Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

jstavrin, if I may ask, why'd you remove the vibram sole on the black ones and resole with leather? just curious...

either way, both pairs look excellent!

The bulkiness of the midsole clashed with the dressy black French calf, and I don't think it was particularly comfortable. It's an option I don't think I'd get again--single leather and half-soles are the way to go.

Thanks to everyone for the rep and kind words.

My friend wants a pair of WW2 repros, but he can only find the style he wants in in roughout brown, and he wants black. I know you can sno-seal them to make them darker, but could you use black polish and then dub/sno-seal them, or dye them some way? thanks.

US WW2 boots were not black, all brown so you won't find any true repros in black.

you can try to dye the roughout black and then snow-seal it...

My friend wants a pair of WW2 repros, but he can only find the style he wants in in roughout brown, and he wants black. I know you can sno-seal them to make them darker, but could you use black polish and then dub/sno-seal them, or dye them some way? thanks.

Buzz Rickson makes them in black.

US WW2 boots were not black, all brown so you won't find any true repros in black.

you can try to dye the roughout black and then snow-seal it...

Actually the WW2 USN (the Navy) boots were black.

http://rivet-head.blogspot.com/2010/10/1940s-wwii-era-usn-service-shoes.html But I don't know of anyone making repros other than BR, and originals are pricey.

But I realize these are not roughouts.

Actually the WW2 USN (the Navy) boots were black.

http://rivet-head.blogspot.com/2010/10/1940s-wwii-era-usn-service-shoes.html But I don't know of anyone making repros other than BR, and originals are pricey.

But I realize these are not roughouts.

Ah.. .I don't know the navy shoe line that well... I know the Army/USMC were all brown until I think 56 or so...

thanks for the headsup

I know this color is not popular with most traditional Redwing fans, they are pretty ugly to start, and maybe still ugly.. but they have this old shitty 60's vibe to them that appeals to me.

i think as time goes down the road, the long wear and tear on it will produce something worth it.. the color has changed from yellowish to more mellow acorn with wear and a coat of OB.

they have a long way to go...here is 3 months wear on these.

RED WING 8140

redwings_001.jpg

redwings_002.jpg