Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

Finally placed an order for a pair of White's semi-dress. I've been tryin to save up money for these for about 2 years now, and I'm really excited.

I wanted to do it directly through white's but they have that $150 deposit and Baker's is soooo much cheaper for a custom boot. they wound up being 389 through baker's and would have been somewhere around 430 through white's.

I ordered : standard last, composition half sole, size 10.5 C, Antique hooks and eyes, brown edge, Brown chromexcel for shaft and vamp, standard trim, no liner, no pull loops, no toe cap. standard heel base, single celastic toe.

I got measured by white's back in september while visiting some family in Spokane, WA - and 10.5C was the size they told me, so I hope this works out.

What are the boots second from the right? They have a great dressier toe shape.

^^^Nice find a.khan. You always have to size up 2 sizes whenever you buy heels or soles, since cobblers need a little leeway to shape the heel and sole. Good luck with your adventure.

Extended Family

shoe_portrait2.jpg

Second on the C&J's. You won't be disappointed.

Coleslawyum - amazing collection - thanks for sharing!

Same goes for aso2004.. I guess you need a separate ryder for that ;)

Pomata - great pickups! I'd love to see more detail on the Christy soled Trickers!

Morse - proof that age just adds beauty to those suckers!

Cheep - very cool, I don't think I've seen cordo saddle shoes before.

For those that asked, some more pics of my winter Russells. Been rocking them for 3+ years, and they don't really seem to "age", other than a few nicks, and the leather getting more supple.

Insulated with 400g of thinsulate, with an airbob sole - so pretty much limited to 4-5 months of winter use. They're too warm otherwise.

Picture colour turned out crap with indoor lighting - but the second and third show the true green hue.

e4d3cca0.jpg

8ad1c25c.jpg

80415812.jpg

3de5d632.jpg

With Russell, you snail-mail your tracings & measurements, and then settle in for a 3-4 month wait. But totally worth it. Once they have your measurements on file, future orders can go much quicker.

Cheers!

I've got a question for you guys for my friend.

he's looking at buying some Red Wing Beckman's and was wondering how to size.

he wears a size 11 in clarks desert boots and wallabees - size 12 in vans and pf flyers.

can anyone give some advice? I don't have any experience with the boots.

my 9011s are size 10.

It's weird to me that your buddy is two different sizes in wallabees and vans. I wear a ten in both, and a 10.5 in most adidas/nikes/etc

also:

In my experience the beckman/GT last is definitely skinnier than the standard RW last, though I'm not sure I'd suggest sizing up because of it since they definitely stretch out over time.

HI beet & I concur w/ the previous statement even though we are all guilty of cutting corners from time to time. Best advice my trainer thought me was patience in all aspects of life including one so vain as purchasing clothes/boots. His words not mine, since we have had similar heated debates over this manner. we might not clearly see eye to eye on certain subjects. But he did instill in me to sacrifice now in order to reap the rewards. You must be patient instead of purchasing something of sub pare craftsman ship as well as quality. This could work out buying another brand which you are unfamiliar. It can be a gamble but whats life w/o the thought of winning or losing his earning. My suggestion is grab your cock & balls & wait it out until reaching for your wallet. Most of us have made this mistake in the beginning, But with years of exp comes wisdom follows. Which eludes me from time to time. Remember good things come to those who wait. Also look on E bay, have a H.N.Y. my friend . Take care to you and yours.

slide and aso, good to see there are people who are even sicker than me haha. no really, great collection of boots. It doesn't help me checking out this thread, it just feeds my obsession. Luckily im hard strapped for cash most of the time or i'd have a pair for every day of the month.

checking Takeshi's work is like magic. Can't wait to try my luck.

wish list for 2011

- Viberg service boot with perforated cap toe

- Red wing 8134/8160

- White's sm with block heel

- RW or Chippewa engineers

i think i need professional help...

For me, it's definitely better and gratifying if I wait until I have the dough to purchase the shoes / clothes I want to buy. I've reached a point where I just want to enjoy what I got.

I've always wanted a pair of SDs but never got around getting a pair, mostly because I already had a few pairs of lace up work boots. I actually just enjoy looking at everybody's pictures of their SDs and that's enough for me.

My suggestion would is to save up the dough and then reassess if you really want to spend it on boots, a vacation, a new couch or retirement. I've been in situations where I bought some boots and then realized I needed some money to fix something in my apartment or some other shit I should have spent that money on.

This thread is like my shoe addiction support group. I get my fix here and I can pretty much go about my life.

i adapted this after reading a blog about it or maybe even someone on here:

I set up a separate account (I use ingdirect, so you can earn interest too) and use that to save up what you need to buy whatever it is you want to buy. If you can handle not having access to that money (as opposed to in a checking account) then you can buy whatever you need to buy.

Has anyone ever had any experience with this brand of boots from Rakuten? http://en.item.rakuten.com/threewoodjapan/getta-grip-9900-peanut/

I want a pair of RW 8268's real bad, but cant swing the almost $500 right now. Wondering if these are a good alternative. I know the quality wouldn't be there, but they look pretty similar.

the RW 8268 are really a nice pair and I was lucky to get them new for 200$.

I don't know anything about the brand you posted there and I don't like the black label on the top (ok you could cut it off) but they might be worth it considering the brand is affiliate with Dr.Martin