Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

asked Kyle at Bakers about the new Whites boots model and possibility of Horsehide leather

'Thank you for your email and interest in the new White's boot style.

They will fit very similar to the standard semi dress last.

Personally, I have been selling and wearing custom boots like these for a lot of years, and this style is very good looking with a good fit.

The price of the boots is the same as the smoke jumper: $414

The heel base in the picture is 'standard' heel height. I think it looks better with a 1/4" lower base.

The only up-charge on this boot is the toe cap for $35 extra.

I am hoping that HH is available next year but that decision is up to White's.

Thank you,

Kyle'

Yea its a nice looking engineer boot, but theres just something about RWs that I don't like.

No disrespect to Red Wing 2268 fans, but I feel the same way. I'm more of a Chippewa fan myself. I think the thing that rubs the wrong way is the square instep buckle. I like the vintage rectangular roller buckles as well as the lower placement of the strap.

I think that Wesco and Viberg are next after Chippewa. I would've put Buco at the top, but they are too damn expensive.

lone wolf makes the best looking engineer IMO. damn pretty.

I really like the toe and the scalloped heel on the 2268, although the sole/ heel materials aren't that great. I agree with you about the buckle and the strap placement. Having it lower down would seem to me to make it a bit more functional as well.

Viberg's standard 83 model is nice and there was a pair of short shifts posted here recently with a packer toe that looked great as well. I'm not that keen on the new Viberg with the upturned toe, though.

I need to check out the Chippewa. What do you think of the Toys McCoy Becks, coleslaw?

@wgmds: I agree the Lone Wolf is a beautiful boot. I would have bought a pair but there's very little info about sizing around and they are kinda pricey to be flying blind on.. Ed told me that they fit large. He said that a 9D fit like a 9.5E. They were out of them by the time I got to BiG so I never got a chance to try 'em myself.

No disrespect to Red Wing 2268 fans, but I feel the same way. I'm more of a Chippewa fan myself. I think the thing that rubs the wrong way is the square instep buckle. I like the vintage rectangular roller buckles as well as the lower placement of the strap.

I think that Wesco and Viberg are next after Chippewa. I would've put Buco at the top, but they are too damn expensive.

i wanted to get chippewa initially but since the 2268 was on sale and are available locally they seem to be the better choice

Lone Wolfs Engineer Boots are great too, but when you start going near the $600 mark, I would have to say that Beck (Toys McCoy) is the best out of all of them. Quality and cratsmanship rivals many dress shoes.

Lone Wolfs are indeed half a size from tagged and is a bit wider than a D width, but just size down one and you're good.

Lone Wolfs Engineer Boots are great too, but when you start going near the $600 mark, I would have to say that Beck (Toys McCoy) is the best out of all of them. Quality and cratsmanship rivals many dress shoes.

Lone Wolfs are indeed half a size from tagged and is a bit wider than a D width, but just size down one and you're good.

What is the sizing like on the Beck's? I have often thought about pulling the trigger, but always hesitate because I don't know how they run.

real size on becks and buco

Thanks, I knew you had the Lone Wolfs and the Wesco's, but do you have a Buco or Beck's pair too? If so, I'd love to see pics of them with some wear on them. The only worn pair of either I have seen have been on Marinabilly's blog.

Actually, marinebilly, who hasn't posted in awhile has both pairs of Buco and Beck. From what he has told me, if you are on the small side of 8.5, you might want to size down a half size to an 8. From my experience with Toys McCoy boots, they do run slightly big. I think Ed is on the bigger side of 8.5 so that why he's more comfortable with going true to size.

Hopefully MB can chime in since he has both pairs.

Thank you everyone for the kind comments!

coleslawyum

sorry, can't rep..

those are so nice,

i almost prefer that finish over the McCoys riggers...

is that on a D last?

and is it Horsehide version?

It's labeled as an E fitting but it feels like a D. I sized down a half size. It is the horsehide version.

More info on these please.

BUCO Cordovan Engineer Boots Style# BA11010 (Link)

It can be yours for the affordable price (current exchange rate) of about $2300 without shipping.