Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

Spent the last two weeks inspecting roofs after a major hail storm.  Not sure I'm a big fan of the Chromexel on these 1000miles.  After spending the day out I can't wear them in the office for meetings until I have put in some TLC.

Any suggestions?

Nov282012230_zps17536a2d.jpg

Edited by Noodle36

Obenauf's LP works great for CXL scuffs, just rub some directly into those spots with a finger, then hit it with a horse hair brush and they'll become a lot less apparent.  Obviously won't replace the lost grain surface, but it blends the scuffs nicely.  

Edited by hollowsleather

@noodle36 either do what @hollowsleather suggested or find a matching colour creme and massage into the boot, then either hit with the brush or add polish if you like a more clean appearance vs rugid look and hit it with the brush. 

I had my beat-to-shit Red Wing Centennials resoled recently.  It was done by RW via BlackBlue's service.  I'm very happy with these and I can only regret all the RW's I've thrown in the trash when they got old.

The soles seemed to kick these pancakes back into shape.  E2 is my width and after seeing the shape revive in these, my opinion now is that D boots most definitely do NOT "stretch to fit" everybody.  Wear your width.

9211038329_c65fd6db0b_o.jpg

9211038275_d21f1e0c9b_o.jpg

9213819436_97e7a3a6e7_o.jpg

And some props -- thanks guys.

9213819378_a02029ca9e_o.jpg

k3e9pYR.jpg

MKIAQx5.jpg

yQsj7Ym.jpg

LL Bean Katahdins, after a mink oil application. ~1 year of almost daily wear, including a Canadian winter.

It looks like the soles are getting visibly damaged and the stitching is coming undone. I'm thinking of getting it repaired/recrafted sometime soon.

Totally agree. Getting the right fit - both in width and most definitely the last - just should not be compromised!

Looking after your feet has fundamental significance to well-being in my opinion. Boots have gotta fit good when you first get them, in my experience if they don't fit right when you try them they never really do. Boots ain't jeans, stretch to fit is not the idea - hallux abducto valgus is not a right of passage!

Yeah, it's bad for the feet and the boots will deform horribly as they "stretch".  I don't think resoling would spring back the shape of any undersized width.

Edited by jyoni

Totally agree. Getting the right fit - both in width and most definitely the last - just should not be compromised!

Looking after your feet has fundamental significance to well-being in my opinion. Boots have gotta fit good when you first get them, in my experience if they don't fit right when you try them they never really do. Boots ain't jeans, stretch to fit is not the idea - hallux abducto valgus is not a right of passage!

concur.  i'm E, so i stay away from shoe models/brands that don't offer wide sizes  ... main reason why i stay away from Stow, RW GT,  etc.  

however,    there are some UK G equivalent that sometimes work for me [ie, WL].  so, the shape of the last & the type of leather used [stretch potential],  are also  factors to consider,  IMO. 

Edited by BrownMetallic

yeah,  the length is fine on mine, NOW.  when i 1st got them though, i regretted not sizing up cuz the boots were stiff like wooden clogs & there's no room for insole or extra thick socks to cushion the break in.  i almost gave up on them.

however,  i picked WL for a chance to explore & get a fresh new/different boots experience ... otherwise i could've cruised with another White's for the competition.   it's really a well made working boots ....  the reversed kip butt leather is no push over.  it's gonna take months of proper wear to release the beauty from the beast :)  

• sufu1 changed the title to Shoes that look better with age...