon the Stormrider from Heller's cafe is 1940s ?

Lightning seem to refer to the Prestige 401 as the 101J. Lee told me the 401 launched in 1925 and the 101 J in 1932. That eBay jacket would indiate it's a new stock number, not a new design, then. Unfortunately Joe Vega, who looked after the Lee archives, has retired and I tinlk they've mothballed the collection, so I can't query this.

Great jackets btw Heech!

very nice dr_heech, and thanks for the scan, istill wonder if you can also scan the lee cowboys 101LJ, the lined jacket you were talking about from zoom mag.

here is a pic i have from the warehouse-lee blog, it is the same jacket that you posted with the same lining and lable.

o0800053310154955122.jpg?t=1239125474

hellers jacket has a different lable , it has the old housemark lable just like the real mccyos lee 101LJ

http://store.shopping.yahoo.co.jp/threeeight/rmc-mj6133-140.html

i still i think that your theory of lee bringing out the lee rider jacket and the lee stormrider around the same time makes sense.

yes paul it is a pity that lee closed their archive. although levis has a longer history in making jeans its still strange that we have to guess around when it comes to lee jeans.

Hmm... so you reckon the Stormrider from Heller's cafe is 1940s ?

Lightning seem to refer to the Prestige 401 as the 101J. Lee told me the 401 launched in 1925 and the 101 J in 1932. That eBay jacket would indiate it's a new stock number, not a new design, then. Unfortunately Joe Vega, who looked after the Lee archives, has retired and I tinlk they've mothballed the collection, so I can't query this.

Great jackets btw Heech!

Thanks Paul,

All I know is the Lee 101Jean came out in 1924, the Lee 101Jacket in '32 (identical to your prestige 401) and the lined 101Jacket in '33. It was also referred to as "Lee cowboy" , had one pocket/pleated front and buckleback and Lee cowboy buttons.

The "Riders" jacket came out in 1945/6 (lined or unlined)- the jacket in your book has those "riders" buttons. You also have the 'in-house ad on p54 introducing the new RIDERS jacket. The whole design and wording changed between 1942-1945, from Cowboy to Riders (jeans + jackets).

The white label with the word STORMRIDER didn't appear in neck labels until 1956.