Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

I thought these were in the 2045 last, which is not so narrow in the toebox as the 2030...?

If 2045, can you report how the fit is compared with other boots you've worn?

BTW, they look very cool indeed...

Viberg 2030 last, Brown CXL and scotch grain

PhotoJun1562624PM.jpg

I wore a pair of Chippewas like these (but pre-LL Bean) for over 10 years.  They were great boots in every way, and held up longer than many more expensive brands. Plus, I think they look classic.

I can tell you that the longer you wear them the better they will look.  I remember that it actually took probably over a yearfor the leather to begin to really wear in, and it got darker and smoother as it went on.  In those days I did not know much about boot care, and just applied Mink Oil once a year or so (as my father used to do).  It worked well for many years, though I understand now that it might have been responsible for the eventual beginning of a split in the leather - though again, 10 years is not bad!

Not sure what you mean by making them more like work boots than dress boots. They look exaclty like work boots to me.  But you may want to try rawhide leather laces.

Took my first venture into decent boots last week and got myself some LL Bean Kathadin Iron Works Boots. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately, depending how you look at it) I had to wear them in ankle deep mud and rain from Thursday-Sunday for 20 hours a day, so they look quite a bit older than one week right now (they did break in fantastically though!). I gave them a quick clean and a once-over with some cheap leather oil because it's all I had at the time and they were really dried out, but I'd like to do something to them to give it it more casual look, as opposed to a work boot look. Is it too late to do that, and if not, what should I try?

Thanks.

I wore a pair of Chippewas like these (but pre-LL Bean) for over 10 years.  They were great boots in every way, and held up longer than many more expensive brands. Plus, I think they look classic.

I can tell you that the longer you wear them the better they will look.  I remember that it actually took probably over a yearfor the leather to begin to really wear in, and it got darker and smoother as it went on.  In those days I did not know much about boot care, and just applied Mink Oil once a year or so (as my father used to do).  It worked well for many years, though I understand now that it might have been responsible for the eventual beginning of a split in the leather - though again, 10 years is not bad!

Not sure what you mean by making them more like work boots than dress boots. They look exaclty like work boots to me.  But you may want to try rawhide leather laces.

I meant dress rather than work.

That being said, I did polish them and don't like them quite as much, so I wont do that again. Oh well live and learn :P

I think I'd use saddle soap on them, and then do a Mink Oil treatment.  They say that over years Mink Oil will degrade the leather, but an occasional treatment seems okay, and I think it will work well on that leather.

Also, I think they look great as casual boots.  I wore them a lot like that.  They are good looking boots...

I meant dress rather than work.

That being said, I did polish them and don't like them quite as much, so I wont do that again. Oh well live and learn :P

Apparently coloured laces have replaced the back pocket hanky as a preference indicator for a certain subset of promiscuous homosexual males. Double 0 told me that.

Can't quite remember what blue means...

Apparently coloured laces have replaced the back pocket hanky as a preference indicator for a certain subset of promiscuous homosexual males. Double 0 told me that.

Can't quite remember what blue means...

Does this also mean you can blow your nose in them?

Edited by Mich

I would say no. I know that particular Vibram may not look as appealing when worn down, but you can get away without a resole until the rubber is about to give way to the leather underneath.

That being said, there are plenty here who have resoled simply to get a new look/flavor for their boots, and go ahead if that is what you are looking for. Functionally speaking, they still look to have many miles left.

That is a very easy resole, all they do is peel off the vibram and glue on another. the midsole they glue it too is the only part that would ever need to be replace as it is actually sewn to the upper (and only if you should ever wear that far down). The local shoe repair guys charged me $60 which is probably less than the shipping back and forth to spokane.

• sufu1 changed the title to Shoes that look better with age...