Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

@ beetus

I agree that the 8268 are really cool, but it seems you're gonna have to pay a lot of money unless you're really lucky like b_f here. by checking rakuten it looks like they're gonna be around 470+shipping.

for less than 470 you could get a wesco boss - with the 40s 50s style toe - at bakershoe.com - it'd be an entirely custom boot made in almost every way to your specifications. not only would it be a step up in quality, it'd be a better looking boot, in my opinion.

http://www.bakershoe.com/shop-by-brand.cfm/brand/wesco-boots/product/custom-wesco-boss/

$429.95 free shipping.

I don't think the fact that the brand is affiliated with Dr Marten means diddley squat. THe quality of their boots - in particular, the leather - is dreadful since they moved most production to China (the old Northampton factory sells much better boots, branded as Solovair).

I don't think the fact that the brand is affiliated with Dr Marten means diddley squat. THe quality of their boots - in particular, the leather - is dreadful since they moved most production to China (the old Northampton factory sells much better boots, branded as Solovair).

agreed. my dad wore docs for quite a while, and his latest ones are total crap. the leather is like plastic.

Thanks for the input everyone. I think I'll just wait until I can get the RWs. They are one of the last pairs I want to round out my collection and I know I'd be happier with the quality, etc.

seriously man. look into wesco boss rough out...

Ever tried greasing them up with snowseal?

I've considered it, I'm just not sure how much it will help. I feel like they'll still soak through and they'll look all dark and greasy on top of it.

Riff, these are the south 40 birdshooter right? Love them. I've been waiting for my clays shooting mocs for exactly 3 months and was told it can take as long as 6 right now! We can thank the Japanese market for that.:) Hoping to get mine soon. Pic of what I ordered below.

3de5d632.jpg

2a9ebeo.jpg

planning to send my lonewolf engineers to okuyama san.. these have a single welt stitch.. planning to do double so he has to rewelt which is around 10,500 yen extra.. what do you guys think??

double welt stitch on engineers looks really nice (if they are close to eachother), ive seen the examples on okuyama's site and if i ever get a pair of engineers i'll be doing the same

rivet head, more pictures of the whites pls

..these are exactly what I hoped for. An overwhelming smell of leather, and old-fashioned rubber.

ruffrider2.jpg

I think the quality of the hide looks great. It has that waxy, translucent look (according to deninjunky it's Horween), and the colour works for me. QUality is workmanlike, in exactly that sense - good materials, simply crafted. These are the Derby boots, which I got with a plain toe. I think the punched toe would look great, too, in this colour, but as I have a few Derby brogues I fancied something simpler.

ruffrider3.jpg

ruffriders1.jpg

Needless to say, these seem phenomenal boots for the price. Now, damn, where did I put those leather laces?

Edit: thought I'd add some photos in decent light, as reference, and to give more of an idea of the shape. The toes are quite bulbous from above, not so much from anywhere else. They're comfy, but for the tongues, which are stitched into the uppers - this gives a fold which feels uncomfortable at the moment, I'm sure they'll end up fine. SOles are rigid and unyielding.

p1090723u.jpg

p1090724j.jpg

This doesn't really do the leather justice, in the flesh they're less shiny.

p1090725.jpg

THe inside is very plain:

p1090727l.jpg

Ah yeah, yours are the dark brown latigo. The chap at Fedora Lounge mentioned the other choices and I called Dan to check it out, and ask about the rubber soles. I like the toe on yours. I've just put mine on, it's bulky around the tongue area - designed to keep out water, but they fit true to UK size. they're chunky around the toe, obviously work boots, but with that touch of class. They look like something that was made in Edwardian times, or the 1930s...

Yes, 8, they're a little more generous than the Tricker's, you could get away with thicker socks.

They're pretty comfy - sole is totallty unbending, and I make a lot of noise clomping around the house in them! I think I need a pair of shoes for knocking around the house. Oh, and it's 28 months since my last footwear purchase, so maybe a trip to Northampton beckons. Shame my new faves, Alfred Sargent, don't have a factory shop.

I have been looking forward to a trip to Northampton. Especially since it is now probably only an hour drive for me.

I should call Trickers and c&j to make sure the factory shops are still operating in the same way.

Churchs wasn't really worth bothering with before.

Are you sure Sargent doesn't have one?