Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

I'm not sure if I am breaking in my new Red Wing GTs as much as they are breaking me in! I sealed them with the leather protectant that Baker Shoes shipped them with, and they held up great shoveling our driveway of the 2 feet of snow that dumped on us last night. I'm really pleased but mostly looking forward to a time when my shins and ankles do not feel like burger when I take the my shoes off. Pics to follow later (not of foot-burgers).

just got my first pair of

WHITES Harthorn Northwest last today

6 inch

Rough Out

Lace to Toe

Single leather midsole

leather lined

Vibram 2021 sole

Rolled top

i must say, i thought my Redwings were chunky...

Nope, these Whites take the cake,

def one of the chunkiest boots i have worn.

the single layer leather midsole and combo of the 2021 makes pretty thick it almost marshmallowy.

regardless..this goes without saying that the construction and materials are very superb.

i'm sure many of you know this, but for those who don't,

please let me warn would and say the Vibram 2021, or any of the solid Christy style soles have been a wrong choice for any kind of snow support on concrete. very easy to slip sideways, and no tracking support at all.

:eek:another rookie move by this cityboy... should have done better homework..

Because of the Northwest last, there is no Arch ease support in this boot style. I would also say there is almost no toe flex in this shoe's sole construction, they feel much like walking around in an encased ski boot. they are def the most rigid boot right out of the box i have worn, pretty mean, and my ankles and instep are very sore from walking a good mile or 2 in them.

i am hoping this will change and start to break in and flex out in the next few weeks of wear.

i hope!!!!

question,

in the future down the road, when these soles wear down, and i send them back to Whites for rebuilding,

would i be able to have a more traditional smokejumper sole and heel put onto these, or would that be a custom job sent off to japan to better do?

i will get some shots taken of them this week to share. this for now..

Whites_northwest_001.jpg

That is a lot of boot davi, very nice. A pair like that is on my list, and I think Riff has a similar pair.

The Northwest is built with a flat sole sans arch ease. I don't think they'd accommodate any type of heel because the last won't allow it. Just as my SJ's couldn't be worn flat without a heel. You have a lot of other sole options, but I'd think those will be fine once the NY slush fades away.

Give them time to break in. If you sized correctly they'll fit like a glove soon.

thanks morse,

always appriacte the good words and info.

yes Riff has a similar pair with a slight different heel, in red dog, they are really nice, i believe you have a pair or two of whites as well..

have or do you use anything to treat the rough out?

i know most of the folks snow seal them, but i am not sure if i want to do that to these..

Thanks Chrtmas,

i remember seeing in a japanese boots magazine, (i think lighting) how a custom boot resole from a flat 2021 was resoled to a Mini-Vibram sole and low profile heel, (kinda Farmer-Rancher styled)

it looked pretty old fashioned..

davichan; new boots are looking great!

coleslawyum; if I remember correctly you had your GT's resoled by Okuyama? I recall a picture of them that blew me away

a lot of you guys have been asking me to post better pics of these. sorry it's been taking a while but better late than never as they say.

Viberg Bobcat for C

5352290611_ae948e89f6_z.jpg

5352293695_bbb8cdc590_z.jpg

5352293125_7093f10ff4_z.jpg

5352292115_b7747b5092_z.jpg

5352904554_1e4648e83a_z.jpg

i've worn these almost everyday since I first got em (10/10/29) with the exception of a handful days. Anyway I guess when it comes to boots it's a matter of years or even decades rather than months...

lilldavid,

those are looking good,

nice to see some vibergs with good use on them.

question for you:

how hard was it breaking them in?

do you remember if they were hell on your ankles and arches the first week or two, and has to 2021 sole broken in?

Lilldavid, those Vibergs look great! :) Must spread...

Davichan - congrats! Your new White's are the bomb!

I can't answer for lilldavid, but I've tried on a friend's C-Store Vibergs, and they feel completely different from the White's. Much more supple, not as heavy duty. I would think the Vibergs would be like slippies right out of the box.

The White's on the other hand... It took me quite a few weeks before they formed to my feet. Getting caught in a rainstorm helped. Don't give up - wear thick socks, like Smartwool, and walk around as much as you can...

Both boots are fantastic quality. The Viberg's have a much more refined finish, while the White's are just pure tough.