Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

Is there a good boot for walking. I've got some Clarks Desert Boots that were comfortable but the sole is nearly worn through at the balls of feet after only 5 months of semi-regular wear. I've also got RW GT's that if I walk for more than 1.5 miles I get blisters.

I like to go for walks in the city after work, so it's all concrete sidewalks. These walks range from 2-4 miles. I'd rather not change into other shoes before I go. You guys have any suggestions for boots that might be better suited? I'd like to get some White's Semi-Dress or Wolverine 1000 milers but don't want to buy them if I can't wear them.

Fucking lol :D

A quick heads-up for those in the UK: TK Maxx (or at least my local one) have some decent shoes in at the moment, although they might be a little too mid-range for this board ;)

They've Loake dress shoes and a few selections from the John White Impregnable range; a few are obvious seconds but most seem to be in great nick.

Picked up a sweet little pair of JW grain brogue boots reduced to £70...not quite the C&J Islay that I covet, but more than enough to keep me occupied for the next few months...

john white's isn't really that good, rough construction&cheapy leather (IMO). but i've seen some tricker's at my nearest TK maxx, although it's not at it's best version (odd colors)

Is there a good boot for walking. I've got some Clarks Desert Boots that were comfortable but the sole is nearly worn through at the balls of feet after only 5 months of semi-regular wear. I've also got RW GT's that if I walk for more than 1.5 miles I get blisters.

I like to go for walks in the city after work, so it's all concrete sidewalks. These walks range from 2-4 miles. I'd rather not change into other shoes before I go. You guys have any suggestions for boots that might be better suited? I'd like to get some White's Semi-Dress or Wolverine 1000 milers but don't want to buy them if I can't wear them.

I live in NYC and walk between 40-80 blocks a day

have or own, Aldens, Redwings, Trickers, Whits, McCoys

and would recommend Alden Indys for a great pair of walking shoes.

they are an orthopedic type of designed shoe with ultimate comfort right out of the box if sized right, and on a last (Modified, Tru balance and occasional Barrie) that works for your particular foot type, plenty of information on them throughout this forum.

john white's isn't really that good, rough construction&cheapy leather (IMO). but i've seen some tricker's at my nearest TK maxx, although it's not at it's best version (odd colors)

Yeah, the quality varies widely amongst the ones that I've seen in there...I made sure that I scoured the place for the best pair...

I got a pair of Wolverine 1000 Mile Boots and they are absolutely great straight out of the box and I walk alot. I got a dog so 2 hours of walking a day is normal for me and my 1000 mile boots serve me perfect!

It´s a really great looking boot made by QUALITY leathers and will last a lifetime. Hope this helps...

a new model from White's, looks very good although that one picture makes them look like clown boots. who will be the first to get these?!

my vote goes to denimjunky :P

mmm...nice.... I have a friend off to Barcelona soon (lucky fella) ... what's the Euro equivalent of that size? And why are u selling?

Barcelona is not so bad to live in. Sux to work in, tho.

This is like a 43. Im selling because I want to be able to buy moar boots ;)

I just purchased these Alden Horween Cordovan Long Wing Blucher in Color #8 with a double oak leather sole. Believe these will patina nicely over time.

IMG_1290.jpg

put up more info and pics on my blog.

I'm somewhat jealous. I have these - the standard Alden cordovan #8's, with the black finished sole. My shoes would be, in my mind's eye until now verified by this pic + and your blog entry, perfect with an oak sole. how much would it cost to swap it out, or should I just wait until I need to have the sole rebuilt on them, and send them to alden asking for this sole, rather than the standard one?

Thanks! As these shoes were pricey - I'm loathe to do such a thing without some very specific guidance. What grit sandpaper? And what color polish? Clear? Brown?