Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

White's/Bakers red dog rough out oxfords @ 5 months Wore these things all over Peru, and they wore like iron. The laces they come with are way too thin though. Need to replace them. When the rough out gets grungy, I take a nylon bristled brush and all the bullshit just comes off.

photo-9_zps80e2dcd6.jpg

Crat, deets on 5 and 7 O'Clock, please. Modified Last Alden at 5?

Yes sir, Ravello PTB's (dover pattern) on the modified last.

Edward Green Galway's at 7 O'clock. (Which may soon get company from one of their brother's in an other colour....did someone say boot contest?)

Edited by Crat

Yeah, haven't heard back yet from EG regarding the possibility of my MTO shannon request. If they haven't gone ahead and started making them I'll cancel and buy another pair of Galways and the Aldens above for approx. the same money.

Tbh I think I'll wear the Galways more than I would the Shannons I had in mind even though the latter look better.

This is the galway makeup I'll get if I can cancel the Shannons.

galway-do-large_1.jpg

Edited by Crat

Yeah, haven't heard back yet from EG regarding the possibility of my MTO shannon request. If they haven't gone ahead and started making them I'll cancel and buy another pair of Galways and the Aldens above for approx. the same money.

Tbh I think I'll wear the Galways more than I would the Shannons I had in mind even though the latter look better.

This is the galway makeup I'll get if I can cancel the Shannons.

galway-do-large_1.jpg

Very nice. Standard GYW, I take it?

New EG catalogue can be found here, if you haven't seen it already.

Yup, standard GYW. Double leather sole though, not the dainite this one has. Could I just treat them with Obenaufs do you think or should I use the saphir stuff I usually use for dress shoes.

OFC I've seen the catalogue. ;)

I used your Shearling Galways in my pictorial index (sig) under veldtshoes btw.

Edited by Crat

Yup, standard GYW. Double leather sole though, not the dainite this one has. Could I just treat them with Obenaufs do you think or should I use the saphir stuff I usually use for dress shoes.

OFC I've seen the catalogue. ;)

I used your Shearling Galways in my pictorial index (sig) under veldtshoes btw.

Depends if they're going to be getting wet 'n' dirty. I wouldn't bother if you're planning on keeping them 'dressy' and just use renovateur on them.

Some good stuff in the catalogue. I like the thought of the Nevis, in navy country calf and suede, veldtschoen build...

Great pictorial, by the way! :)

anyone has some (pics of some) worn in/broken in boots in #8 burgundy cxl?

doesnt Giles have a pair of Vibergs in #8 CXL?

I've got a pair of Viberg engineers in what they originally called Merlot CXL, which I think they may now refer to as #8. I will grab some pics when I can, and there may be some way back in this thread.

I've got a pair of Viberg engineers in what they originally called Merlot CXL, which I think they may now refer to as #8. I will grab some pics when I can, and there may be some way back in this thread.

you think the #8 merlot cxl and the #8 burgundy cxl are the exact same leathers? hmmm...

I think different companies have separate names for the same color cxl. I'm unaware of any standardized menu of cxl color variations publicized by Horween. Would make it easier for people to decide on colors when looking at different brands.

As mentioned above, #8 cxl, burgundy cxl and merlot all appear to be the same color. Viberg has icy mocha cxl which is very similar to the natural cxl bounty hunters I have made by white's. Russel's uses a tan cxl which looks like what other companies call brown/dark brown cxl(wolverine 1000 mile comes to mind). Alden indy 403's cxl looks like #8 sometimes to my eye.

Another thing to consider is the variation between different batches of the same color. The natural cxl used by alden for epaulet looks darker(a lot of gray and earth tones) compared to the light, tan/yellow, fleshy natural cxl alden shoes/boots from leffot or the shoemart have.

^ I've often wondered myself if the naming conventions are not different between whomever is making the boot. Although I know for a fact that Alden 403's are not number 8. However, the leather they use for their CXL Indy's is a lot different than the normal brown CXL I have seen. Maybe its because the ones I have handled are new/not worn, but there is a luster to them that other brown CXL'd boots (Wolverine 1000) seem to lack. Im going to go outside an take an iPhone pic of my natural CXL OSB's. They are basically brown at this point, but when I first got them, they were much lighter.

yeah i wasn't trying to imply they were #8 and mislabeled. I didn't do a great job of explaining; I was just pointing out that my pair has a lot of burgundy.

and i'd like to echo what you said regarding natural cxl: i've been surprised just how quickly my pair has darkened.

Anybody have sizing experience with Church's Sahara chukka boot? It looks like the perfect travel shoe with the crepe sole and they are priced very reasonably at Herring. I'm an 11D US on the brannock with a slightly wide, slightly high volume/instep.

Do they run narrow or wide? I'm wondering if I go with a 10 or 10.5 UK.

I often wear my Alden unlined suede chukka for travel but I like the idea of the Sahara w/crepe sole.

The Ace engineer boots look good ie, are the top ones horsehide?

SLAB, have you got previous experiences with Shoehealer?

I'm looking to get a pair of White's resoled with CP heels, which i will provide myself, and Vibram 705 half soles.

I was wondering if they could do the job, and maybe even do a 'figure 8' stitching on the half sole.

Looking for an address in Europe to avoid high shipping and custom fees.

• sufu1 changed the title to Shoes that look better with age...