Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

Hi, I have a question.

yesterday I got my Brannock shoe device and there is an 11 in the length.

The width is shown on the picture.

What are you thinking about the size for alden indies? Actually I have one bought here in Germany in 9,5E - you get only E here - its like 'fits all'. I use an innersole and the fit is OK.... but not perfect.

Thanks,

Marc

what is your heel to ball measurement? if it is larger than the heel to toe measurement, you need to go with heel to ball.

the brannock should deliver the right size if used correctly.

and like turntabloid said, where are your toes in the 9.5E? Your big toe should be right below or slightly behind the moc stitching and the ball of your foot should be in the widest part of the boot.

Thanks for your infos!

I have to go with heel to ball = 11

(heel to toe = >10,5)

width = between D and C

In my 9,5E the big toe is right under the moc stitching. I knew, they are to wide... but I use the innersole and its OK.

About the length I am a bit confused... mmh.

I think there is no doubt about using the brannock - http://www.brannock.com/cgi-bin/start.cgi/brannock/instructions.html

Marc

Thanks to everyone who helped me out on my last question, +reps spread.

Almost last question before I pull the trigger: any opinion on Sanders shoes and boots? Quality, shape, etc? Feel free to compare to Trickers, Grenson, Adidas, and Nike (10). I'm hearing they're lower but still decent. Comparable to Loake 1880's.

And shit, while I'm bothering you guys, is Grenson generally sleeker than Trickers as I've read somewhere? Hemming and hawing over the Trickers Malton (with or without commando), Grenson Fred or Sharp, or whatever else similar comes my way. To clarify the C&J Skye is out of my range.

Thanks for the rep. I think that out of all the brands you mentioned, if you are going for a brogued boot, I would go with the Tricker's. However, they are a bit more bulky than most, but quality wise, probably better than most.

Sanders shoes, don't really have the kind of lasts that are unique or sleek. Its great for the price (goodyear welted, leather soles) but the skins are nothing to write home about.

You can't go wrong with Grenson either, but I would look at Tricker's first.

i've got trickers on my feet now! love them, but yeah, they're a bit bulky. not sure what look you're going after. i'm actually in the market for something a bit sleeker... maybe something like those tasty Moto's?!?

^I'm trying to have my cake and eat it too. I want a pair a brogue boots that is a slim but still provides a tougher look. Something can look slightly dressy if I put on some slacks (no illusions, I don't want to pair with a suit) but otherwise provides a strong base. Has to be somewhat sleek since the loosest pair of pants I own is the APC New Standard but normally I wear Geller pants, which are cut slim

I really thought a brogue boot with commando soles would do it but everything I'm seeing is quite chunky. The Malton is the slimmest I've found and pictures I've seen confirm that - along with the fact that the commando sole is only sold in their wide fit. At this point I might just order boot with a leather or regular dainite sole to gauge its chunkiness then add a commando sole if I think it'd work.

I'm so glad I didn't invest in a Pair of Aldens. Just go look at the J.Crew website. Haha

just cause they carry them doesn't mean every kid in America will be wearing them, esp. since they're charging $450.00!

Not every kid is wearing Mister Freedom and they carry that too...

If they were $99.00 then yes, but most kids can't afford $450.00 for a pair of boots....

I'm so glad I didn't invest in a Pair of Aldens. Just go look at the J.Crew website. Haha

I don't get it - are you implying that they aren't cool because Jcrew carries them or do you think everyone will have a pair now that Jcrew is selling them online?

Jcrew also carries quite a few other labels and I can't say I have seen the streets flooded with those designers just because JCrew carries them(especially at that price). Besides, most of those designer lines they are carrying aren't found in the vast majority of their stores so for most people, it's just another place online to shop for those pieces.

Yeah, but he's still waiting.

Also, Alden is not some hypertrend shoe company. They have been here since before the hype and they will be around after the hype. JCrew or not. Dudes have had this shit on lock for over a century.

I'm getting ready to start the process of ordering my Whites Semi-Dress with Cap Toes just like these, but maybe with different leather (still deciding on the leather) and was wondering if anyone has any tips/advice with regard to ordering through Whites or Bakers, sizing with the tracing, etc.

Thanks so much!!

Sorry, just now saw this post...

I called the number for phone ordering indicated on White's website and a gentleman named Mark handled all of my questions and ordering. He seemed to know exactly what he was talking about for the most part and if there was something he wasn't sure about, he put me on hold and went to talk to the guys actually making the boots. Great experience, great customer service.

As far as I know there isn't any cost savings going directly through White's...just the guarantee that if something goes wrong along the way they'll take care of it for you. And being able to describe what your vision is directly to the factory is comforting IMO.

Mine took about 4-5 weeks and they fit great. The only thing I'll stipulate in future orders is to make the ankle slightly lower volume. Foot tracings and measurements allowed my boots to fit great in terms of the footbed and throughout the toebox/midsole area, but if you have a low-volume ankle (read: skinny) I'd let them know that as well.

Good luck!

Yeah, Mark at White's is awesome. He helped me when I called in my order for my second pair of SD and after talking with him I changed my leather choice and a few features and that turned out to be the right decision for what I was looking for. His advice was great.

I think JCrew's selection of shoes this year is pretty awesome. I don't typically check their site on the regular, but it's cool seeing them carry Quoddy, Red Wing, and Alden all at once, even if they're a bit overpriced. Good news is we know where to find that stuff for a little cheaper.

just cause they carry them doesn't mean every kid in America will be wearing them, esp. since they're charging $450.00!

Not every kid is wearing Mister Freedom and they carry that too...

If they were $99.00 then yes, but most kids can't afford $450.00 for a pair of boots....

J Crew has pretty much admitted that brands like MF and Alden partly serve the purpose of making the J Crew stuff look more affordable by comparison.

Not to mention they're ugly as shit.

Sorry, just now saw this post...

I called the number for phone ordering indicated on White's website and a gentleman named Mark handled all of my questions and ordering. He seemed to know exactly what he was talking about for the most part and if there was something he wasn't sure about, he put me on hold and went to talk to the guys actually making the boots. Great experience, great customer service.

As far as I know there isn't any cost savings going directly through White's...just the guarantee that if something goes wrong along the way they'll take care of it for you. And being able to describe what your vision is directly to the factory is comforting IMO.

Mine took about 4-5 weeks and they fit great. The only thing I'll stipulate in future orders is to make the ankle slightly lower volume. Foot tracings and measurements allowed my boots to fit great in terms of the footbed and throughout the toebox/midsole area, but if you have a low-volume ankle (read: skinny) I'd let them know that as well.

Good luck!

Yeah, Mark at White's is awesome. He helped me when I called in my order for my second pair of SD and after talking with him I changed my leather choice and a few features and that turned out to be the right decision for what I was looking for. His advice was great.

Rock on!! Thanks guys!! I think I have it down to what I want. I have my order forms, tracings and supporting pictures of toe cap length ready to go. I narrowed it down to Burgundy French Calf as that is the only burgundy they have. Too bad they don't do Burgundy Chromexcel here in the US or else I'd be all over that. I take it that it was Mark I spoke with on the phone a while back - I didn't get his name. An older gentleman, right? Kinda sounds like he's been smoking all his life?

One IMPORTANT question, though. Toe Cap or no Cap??? I want these to be the opitome of 1930's workwear boots, but I'm now on the fence with the cap. Any suggestions, recommendations, pro's, con's, etc???

I want to send the my order in by weeks end.

Last question: I didn't fill out the billing information, 'cause Mark said when he recieves my order, he'll call me for the pricing of my requested options. They don't require that right away, do they?

CHEERS!!!

A 1930s era work boot was my inspiration as well when I had my SD made. I chose a toe cap because I thought it added a bit of reinforcement that a lot of older work boots seem to have.

Occasionally I second guess getting my boots in black...sometimes I feel like I'm wearing combat boots, and that's not the look I was going for. For that reason I've allowed them to get a little beat up and not as shiny. I'm sure I'll get over it, though. I'm already thinking about how it would be nice to have some in the distressed leather, in red dog, or in natural roughout.

Oh, and I believe they carry a burgundy color in water buffalo hide as well.

As to the billing, Mark didn't seem too concerned about charging my card right away, although I asked him to do so.

I'm looking forward to seeing how yours come out!

Yeah, a burgundy will be a welcome change to my collection. So you're for the toe cap. Yeah, I guess when all is said and done, if I opted for no toe cap, I'd feel ripped off because it would look like I was wearing a pair of my Engineer's when I looked down.

Yeah, I asked just last week about various burgundy's and they said only French Calf, which is fine. I like the smoothness of that leather.

Thanks about the card info and I will definitely post pics of the finished product.

I tell you what...boots are like tattoo's, you can never just get one. And when you're in the chair getting inked, you're thinking of the next one.

In this case, the new Wolverines coming out this spring. Can someone with 1000 mile knowledge provide insite on sizing? I want to get a pair of these boots as soon as they are available.

wolverine1000forspring2010.jpg

wolverine1000forspring20103.jpg

wolverine1000forspring20102.jpg