Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

They are pretty f-in great looking..... Now *rummaging through closet* , what can I sell so I can order a pair....

show some pictures of what you wanna sell buddy!

I would love to see a showdown between both of you guy's Wesco Narrow Engineers. Feels so good to tease myself with something that will never be available to me.

Edited by illumin8em

Welcome back bill.

I've been waiting to see what these nomads look like. I'd like to see some worn pics. I don't think we've had those yet, have we?

I haven't seen any, but the CXL should break in pretty quickly. I also won't be babying them, so there should be some available in a few months.

Give us a hint as to style, price range, 'look' and we'll see what we can come up with...

She ended up finding a nice pair of black cap toe for right around $100 I'd say her price range for future purchase would be sub $200 but possibly more if she really likes them. I know that makes it quite difficult but I'm trying haha.

These are still very new and I'm clearly still in the honeymoon phase. However, I just wanted to share some images of a pretty decent shine I achieved on these Alden color 8 shell boots.

Fridays are a home office day for me and I'm usually burdened with multiple conference calls. This allows me hours of uninterrupted shoe care time (and helps me from nodding off during the interminable conference calls). I decided to have a go at my week-old #8 cap toe boots. If there is a model that's crying for a mirror toe, it is the cap toe.

Boots looked great with just a good brushing (Mac method). They were pretty drab out of the box but ~15 min of brushing really helped (1st image). For the shine, I applied a light/thin coat of Renovateur to the entire upper, brushed, then applied a few extremely thin coats of Saphir Cordovan wax just to the toe, followed by more brushing. I finished by buffing with a microfiber cloth and a couple drops of water just on the toe.

Because they have very little contrast, it's hard to capture the shine in an image.The pictures are a bit deceiving but there is no wax at all past the cap. The wax actually stops just shy of the brogued section.

This is the 'Before' image with 15-20 minutes of brushing:

DSC_2023.jpg

And these are the 'Afters' :

DSC_2092.jpg

DSC_2093.jpg

DSC_2083.jpg

DSC_2069.jpg

You can clearly see my reflection (standing with the camera) in just about every image <_< .

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6U57uPKnNs][media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6U57uPKnNs[/url[/media

]

I would love to see a showdown between both of you guy's Wesco Narrow Engineers. Feels so good to tease myself with something that will never be available to me.

Alas, such a thing is impossible, as his Narrow Engineers were in fact my Narrow Engineers... Traded across the pond years ago for a pair of custom Boss in that purdy burlap leather...

I haven't seen any, but the CXL should break in pretty quickly. I also won't be babying them, so there should be some available in a few months.

Post a fit-pic or two if possible. I've always found you can get a better idea about the bulk of a shoe aesthetically better if you see it in reference to a pant leg and the rest of the wearer...

Edited by BillWho?

Side view looks incredible. Buckles definitely look A little funky from the front. Perhaps they'll settle down a bit once they wear in a bit? They look awesome nonetheless. Comgrats.

As a side note, I had a nightmare last night. My White's finally came in the mail and they didn't fit. I woke up sweating. True story.

To those wearing White's Semi-Dress,

Are you wearing these with any aftermarket insoles? Sizing recommendations with/without insoles? I wear a 9.5D Redwing without insole and would like to wear the White's Semi-Dress *with* thin insoles if possible.

Follow-up... What insoles can you recommend?

no when i wear my semi dress or any whites for that matter i wont wear any insole. bcasue whites does not recommend for you to wear insole. if ever you need one get a leather insole ( tacco brand or somethinf else) get a good fit for a custom shoe with the price your paying for

why do the buckles protrude like that? Is it the new leather yet to settle, or is it how the buckles are designed?

Still love the Nomads, and am hoping to order a pair soon, but those buckles definitely throw me off. Looks weird.

It's the buckle itself. Most engineer boot buckles are curved to sit flush with the boot, and these just don't. I think they will settle a bit, and it does not look nearly as drastic when you see them (that pic makes it look almost freakishly protruded).

However, I will definitely be replacing these buckles.

no when i wear my semi dress or any whites for that matter i wont wear any insole. bcasue whites does not recommend for you to wear insole. if ever you need one get a leather insole ( tacco brand or somethinf else) get a good fit for a custom shoe with the price your paying for

Thanks ed! That's what I needed to hear.

As of mid-September, the wait time for White's was eight weeks.

On the phone they told me the fall was their busier time of the year and that "wild land firefighters" always impact their wait time.

I'd be shocked if the wait was longer at this point in time. It truly is rough.

• sufu1 changed the title to Shoes that look better with age...